View Full Version : Attn. Young anglers

IFG
03-02-2003, 08:25 PM
All young anglers John has asked me to write an article about young anglers I ant to hear thoughts and tactics tips and tricks

Parents of young anglers I want to hear how your getting kids interested and where your taking them.

Thanks

Fish_n_Dive
03-02-2003, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure if this is what your looking for, but here it goes anyway. I'm 15 so i guess this makes me a young angler.:smash:

My family has a house in s. bristol Maine. (near Boothbay) we go up there over the summer, and being on the water, fishing was a natural thing to do.
My grandfather has a house in Sun Valley ID and we go out there sometimes in feb. to visit him. he is a somewhat avid fly fisherman ( i use the trem avid loosely). one time when we were visiting him he sugested that we try it, so we did. neadless to say that while wading the river in feb i fell in :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: but a little exposure to icy water couln't stop me. i have learned to love the sport of fishing, and am looking foward to getting the rods out of the closet.
Noah:happy:

fishsmith
03-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Ifishgibbs,
I keep it as simple as possible when I take my boys fishing, they're very young at 4 & 2. one hook, one weight and precut squid strips.
On the boat they're always in life jackets and we target small plentiful fish like scup, but the beauty of this style fishing we also pick up fluke, schoolies, seabass, searobin, ect.. Setting up minnow traps is also a big hit. But they're kids and I find you've got to keep mixing it up, fish for 1/2 hr, beach the boat and run around a bit, go back out, let the boys steer the boat and food is a must have.
Oh yeah, don't forget the sunscreen.

Notaro
03-03-2003, 02:33 PM
well, i begin my first fishing on the freshwater and caught some sunfish and perch. then i begin hunting for largemouths. until i decided to challenge myself to saltwater. it was difficult for me. i begin learning knots, techniques, and tricks from other anglers, internet, and b&t. i use stren florocarbon line for old fish pier. other line i use for beach like big game and circle hooks. i catch scups and black seabass by using a flounder rig on the boat. i use squids, clams, and fish for baits. i fillet mackerels because it's easier for striper to eat and it emits their smells. and wear apporiate footwear when walking on the beach. do not carry excessive equipments. keep it mimimal. older angers with attitudes will affect young anglers. a party boat is great for young anglers. they can bring their own outfit. dont send them to a heavy sur or a long beach. and they shld bring their own friends to go with.

IFG
03-03-2003, 07:10 PM
g thanks

Notaro
03-03-2003, 07:12 PM
are you satisfied with our helps?

IFG
03-03-2003, 07:37 PM
yes thank you

Notaro
03-03-2003, 07:53 PM
good.

Strider
03-03-2003, 09:54 PM
October of last year, I took my son Sean and his cousin Joey both are 9, out for their first surf fishing trip to Charlestown Beach. We hit the beach just before false dawn and the tide was just at the high mark. The water was perfect for them, waves 2-3' rolling in and it was going to be an overcast day.

Since the boys lack the skill & power for distance, I began to cast for them. I would make the cast hand the rod off and they would take turns working the lure back to the beach. The lure of choice was a red/white ranger 1.5 - 2 oz. I picked this lure because its a simple lure for them to work, you can cover a lot of water with it, a single hook and you don't have to worry about snagging the bottom.

That morning we landed 7 blue fish, all on the small side. However, what was most important was that tug on the other end of line and big smiles to match.

Goose
03-03-2003, 10:08 PM
I've taken my girls, age 9 and 11, fishin a few times. A good way to start is fish off bridges, peirs or causeways(short cast with lots of room)....those areas usualy hold scup, flounder snapper blues ect.. I TRY to bring just their rods(short and light) and spend the time baiting hooks and answering questions, it realy is fun. Always bring drinks and snacks. If the fishin is reel:hee: slow we sometimes walk near the water turning rocks, finding shells, skipping stones .....what ever! The key thing to remember is to have :)fun:), and don't forget the sunblock.

Jimbo
03-04-2003, 09:54 AM
I hesitated to reply at first thinking maybe my methods weren't the best, but after reading Goose's post I see maybe I'm not so far off base. My kids are 7 and 13 (though I may be losing the older one from fishing to nailpolish, boys and shopping with her mom). One of the first things I did was pull out some kids' rods I'd been given and set them up with the practice sinkers that came with them. We set up all sorts of targets in the yard and (all of us, Ma 'n Pa, too) got to practice our casting skills. It was like a game of fishing golf, and soon we had curious kids from the neighborhood asking to play, too. Anyway, that was the foundation that showed me there was an interest and I would remind them when the time came to really go fishing they had to remember to be careful of the hook around other people and concentrate on where they were casting, etc. First we did freshwater at a local park, then hit some docks and less populated shore on the Cape. I think part of it is don't make it a long laborious affair, keep it short and take breaks to explain about everything else going on, like bait, tides, what lures do, what fish might be around, birds, etc. Now, wherever we go, if there's a chance we'll see some water I pack their stuff and mine, though when we all fish I tend to be baitboy, line detangler, unhooker, bobber-stuck-in-tree-remover... but as long as they want to stick with it, I'm cool with that. The next step will probably be some short charters for a little bigger fish.

Jenn
03-04-2003, 12:11 PM
7 and 13 (though I may be losing the older one from fishing to nailpolish,

ooh just dont give up! I strayed in my teenage years but came back once I realized what was good for me!!!! it took me a while but I finally realized that my father did a wonderful job and I am GLAD my father was a toughie;) ......and these days.....I am starting to accept the fact that I have become SO much like him its scary! (sort of...;) ) in fact.....he would never admit it...but I think he is starting to realize it too......;) ;) ;)

repirts
03-04-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm Christian's Dad.

I've been fishing off and on all my life and remembered how much fun I had fishing with my Dad and when he was gone how much I missed it and him.

When Christian was about 4 years old I would take him to a local pond and he would catch sunnies and the occassional large mouth. It didn't take him long before he was consistently catching either the biggest or the most fish every trip. The look on his face was priceless! From there it was on to the salt and stripers. Today he can out fish anyone on the beach or in the boat.

My advice to parents. Take the kids someplace they will catch a lot fish. A pond full of sunnies is perfect. When they get bored- stop. Remember you're there to help and teach them. Be patient, you're going to have to bait the hook every two minutes. Pretty soon they will be doing it themselves and before you know it, they will be teaching you. Enjoy being with your kids. Time spent fishing sure beats time getting them out of trouble.

When you are fishing you are equals or, in my case, always second. One of these days I'm going to out fish him but I'm not betting on it.

Again enjoy being with your kids, take them fishing and you will establish a bond that will last long past your time - you'll never regret it!

Christian's proud Dad.

IFG
03-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks alot you guys I like the creative input be sure to read the article when it's posted

gilligan
03-04-2003, 08:00 PM
repirts ,i got to say im gonna be working on having kids soon and i hope to have a boy (hope but im happy guy either way)that grows up like him. your son has a positive outlook on life and a constructive hobby. im hoping he will sell me some of his work (jk ,,,,,but well,,, if your selling????):D
sorry if i went off topic :smash:

Notaro
03-05-2003, 01:46 PM
ifishgibbs, anothe reminder, when you take a person to go out fishing with you like a young cousin or whatever, make sure u know his level like beginner to advanced. so he or she doesnt rely on u tying a rig or knot for him or her. it wont be a sports or fun. make sure he or she is motivated to learn and become a well-round angler. and make sure this person is serious and willing to listen. u dont him or her to waste your time.

Christian
03-05-2003, 06:22 PM
ok, so im 16 and have been fishing for a really long time.
fishing is my favorite thing to do. i have been fishing for a very long time.
um lets see heres just some random stuff i feel like typing,
i fish alot. two to three times a week in the summer. mostly for stripers but the occasional cod trip. my favorite way to fish is with poppers and soft plastics. most of my plugs ive made myself. i got into plug making about a year and a half ago and love it. catching fish on things you build is wicked cool. i cast conventional, with the occasional spinner. my favorite knot is the uni. i can tie basically all of my fishing knots eyes closed. favorite place is probally plum island cause its so much fun catching fish there. definitly a good place to go for tuns of small fish and occasionally bigger ones. i havent caught anything more than probally 15# up there, but have seen one or two 25+ taken. cod fishing is probally my second favorite type of fishing next to stripers. i jig, bait is boring and anyways you catch beetter and bigger fish by jigging.
some tips on jigging: once you drop down and your jig hits bottom, i like to reel up about two feet by measuring how far i am off the bottom by pulling up two arm lenghts. then i start jigging. not fast but a medium speed constant paced jig, up and down and up and down. on the drop i keep a little bit of slack in the line. i dont watch the rod tip but the line right where it meets the water. if you see your line stop you will know its a fish because before you made sure you were 2 ft off the bottom, reel as fast as you can and set the hook wicked hard. another method you can use is what i call the butter churning method. i put my rod against the railing and hold the handle, using the railing as the fulcrum. this is for when you get tired. i dont really like the norweigian jigs, they twist too much, try the vertical express or other straight jigs
i dont know why i wrote all these random things on cod fishing, bored, homework is done and nothing else to do.

Notaro
03-05-2003, 06:57 PM
wow christain, you are a fine angler. im impressed. i would like you to show me the way. do you jig from a boat or on a shore?

SNS
03-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Im obsessed with fishing. none of my family introduced me. none of my family fishes. My dead grandfather (god rest his soul) was a great fisherman, so I kinda took on when he died about 3 yrs ago.....but i didnt seriously become obsessed since january 2002....now I have a 17ft boat and I cant wait until the season starts.,.....I LIVE OFF SALTWATER FISHING, LIKE AIR

Vic

Notaro
03-06-2003, 06:00 PM
SNS, i was like you last march 2002. and i ams till obessed with fishing. :laughs: