View Full Version : The West Wall backflip

ANY LUCK?
04-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Amazing sight at the West Wall over the past week.

Small bass were being yanked up onto the jetty by high-test braid, and then -- as if by magic -- they were twirling backwards through the air in speedy little circles until: splashdown!

Is that the triple lindy? How many points for a 360? The real question: how good is that release for the striped bass, a species that's already taking a significant beating from pollutants and overfishing?

Joe
04-25-2010, 06:47 AM
It's exasperating, but there is not much you can do short of confronting someone over a fish. I'm not game to play fish cop, but it's your nose.

There used to be a old guy who fished the WW that they called Metal Lure Box Man, he would stuff short fish into a metal lure box, and slam the lid shut. He's long gone now, but the fish are still here.

piemma
04-25-2010, 06:54 AM
....and there's one of the many reasons I gave up schoolie fishing in the Spring. Between the jamokes who fish with a gang of treble hook, don't know how to release a fish, kicking fish back in the water on the beach or throwing them off the WW it had become so much of an aggrevation it wasn't worth the trip.

The upside is that, apparently, most of the small fish survive despite what these complete imbeciles do to them.

RIROCKHOUND
04-25-2010, 07:30 AM
Or Kick the fish down the beach in W because they don't want 'fishy hands'

Don't partake either for the same reasons. I'd be in jail by now...

Adam_777
04-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Yeah I can't see myself fishing for the little ones.I went out for Tog's yesterday and got skunked.Not even a nibble.Soon some bigger fish will move in.I'm still trying to shake the winter off.

Islander77
04-25-2010, 07:45 AM
What I dont get about the west wall.... Is when I drove by there yesterday afternoon, there was a ton of vehicles there on the side of the road. Now one was distinct to me cause of a SJ sticker, That being said... I dont get why people act the way they do, My self and Thumper went there other day... I got odd looks cause I was testing a rod, and he for his reel... But all we saw was people with short rods and little stuff catching small fish, didnt see backflippin bass. Again though the crowd was not big either. I as usual will go with out catching fish to fish areas were I do not have to deal with people seriously. Hmmm I miss my wellcraft more and more...:rotf2:

JohnR
04-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Went out for the little ones with my son yesterday (not to the wall though conditions were good for fish there). Glad he did not get to see that.

Some people just don't give a bleep.

chrisjoe13
04-25-2010, 07:58 AM
I saw the same thing last week. guys catching 11" bass, reeling them up to the top of the wall (where they were standing in sneakers), and then flipping them out to sea. I wanted to give the guy a kick in the ass so he could see what it feels like to hit the water from that height but I swallowed my disgust.

Clammer
04-25-2010, 08:05 AM
please don,t judge all & give [your] reasons of why you don,t schoolie fish ;;:uhuh:
to each their own ;:uhuh:

I try not to put down anyones fishing enjoyment down or how they choose to fish :fishin:

ie: boat /shore >> plugs/flies/ bait/ troll ....... if one enjoys how their fishing >let it be ;;

Thanks Clammer ............. I wish I could say [SCHOOLIES FOREVER} but I have mt doubts :wall:

chrisjoe13
04-25-2010, 08:09 AM
please don,t judge all & give [your] reasons of why you don,t schoolie fish ;;:uhuh:

I try not to put down anyones fishing enjoyment down or how they choose to fish :fishin:

ie: boat /shore >> plugs/flies/ bait/ troll ....... if one enjoys how their fishing >let it be ;;

Thanks Clammer ............. I wish I could say [SCHOOLIES FOREVER} but I have mt doubts :wall:

Yes, enjoy and participate in whatever type of fishing but maintain RESPECT of the fish.

cow tamer
04-25-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm amazed at some of the fishing shows with "pros" releasing fish like discarded trash.

RIROCKHOUND
04-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Mike we've beat this to death, and I know you handle fish properly.
Backflipping 10", 10" or 40" is not good no matter what your fishing style!!!

Sea Dangles
04-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I got my first yesterday in Westport on a bucktail.Threw it back like a boomerang.I'm done with schoolies,it's back to groundfish for a few weeks and then after May 15th I will be hunting for the monthly prize winner.

chrisjoe13
04-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Threw it back like a boomerang.

Does that mean it came back and hit you in the face?

Clammer
04-25-2010, 09:32 AM
I know Bri .

Should know better ;;

I saw a sight a few years ago & if I had a video .& chose to do so ........... It would change most peoples precepition of a true fisherman & surf highliner ... surfice to say .I left to go else where /But told another [very good] fisherman where some fish had just moved on the beach .......... he went & he called me to come back . no thanks //I saw enough .he called back shortly after / stating he too was leaving ,the scene was disgusting ;;
to be honest I never really cared for this guy / but I {did] consider him a good fishermen ........ now / personally , he is neither good fisherman or a good person ;;:devil2:

it other words IMO his name is now %$%$%$%$%$%$%$ :smash:

MarshCappa
04-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I watched a show on NESN the other day which I care not to promote but occasionally I give it a few minutes. He was tossing small mouths over his shoulders and laughing about it!:fury: People see that and think it's cool! :wall:

Clammer
04-25-2010, 10:26 AM
MC

he,s a AH :uhuh:

piemma
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Mike, you know I wasn't referring to you:love:

Clammer
04-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I know Paulie //

I wanted to go late afternoon til sunset / but the f #$%^&*( wind swung around to the S/E ;

got about 1.5 to see & them make a descion ><><

Sea Dangles
04-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Good people only torture bluefish I guess.How is it good conscience to abuse one species and treat others with respect?There are certainly more bass around than blues.Hypocrisy......I guess this site will never be bluefish.com. I just don't undersand how it becomes a running joke to stab,torture and disrespect one species and then ride a white horse regarding misteatment of another.Whatever makes you happy I suppose.

basswipe
04-25-2010, 04:19 PM
What a lame thread.

I guess those of us that fish for early season schoolies on light tackle and properly return these fish to the ocean are some how defficient to you mighty trophy big-bass hunters.

:hs::rolleyes:

RIROCKHOUND
04-25-2010, 04:50 PM
What a lame thread.

I guess those of us that fish for early season schoolies on light tackle and properly return these fish to the ocean are some how defficient to you mighty trophy big-bass hunters.

No. thosethat fish for early season schoolies on light tackle and DO NOT properly return (I.E. THE backflip FROM 20FT) these fish to the ocean are some how deficient to you mighty trophy big-bass hunters.

The wall in Narragansett is just as bad....

Dont try to stir up %$%$%$%$

basswipe
04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
No. thosethat fish for early season schoolies on light tackle and DO NOT properly return (I.E. THE backflip FROM 20FT) these fish to the ocean are some how deficient to you mighty trophy big-bass hunters.

The wall in Narragansett is just as bad....

Dont try to stir up %$%$%$%$

Ain't stirring up %$%$%$%$ Bryan.I just don't go for the elitist attitude that some how people like me are killing fish because we fish the early season schoolies.

I might ONLY be 41...maybe not quite as "experienced" as you but I am damn well not an idiot.Please don't play me as such.

Redsoxticket
04-25-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree Norman, that is how I perceive it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

likwid
04-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Good people only torture bluefish I guess.How is it good conscience to abuse one species and treat others with respect?There are certainly more bass around than blues.Hypocrisy......I guess this site will never be bluefish.com. I just don't undersand how it becomes a running joke to stab,torture and disrespect one species and then ride a white horse regarding misteatment of another.Whatever makes you happy I suppose.

Now now, they're obviously far superior people in their torturing bluefish.

Hopefully they'll teach their children to do this so they can be just as superior and awesome.

I wonder if anyone owns monstershallowwaterbluefishtorture.com

Dad 818
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
What a lame thread.

Funny, I didn't read it that way.

basswipe
04-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Funny, I didn't read it that way.

Imagine that.

Dad 818
04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Imagine that.

Still trying to find out where anyone was blasting people for fishing the correct way? While I don't condone what some people do to bluefish, I think the reason there isn't the outrage about that is because of the decline of stripers in the past, while it seems blues are always around.

Islander77
04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Now this is getting redundant... Wether ya fish for schoolies or "trophies" your always hoping for a big fish.. Thats reality.. In th end the old saying is true.." Fishing is a jerk with a rod and line in the water, waiting for a jerk on the other end.." :wall:

RIROCKHOUND
04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Ain't stirring up %$%$%$%$ Bryan.I just don't go for the elitist attitude that some how people like me are killing fish because we fish the early season schoolies.

I might ONLY be 41...maybe not quite as "experienced" as you but I am damn well not an idiot.Please don't play me as such.

%$%$%$%$.
you're ten years older than me :love:

I originally posted b/c I gave up on the spring schoolie deal because I can't stand people mishandling fish. Take comments however you want. We are all killing fish w/ releasing, whether it is a 50fish day at the ww in april or 3 nice fish on a June night.... HOWEVER! the 'backflip' ups those odds a bit...

basswipe
04-25-2010, 06:11 PM
We are all killing fish w/ releasing, whether it is a 50fish day at the ww in april or 3 nice fish on a June night

Then why fish?Might as well join PETA.Lord god almighty I'll never understand people like you.

Chris in Mass
04-25-2010, 06:25 PM
I got my first yesterday in Westport on a bucktail.Threw it back like a boomerang.I'm done with schoolies,it's back to groundfish for a few weeks and then after May 15th I will be hunting for the monthly prize winner.

Nearly pissed myself laughing - best response yet!

Consider this whole thread a winter holdover. I bet most people here fish for schoolies and do the right thing. Whew.

likwid
04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Then why fish?Might as well join PETA.Lord god almighty I'll never understand people like you.

He carries a defib with him on the beach.
Nebe told me so.

RIROCKHOUND
04-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm stating a fact.
I deal with it and am far from a PETA member.

What's to understand? I am aware of release mortality and do what I can to reduce it, but I still catch, kill and eat fish! I don't respect people who should know better about handling fish. there is my position. Yeah. what an enigma I am

Ted...
no response needed... the defib is for Nebe walking the rocks :D just in case

Nebe
04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I THROW THEM A FAR AS POSSIBLE WHEN I RELEASE FISH. THE CLOSER TO WHERE THEY HOOKED UP WITH MY LURE THE BETTER. THAT WAY THEY DO NOT GET LOST OR GET CONFUSED AS TO WHERE THEY WERE GOING OR FORGET WHERE THEY WERE.

THIS IS A NICE WEBSITE. I FISH FOR STRIPPERS IN PAWTUCKET

Nebe
04-25-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=EVNNm6SBTPE

bart
04-25-2010, 07:19 PM
:laughs:

Sea Dangles
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
I do not believe a backflip,over the shoulder toss, or any like thereof contributes to the mortality of a school bass that has been properly handled.Not going to make a difference in my opinion as long as it is back in the water in a timely manner it's good to go.Let's just agree that it is a good idea to protect our resources in a responsible manner without trying to prove who treats schoolies nicey nice or making schoolgirl accusations in our little playground.

RIROCKHOUND
04-25-2010, 07:39 PM
YouTube - monty python - fish dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SSOWORzw4)

But of course I keep pet bass...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw&feature=related

likwid
04-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Ted...
no response needed... the defib is for Nebe walking the rocks :D just in case

And to think he just tries to drown me at the UDL.

"No really dude, there's a rock right there, just step on it."

Nebe
04-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Im gonna hit that place hard this year ted.. :grins:

JFigliuolo
04-26-2010, 08:39 AM

If I'm thinking of the same place... last year it SUCKED (at least for the most part)

WoodyCT
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't think anyone intended to be elitist here, but many of us are gravely concerned about the state of the striper, thus it pains us to see the future of the fishery being mistreated and disrespected.

Nothing wrong with catching some schools for fun, but no need to beat the snot out of 100 just to pad your log numbers.

Treat the lil guys with respect by using single barbless hooks, over matched tackle to keep the fight short to reduce stress to the fish, and release them gently and nonone will give you he'll.

And those little guys and gals will return the favor by spawning more bass for the future.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
04-26-2010, 08:55 PM
If I'm thinking of the same place... last year it SUCKED (at least for the most part)

nope. east.. 2 bridges east.

likwid
04-28-2010, 02:09 PM

I need new boots.

basenjib123
04-29-2010, 09:35 PM

One night I was fishing up at Plum Island and there were 2 guys drinking and fishing about 20 yards from me. They were fine, no noise, not causing any trouble but they were clearly getting drunk! So about 2 hours later this joker shows up and starts casting about 10 yards from the 2 drunk guys.

The joker catches a small bluefish and proceeds to take a knife and puts in through the fishes eyes! One of the drunk guys sees this is says something to the effect of "you should stop being cruel like that" to which the joke tells him to f*ck off!

The drunk guy takes off his shoe and sock and fills up the sock with lead and goes over and starts beating the day lights out of the guy! I have to admit, I was laughing my ass off! :rotf2: The only thing that saved that clown was the guy was too drunk to chase him down the beach but he definately got in a couple do BIG THUMPS cause I could hear it hitting the mark! (that, and hearing the guy screaming). It was quite a site to see. I will also admit I did not have an ounce of sympathy for the savage that did that to the Bluefish.

Nebe
04-30-2010, 07:48 AM
saw some good fish tosses last night :hs:

likwid
04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
saw some good fish tosses last night :hs:

Any double gainers?

Clammer
04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
THEY MUST HAVE BEEN AIRBORNE WITH THAT WIND ;;

i TRIED WERE WE TALKED YESTErday / light rod .. all the casts I wanted to head north but went straight east :smash:

Nebe
04-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Clammah... :hihi:

wind layed down around 6, so I snuck out for a few casts. It was actually really nice and fishable.. OH.. and the bite was on like donkey kong...