View Full Version : Ginger

Goose
03-02-2003, 12:57 AM
Many already know that ginger works well for motion sickness. Not only does ginger work well for motion sickness but also on migraines,arthritis, high cholesterol and blood clots. There is proof that for hundreds of years man has been useing ginger as an affective healing medicine. I recently read an interesting write up in a food for medicine book. Hope it gives ya more time on the water;)

The next time you travel(or fish in swells:)), you may want to stop at the supermarket instead of the pharmacy. As it turns out, ginger is one of the best motion sickness remedies you can buy.

In a classic study conducted by Daniel B. Mowrey, Ph.D., director of the American Phyotherapy Research Laboratory in Salt Lake City, 36 motion sickness-prone students were strapped into tilted rotating chairs and spun until they felt ill. Those who were given 100 milligrams of dimenhydrine(Dramamine)beforehand couldn't take the stomach-churning ride for more than about 4 1/2 minutes, and most gave up sooner. Half of those given ginger, however, were able to withstand the ride for the full 6 mintues, with less nausea and dizziness than the drug-treated group.

In another study, Dutch researchers testing the effects of ginger on seasick naval cadets found that ginger pills reduced the cadets nausea and vomiting, providing relief for as long as 4 hours.

Experts aren't sure why ginger suppresses a queasy stomach. But researchers in Japan have suggested that gingerols, one of the ingredients in ginger, may be indirectly responsible for blocking the body's vomiting reflex.

To use ginger for combating motion sickness, take about 1/4 teaspoon of fresh or powdered ginger 20 minutes before getting in a car boat ect.., advises Varro E. Tyler,Ph.D. professor emeritus of pharmacognosy. Repeat every few hours as needed.

So........when the next cod boat departing:yak:

Got Stripers
03-02-2003, 06:39 PM
Ginger works for some, I'm kind of a Mary Ann kind of guy.

Karl F
03-02-2003, 06:55 PM
I've been selling booze for longer than I care to remember.
Seen a lot of guys abuse themselves, and pay the price.
But this one guy who gets a jug of Ginger Brandy every day,
he always looks great!

Notaro
04-13-2003, 11:12 AM
goose, have u hear od a ndew technology for motion sickness, a quasi wristband? it's approved by FDA. the band will stimulate ur nerve on ur wrist to stop u from being feeling nasuous. and there are some other drugs besides dramaine, such as marezine. marexine is used by commerical fishermen in gloucester.
this pharmacy link has quasi wristband and motion sickness medicines.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...-PD-PLST-0-SRCH

goose, i want to ask you if it's possible for me to eat a raw ginger instead of powdered one? i come from a chinese/vietnamese family and we always have gingers in our kitchen if u know what i mean...
;)

Goose
04-13-2003, 03:09 PM
not realy sure whats the best way to take it. maybe a pill form at nutrition store.

Notaro
04-14-2003, 02:18 PM
probably...