View Full Version : Do you blow your horn/whistle as required?

Mr. Sandman
04-26-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't know about your experiences on the water but I find no one (except ferry's) actually use their horn properly in restricted visibility situations. I particularly notice this problem when I am fluke fishing in the fog and some fool comes by at 30 knots...this seems to happen every season. Also, in crossing situations in the fog I have seen some real knee-jerk (emphasis on jerk) reactions to maneuvering...never a horn signal.

As I am installing a new horn this crossed my mind on why few actually use the horn and what the rules were back from the capt's course days a number of years ago.

I looked up the COLREG's again and it is a little complicated: Sail/Power/ underway but not making way, in distress...One short blast two longs..crossing port to port...etc ..adding that to all the other stuff you are looking out for in the fog (radar blips, douchebags running full speed, lobster pots, rocks, drifting crap, fools in kayaks in the middle of nowhere, jetskies, buoys chartplotter, compass, girl in bikini on bow) hey...your plate is pretty full.

The fact is boats under 12 meters (about 39' or so) are not required to blast the appropriate whistle signals (but after talking to the CG directly it is strongly suggested you do),however you ARE required in restricted visibility to make an some "efficient sound" (this is pretty undefined as what exactly this is) every 2 min's.
When you are fishing in the fog or even underway how many of you actually do this?

I came across this thing called the "fogmate" a switch of sorts that automajically blows the horn properly. Have any of you used this switch? (www.fogmate.com (http://www.fogmate.com)) I am thinking of slapping one of these on-board have you seen/used/or know about these?

fishsmith
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
ME -
sound signals in crossing situations - No

sound signals in fog - Yes (and one eye on the radar)

Only time I see/hear sound signals in crossing situations is when it's two ships ... gets you thinking though ... I wonder what sound signals the PWC's use when jumping wakes :rotf2:

PRBuzz
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Do you really think that a pleasure/fishing boat barreling at 20-25+ knots (maybe using radar) in the fog is really going to hear a horn? In time to react?

I replaced my mast light from a 1mi to a 3mi halogen which I do turn on in the fog as I think they have a better chance of seeing the light versus hearing a horn.

No I don't use horn.

niko
04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
i use my horn in dense fog. i usually find a nice protected area and wait it out. i hate running in the fog, way too many people moving way too fast for my liking. my next rig will definatly have radar. a couple of years ago i got socked in over at the gut. i snuck over by pemberton and acored up in 5' of water. i could hear a guy coming (used the horn) and watched him put it on the beach at 15 knts 25' away from me. what a dangerous dope

Mr. Sandman
04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Do you really think that a pleasure/fishing boat barreling at 20-25+ knots (maybe using radar) in the fog is really going to hear a horn? In time to react?

You will hear my horn!:shocked:

http://www.kahlenberg.com/audio/model_f-3.mp3

:)

beamie
04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Like some of you have said. No I really don't use the horn unless I hear someone off in the distance and want to get thier attention. Idiots running at cruising speed in the fog aren't gonna hear your horn anyway.

The fogmate is a good product. I know a guy who works for the place that designed them locally hear in mass.

Ships always use the whistle in the fog. Sometimes they don't bother when thousands of miles offshore and not in a busy traffic lane and nothing on radar. when in a channel maneavering they mostly don't bother with whistle for they have talked to the other ship on the VHF already.

It really all depends where you are. If your going thru Woods Hole in the fog, you bet. If there really is no traffic around, no...

Best to just anchor up near a fishing hole tight to shore and chunk for a while till it lifts even with radar, sonar and electric toothbrushes........

Roger
04-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Drifting for fluke in dense fog gets a little tricky. You are technically underway, making way (drifting), so make sure you use the correct signal. Also there's the issue of keeping a proper lookout. It could be successfully argued that a single person fishing is not keeping a proper lookout. Then if you drift into a navigation channel you're the burdened or give way vessel. Nav channels can be miles wide.

It would suck to be hit by a clueless moron and then be assessed part responsibility because you were using the wrong signal and failed to give way or take evasive action early enough.

thefishingfreak
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm to busy texting usually to bother with the fog horn
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

macojoe
04-27-2010, 07:39 PM
When Fluking if I hear someone coming around I will blow the horn to let them know that I am around, but I am not sure that anyone ever hears it??
Some of these guys just come flying out on no were!
When under way I go real slow and there is always at least 2of us watching for any thing coming out if the fog.
This year I have radar and a 4 stroke and I hope I will be able to see and hear better!

Raider Ronnie
04-27-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm to busy texting usually to bother with the fog horn
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Aint that the truth !

Fly Rod
04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Sometimes I use the horn when over taking another boat and they do not know what it means, some people wave a friendly gesture as if they know you, others think that it is like screaming at them to get out of the way.

In fog I do use the horn and watch the radar.

Van
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Never mind pleasure boaters, I'll bet almost all the "so-called" captians don't have a clue what sound signals are required for different situations. Here is some info.

In or near an area of restricted visibility, whether by day or night the signals prescribed in this Rule shall be used as follows:
(a) A power-driven vessel making way through the water shall sound at intervals of not more than 2 minutes one prolonged blast.
(b) A power-driven vessel underway but stopped and making no way through the water shall sound at intervals of no more than 2 minutes two prolonged blasts in succession with an interval of about 2 seconds between them.
(c) A vessel not under command, a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver whether underway or at anchor [Inld], a vessel constrained by her draft [Intl], a sailing vessel, a vessel engaged in fishing whether underway or at anchor [Inld] and a vessel engaged in towing or pushing another vessel shall, instead of the signals prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule, sound at intervals of not more than 2 minutes three blasts in succession, namely one prolonged followed by two short blasts.
(d) A vessel engaged in fishing, when at anchor, and a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver when carrying out her work at anchor, shall instead of the signals prescribed in paragraph (g) of this Rule sound the signal prescribed in paragraph (c) of this Rule. [Intl]
(i/h) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to give the above mentioned signals but, if she does not, shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.
(i) A vessel of 12 meters or more but less than 20 meters in length shall not be obliged io give the bell signals prescribed in paragraphs (g) and (h) of this Rule. However, if she does not, she shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes. [Intl]
(j/h) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to give the above mentioned signals but, if she does not, shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes
k) The following vessels shall not be required to sound signals as prescribed in paragraph (f) of this Rule when anchored in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary:
(ii) a vessel of less than 20 meters in length; and
(iii) a barge canal boat, scow, or other nondescript craft. [Inld]