View Full Version : Tuesday Cod fishing

macojoe
04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
First trip of the year went real nice! New motor was awesome and the fishing was great also!!
We got a good load of Cod and Pollock, no Haddock:fury: But that's ok for my first time in this area I think we did real well!
Fish on the bank in 100 to 130 feet of water, tried clams but all that did was bring in the Dog.s! So we just jigged. After a few moves we got on top of them just fine. I would say 1 in 7 were shorts with some nice 10 pounders.

YouTube - 004.MOV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r9ey2D2KRU)

YouTube - 006.MOV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v20ji4qudrI)

beamie
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Joe,

Do you normally gill and gut all your fish before fileting? Lot of extra work there. We usually just bleed and ice/slurry to firm them up before fileting.

macojoe
04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
yea, thats a left over from the commercial days, always gilled them back then. But they get packed real good in ice after as I normally don't clean fish the same day as I am always to tired

PRBuzz
04-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Nice day and full coolers, hoping for similar day/luck tomorrow. Few showers, maybe.....

Just got my 20hr service (after rebuild) and a clean bill of health, letting that engine rip tomorrow.

MarshCappa
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Nice!

niko
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
i need to get a video cam.

macojoe
04-21-2010, 03:56 PM
This is my first boat video cam, my brother bought it for his wife and she did not like it so I got it from him for $50, So I won't be out much if anything happens to it.

bigshrimpin
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Joe,

Do you normally gill and gut all your fish before fileting? Lot of extra work there. We usually just bleed and ice/slurry to firm them up before fileting.

I do . . . I don't want any cod terd paste near my fillets.

Raider Ronnie
04-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Joe,

Bleeding make all the difference in the world !
My trips, every cod/pollock/haddock ect... goes straight into the livewell with their throats slit (Nice having a huge livewell)
After some time in the the livewell they get filleted, bagged & iced.
Fillets get skinned later due to regulations.