View Full Version : Gas Grill Advice?

jredfly
04-17-2010, 03:15 PM
There are two things that can make a man sad but happy at the same time, when the old tv goes and he can get a flat screen and second would be when the gas grill goes and you can get a new one. Well its the gas grill - all rusted out. Tired of buying a new one every third year and tired of replacing parts. Any one have any advice on buying a decent grill that won't rust out but won't break the bank either? :uhuh:

stcroixman
04-17-2010, 04:27 PM
those weber gas grills are solid and have come way down since I bought mine 8 years ago (of course). All stainless, they are like driving a caddy!!

Also throw a cover or tarp over it for the winter, it will add a couple years to a grill's life.

Bazza
04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
A second vote for the weber. I had a cheap charbroil from HD, and had to replace the burner every year. It never cooked even. I have had the weber for a few years now. Most people I know, who have a weber have been happy with it.

spence
04-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Depends on your budget. Under a grand I think the Weber is probably the best bet cost/value.

-spence

Notfishinenuf
04-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Have cooked on just about every kind out there. The best so far is Vermont Castings hands down! Keep it covered in the winter and it will outlast all the others.

Vic

Bronko
04-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Vermont Castings has an excellent reputation, top notch. I have a Weber right now that I really like, but the Vermont Castings may be next on my list.

basswipe
04-18-2010, 07:42 AM
My school of thought here is different.

I bought a $100 Char-Broil.If a part needs to be replaced the generic versions of these parts can be found in almost any Benny's,WallyWorld or Joblot for almost next to nothing which means no hassles.And it works well.I also cover mine after each and every use,it never sees rain unless I'm using it in the rain.

I also have to admit that I do a fair amount of cooking over charcoal/wood in my pit so for me the cheapy is a good option.

Back Beach
04-18-2010, 07:49 AM
I got a ducane as a christmas present this year and its ok, not great. Prior to that I had a Weber for 10 years. I'd get another one if I was spending my own money.

Another opition is to look into getting a rebuilt unit. At my club we recently purchased a rebuilt weber to use for special outside functions. It cost $100 and works as well as a new $500 one.

Saltheart
04-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Get one with a cast burner manifold. They will outlast the sheet metal manifold models by 10 years or more.

I was given a Charbroil for a present one year and I got to say i am surprised how well its holding up. It does not have the cast manifold which is too bad cause the rest of the grill still looks new.

A stainless one is raelly nice. I imagine a stainless one with the Nickel.iron cast mnifold would probably go 20 years with no p[roblems. Its a case of you get what you pay for. What I do is find the ideal model , then shop for as low a price as possible on it.

striperman36
04-18-2010, 11:00 AM
weber, 10 years no problem.

spence
04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't think there's much difference between the Weber and Vermont Castings. Both are still good but I doubt either is as good as they both once were.

Agree on the stainless burners, that's what mine are and they're very durable. Nearly every part on my grill is stainless and carries a lifetime warranty which is nice. It's an old Kitchen Aid made by Lynx.

Even better are the bronze cast burners. Stainless steel when heated won't last forever.

If you cook with a lot of high heat a cheap burner won't last more than a few seasons.

-spence

luds
04-18-2010, 03:08 PM
If you do go the weber route try to stay away from homies or lowes. If you compare the features that those grills have against what they carry at ace or independant stores you will be surprised at the better quality you get for a small fraction of a cost increase. the most notable thing being better cooking surfaces.

Mike P
04-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I had a Vermont Castings which was purchased from Home Cheapo---it lasted a whopping year and a half. It was used all winter, too--never sat idle. The company went bankrupt shortly after we bought it, and we couldn't get the parts to fix it :wall:

Vermont Castings in under new ownership now, and they're supposedly much better---but our next grill is still going to be a Weber.

spence
04-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Interestingly enough, I think a lot of the big name grills at the big box stores are just purchased names. Pretty sure both Ducane and Jenn-Air are...

I didn't know VC went under, but it doesn't surprise me if they couldn't navigate the storm after HD started to price squeeze them. When my father bought his Vermont Castings the price difference between HD and the local retailer was more than 50% more. Big difference in quality...

Here's a nice photo of my grill, at least the top of it :hihi:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachments/scuppers/21809d1180297011-ok-honey-now-can-i-go-fishing-img_3510.jpg
-spence

Raven
04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
with Gas grills outdoors except for not
cooking inside the house ect. mess and smoke

because i prefer to BBQ with 100% WOOD charcoal
for the flavor imparted to the meat that you
can never get from a gas grill.

It's almost as if the gas grill has become a
sort of status symbol like a second car
every year they are bigger
soon they'll have TV's built into them

right now they are adding fridges to them
side burners for steaming corn or lobster ect...

and Spence is advertising his favorite Brew on them
like they are a sexy girl in a Bikini with sushi on her Belly.

Just my woodsy opinion though....never mind. :o)

Sea Dangles
04-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Big Green Egg.Smoker,cooker extraordinaire.The Raven way.

Slingah
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I just got a CharGriller with side fire box that I BBQ and smoke with...had to do some modifications on it to make it hold temp
low & slooooooow
lump charcoal and wood for fuel

BigFish
04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
I like kickin' it old school! Weber meatball charcoal grill....$99.00 and it will last me 4-5 seasons before its time for new! I do not like the taste of propane on my food...and its inevitable! I do not mind the wait for the coals.....gives me time for a couple cold bottles of suds while I wait!:uhuh:

Raider Ronnie
04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm another one.
10 years with a Weber.
No complaints from my wife at all ! :rotf2:
I agree, cooking on a propane grille sucks compared to the old fashioned charcoal grilles !
Sucks we live in a society that we are in a rush for everything compared to when I was a kid !

spence
04-19-2010, 07:13 AM
with Gas grills outdoors except for not
cooking inside the house ect. mess and smoke

because i prefer to BBQ with 100% WOOD charcoal
for the flavor imparted to the meat that you
can never get from a gas grill.

It's almost as if the gas grill has become a
sort of status symbol like a second car
every year they are bigger
soon they'll have TV's built into them

right now they are adding fridges to them
side burners for steaming corn or lobster ect...

and Spence is advertising his favorite Brew on them
like they are a sexy girl in a Bikini with sushi on her Belly.

Just my woodsy opinion though....never mind. :o)
To me gas grilling and cooking with smoke are different things. I love the gas grill for it's convenience and heat control. For searing fish skin on cast iron without stinking up the house, making pizza or a perfect crust on a steak they can't be beat.

Smoke is for smoke. I've nearly bought an Egg a few times...perhaps...

-spence

Raven
04-19-2010, 07:44 AM
To me gas grilling and cooking with smoke are different things.

-spence

All i was saying is that i personally prefer real wood charcoal
as apposed to charcoal brickettes that need lighter fluid to ignite.

I like real small portable grills where you can cook anywhere with
only say...a half gallon of real wood charcoal...

there's simply no way you can haul one of these mega grills
around to BBQ at remote locations.... say camping , fishing unless .........
your driving LIKE ...a BIG motor home rig.

I don't own an egg... i have Hibach's and other cheaper Grills. :grins:

Nebe
04-19-2010, 07:55 AM
I have a BBQ pro that I bought at sears 6 years ago.... Works as good today as it did the day I bought it. I keep a tarp over it and keep the inside pretty clean.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slingah
04-19-2010, 08:00 AM
To me gas grilling and cooking with smoke are different things. I love the gas grill for it's convenience and heat control. For searing fish skin on cast iron without stinking up the house, making pizza or a perfect crust on a steak they can't be beat.

-spence

It sure is....real BBQ takes hours..low & slow
Grilling is HIGH heat
spence knows...he's a cook :uhuh:

Mike P
04-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Interestingly enough, I think a lot of the big name grills at the big box stores are just purchased names. Pretty sure both Ducane and Jenn-Air are...

I didn't know VC went under, but it doesn't surprise me if they couldn't navigate the storm after HD started to price squeeze them. When my father bought his Vermont Castings the price difference between HD and the local retailer was more than 50% more. Big difference in quality...

Here's a nice photo of my grill, at least the top of it :hihi:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachments/scuppers/21809d1180297011-ok-honey-now-can-i-go-fishing-img_3510.jpg
-spence

The box stores order in such volume that they can jam their specs down a manufacturer's throat, and offer "name" brands of inferior quality. A locksmith showed me the difference between a HD Schlage door lock, and the "genuine:"one that hardware stores sold--same was true of Delta faucets. Much cheaper components inside.

I understand that the new owners of Vermont Castings are not allowing their grills to be sold at HD and Blowes.

The Dad Fisherman
04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
-spence

Yep.....I have a Vermont Castings for Grilling up Steaks, Chicken, and Fish, Dogs and Burgers and anything when its quick I need

I have a Brinkman Side by Side Smoker for the Ribs, Brisket, Pulled Pork, Turkey, and anything else that I want low and slow.

Also have a complete Cast Iron Dutch oven setup for when I want to apply the low and slow to Casseroles, Desserts, baked beans, and when I want to fire somethig up over charcoal or Wood Fire and hang around outside.

All i was saying is that i personally prefer real wood charcoal
as apposed to charcoal brickettes that need lighter fluid to ignite.

You don't need Lighter Fluid to light Charcoal...I use a Charcoal Chimney and it works pissah, and No fluid flavor on the food

I like real small portable grills where you can cook anywhere with
only say...a half gallon of real wood charcoal...

i have Hibach's and other cheaper Grills. :grins:

Checkout the Lodge Sportsmans Grill, All Solid Cast iron. I got one of these for X-Mas and it is the Bomb......great for camping and it sears meat the nuts.

Costs a bit but you will never need to buy another Hibachi/Small Grill again.

jredfly
04-22-2010, 07:56 PM
I have a BBQ pro that I bought at sears 6 years ago.... Works as good today as it did the day I bought it. I keep a tarp over it and keep the inside pretty clean.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WOW! I wish I took better care of mine. My BBQ Pro is rusting out right where the burners are attached to the base after two years. Did you have the cast iron grate cooking surface? Mine totally rusted out and they wanted $80 for the replacement. The cast iron is supposed to heat up the fastest and be the best for searing but they don't last long with the humidity (as I found out). It is too bad to because I really liked that grill, especially for the price. Got a lot of good advice here. Went out and looked around, some of the new grills look like aircraft carriers. Looking for a good sale on a quality product and was hoping to keep it down around $400 but it looks like I might have to pony up another $100 or so to buy quality. Let me know if you hear of any deals out there. :soon:

Raven
04-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Also have a complete Cast Iron Dutch oven

You don't need Lighter Fluid to light Charcoal...I use a Charcoal Chimney and it works pissah, and No fluid flavor on the food

Checkout the Lodge Sportsmans Grill, All Solid Cast iron. I got one of these for X-Mas and it is the Bomb......great for camping and it sears meat the nuts.

Costs a bit but you will never need to buy another Hibachi/Small Grill again.
------------------------------ :uhuh:-------------------------------------
i needed a bolt for the wheel barrow so i was shopping @ true value and I just saw the charcoal chimney there...
What a great idea.. :think:

of course i'll make one =LOL...too easy :uhuh:

whered ya buy the dutch oven kev?

i am about to go disassemble a stone fire place and haul it away
and rebuild it here just because i want too :grins: and i'm rather crazy

i like stone....it's my gymnasium ...i think nothing of moving rocks
so big that you guys wouldn't tow them with your truck.
keeps me strong utilizing all muscles in Unison with max Chi force.

The Dad Fisherman
04-23-2010, 05:53 AM
whered ya buy the dutch oven kev?

Walmart sometimes carries the 6 quart Dutch Oven for under $50 which is the best price I've seen on it. Thats where I got my 6qt from. The 6 qt is good for cobbler, baked beans, biscuits...even made a Pumpkin Cheesecake pie in it by placing a pie tin in it and using it as an oven.

I have an 8 Qt which is deeper that I can roast a whole chicken in that I scored on Craigslist.....as a matter of fact I gave my son a whole chicken and a bag of potatoes one day and told him to make whatever he wanted with it out in the yard, I came home expecting 1/2 cooked chicked and boiled potatoes.

The Kid made Garlic-Lemon Roasted chicken w/ Rosemary Potatoes and Sauteed green beans out in the yard.....:shocked:....:drool: I'll post a pic of it later...it was delicious

Right now I'm trying to find a 10 Qt deep so I can do big roasts and loaves of bread in it.

They sell them on Amazon too....but a little pricey there
Amazon.com: Lodge Logic 6-Quart Pre-Seasoned Camp Dutch Oven: Home & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-6-Quart-Pre-Seasoned-Dutch/dp/B00006JSUH/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1272019715&sr=1-11)

I think Lodge makes the best Dutch Ovens....real solid and they will last a lifetime.

I posted the Lodge Catalog that lists their entire line...you want the Camp Dutch ovens as they have legs that let them sit above the coals to help with air flow around the charcoal.

Raven
04-23-2010, 08:16 AM
you make a man HUNGRY !!!!

of course with all this talk of cooking and grilling meat
i decided i needed a turkey blind because i can hear them cl#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g
and the friggan garden isn't even rototilled yet.

you think ROBINS eat worms...
turkeys will rip your veggies RIGHT out of the ground
with those big ole legs trying to get to them

also the bricks were in the way of moving /sliding my green house ends (wicked heavy)
down the slope ....so I spent the last 3 hours getting creative
and RAVENIZED THEM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/crow.png

into this.....and now i need breakfast and coffee number two :uhuh:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/THEWALL.jpg

Raven
04-23-2010, 08:41 AM
I posted the Lodge Catalog that lists their entire line...you want the Camp Dutch ovens as they have legs that let them sit above the coals to help with air flow around the charcoal.

is this the necessary method to bake bread by having it up
higher than the coals...

and are you placing bread pans inside? or no.

The Dad Fisherman
04-23-2010, 08:50 AM
is this the necessary method to bake bread by having it up
higher than the coals...

and are you placing bread pans inside? or no.

You don't need the legs but it helps to keep airflow going on the coals where as if the DO is sitting right on the coals they don't get up to that optimum heat. also helps stabilize the oven

No Pans for the bread....just plop the dough right inside....You can do biscuits, cornbread, anything you can cookj at home, you can cook in a duth oven.....you can even flip the top and use it as a griddle for pancakes or Bacon and eggs

Nebe
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
WOW! I wish I took better care of mine. My BBQ Pro is rusting out right where the burners are attached to the base after two years. Did you have the cast iron grate cooking surface? Mine totally rusted out and they wanted $80 for the replacement. The cast iron is supposed to heat up the fastest and be the best for searing but they don't last long with the humidity (as I found out). It is too bad to because I really liked that grill, especially for the price. Got a lot of good advice here. Went out and looked around, some of the new grills look like aircraft carriers. Looking for a good sale on a quality product and was hoping to keep it down around $400 but it looks like I might have to pony up another $100 or so to buy quality. Let me know if you hear of any deals out there. :soon:

yup.. 6 years. Cast iron grates. I never let it get super hot and I keep it clean and am pretty meticulous about it...

The Dad Fisherman
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Here ya Go raven....Garlic/lemon chicken cooked in a dutch oven out in the back yard.....:drool:

The Dad Fisherman
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Here's alittle DO Lasgana from a campout too....

Raven
04-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Here ya Go raven....Garlic/lemon chicken cooked in a dutch oven out in the back yard.....:drool:
wicked NICE TDF I just got home and was munching on PIZZA

good thing i was eating while checkin out those delicious looking meals!
:btu:

Raven
04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=The Dad Fisherman;763977]I

Right now I'm trying to find a 10 Qt deep so I can do big roasts and loaves of bread in it.
QUOTE]

we like the LODGE WOK they show
80 Bucks but not as thin metal'd
as others we've bought
stir fry -> rocks
as you retain the nutrients
cooking ever so lightly
because you kept it moving

PRBuzz
04-24-2010, 05:56 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/THEWALL.jpg

Fort Raven, put a few holes in that wall and mount the cannons! Or use as the turkey blind......

Raven
04-25-2010, 06:12 AM
there was already an OLD bottle dump behind there Phil
and it's lousey (nasty) with Poison IVY too... :doh:

So, i am going to spray it with " Round up " (often)
and make it my OAK tree leaf "dump" as i clean them up
and mulch (& shade the P.I. to death) it heavy there 3 feet deep.

That is my over look blind and i have a low blind i built yesterday
where i can string a very long LINE of 6 pound test and catch me some wabbits.
I will be growing Morning glory Right in front of it plus moon flowers
so soon you won't even see the Bricks.:uhuh:

The Dad Fisherman
04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
we like the LODGE WOK they show
80 Bucks but not as thin metal'd
as others we've bought
stir fry -> rocks
as you retain the nutrients
cooking ever so lightly
because you kept it moving

You can get it online from Wal-mart for $50 delivered to a local store....My wife is supposeded to be ordering it for me....just been waiting...and waiting....and waiting

Raven
04-27-2010, 08:24 AM
You can get it online from Wal-mart for $50 delivered to a local store....My wife is supposeded to be ordering it for me....just been waiting...and waiting....and waiting

I'd get the tracking NUMBER and track that sucka down

$30.00 dollar savings hmmm :rollem:

sure you ain't Scottish? maybe a wee bit?

Raven
04-30-2010, 04:10 AM
and saw this rack (stand) by lodge
that holds the dutch oven
6 to 8 inches above the coals

Amazon.com: Lodge Original Finish Camp Dutch Oven Lid Stand: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Original-Finish-Dutch-Stand/dp/B0002LYZNK/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_2)

jredfly
05-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Went with the Weber. After all the fine input on this thread and a little research I found out that the thing that makes the Weber so good is that the oven box is made out of cast aluminum - they don't rust out. I did find a less expensive brand by the name of Broil King that also makes the aluminum oven boxes but went with the Weber for their great customer support. Anyway, thanks everyone for the great advice and happy grilling! :drool: