View Full Version : PFD's suggestions/reviews

Slingah
04-24-2010, 08:36 AM
what's good, bad, cost, types...etc...
I have to get one a.s.a.p.
thanks

striperman36
04-24-2010, 08:51 AM
SOSpenders self inflating. you feel like you don't have them on afterwhile and do not impend your movement

I also have the ll bean yak fishing pfd that is very nice.

Slingah
04-24-2010, 03:33 PM
SOSpenders self inflating. you feel like you don't have them on afterwhile and do not impend your movement

I also have the ll bean yak fishing pfd that is very nice.

thanks sm36...Im going that route with the yak/vest pfd...

striperman36
04-24-2010, 03:38 PM
thanks sm36...Im going that route with the yak/vest pfd...

Try it on before you buy it. there are many different styles

Backbeach Jake
04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
I just grabbed one at SA a coupla years ago and have since wished that I'd given it more thought. Like freedom of movement. There are PFDs made just for the paddling crowd. More room for movement in the arms and are made not to ride up and choke the paddler. I'll be looking into one of those for this season.

Slingah
04-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I just grabbed one at SA a coupla years ago and have since wished that I'd given it more thought. Like freedom of movement. There are PFDs made just for the paddling crowd. More room for movement in the arms and are made not to ride up and choke the paddler. I'll be looking into one of those for this season.

my thought exactly...freedom of movement, clips, pockets, materials etc...

BigFish
04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Matt....go try some on!

Slingah
04-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Matt....go try some on!

going shopping tomorrow if you want to come....BassPro, LL Bean???

BigFish
04-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Come by my house first....you may regret it if you don't.

Bean local won't have much you want.....believe me! Bass Pro is limited....not alot! They will have some good rods though (Ugly Stick Lites) REI is high priced and also limited. Make a weekday trip to Berwick Marine (might be open tomorrow I would think?) but thats where I would start Matt! They are in Bridgewater.

BigFish
04-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Those inflatable PFD's.......what happens if you fall out and hit your head and are knocked unconcious???? Just hope your buddy can pull the cord for you???:jump1:

Slingah
04-24-2010, 06:34 PM
your probably right...:uhuh:

Nebe
04-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Those inflatable PFD's.......what happens if you fall out and hit your head and are knocked unconcious???? Just hope your buddy can pull the cord for you???:jump1:

some will go off if they get very wet I believe.

BigFish
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Sure hate to stake my life on "maybe's"? When I was researching kayak safety, someone wrote a chapter on an incident that happened to him where a buddy he was with rolled his yak and struck his head and was knocked unconcious......he said fortunately his buddy has his PFD on and he was able to grab him easily and pull him to safety......the guy went on to say why carry your PFD with you? Cause if you fall in the water without it what is the sense in having it at all unless its on you when you need it?? You can't plan when your mishaps may happen, just be prepared for when they do!

Rockport24
04-26-2010, 08:06 PM
so true, also, the type of PFD's that most yakkers use won't keep your head above water if you are knocked unconscious. Unfortunately, those types are much too restrictive to use while padding/fishing. All the more reason to go out with a buddy.

It's actually the law to have a pfd on while in a yak in the ocean, so do it!

this is what I have, love it:
MTI Adventurewear PFDs for a water planet - Calcutta (http://www.mtiadventurewear.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=26&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=40)

Slingah
04-27-2010, 06:22 AM
I tend to overthink everything...but I think I got what I wanted..
it is cut nice in the back, not restrictive and lots of mesh to keep cool
also it's called the "Striper" that helped in the decision making process.:uhuh:

striperman36
04-27-2010, 06:44 AM
also it's called the "Striper" that helped in the decision making process.:uhuh:

Nice

BigFish
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Thats the same one I have Matt!:uhuh: I got green though!

Backbeach Jake
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I like that one, Matt. Who makes it and where'd you get it?

striperman36
04-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Stohlquist Fisherman PFD: PFDs and Life Jackets at L.L.Bean (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/49865?parentCategory=3920&feat=3920-tn&cat4=8098)

Slingah
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Thats the same one I have Matt!:uhuh: I got green though!
this model does not come in green I do not believe...I saw the green one there...this one is just a bit different

I like that one, Matt. Who makes it and where'd you get it?
Fred it is by a company called Extrasport and I got it at Monahans Marine in Weymouth...$100.

Slingah
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
the lot of em'
Canoe/Kayak Personal Floatation Devices - Extrasport (http://www.extrasport.com/category/pfds/canoe_kayak.aspx)

BigFish
04-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Osprey I have.

Slingah
04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
knew it I did...

Adam_777
04-28-2010, 08:14 PM
I thought I have the osprey but after a closer look it isn't.Hmm...Maybe it is????I dunno....I wear it all the time is all I know.It's comfortable compared to the tight neck gasket on my dry top.

Tagger
05-02-2010, 07:27 PM

where'd you get that ?

BigFish
05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Monahan's Ed!

RipCaster
06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Check out the kokatat fisherman ~$100, its a really nice vest. tried on a ton and this on has a bunch of different strap adjustment making it fit nicely, straps are lined with neoprene and won't bunch up and the main body of the vest sits low enough so it's not a pain to wear if you paddle. The stoloquist was nice but I liked this one better.