View Full Version : Any Toyota Salespeople here in S.E. Mass / Cape?

JohnR
04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Any Toyota Salespeople here in S.E. Mass / Cape? Mom is looking for new wheels.

ecduzitgood
04-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Buying Tips

Dealer Holdback

Many car buyers don't understand what the dealer holdback is, what it is used for and what its role is, if any, in the deal-making process.

Dealer holdback is a percentage of either the MSRP or invoice price of a new vehicle (depending on the manufacturer) that is repaid to the dealer by the manufacturer. The holdback is designed to supplement the dealer's cash flow and indirectly reduce "variable sales expenses" (code words for sales commissions) by artificially elevating the dealership's paper cost.

Many car buyers attempt to use the amount of the dealer holdback to compute what the net price of a vehicle is to the dealer, with the intention of using that amount as a basis for negotiating a purchase price.

However, as described below, determining the dealer's actual net cost is difficult even for seasoned automotive insiders. This is why we developed the Edmunds.com True Market Value®(TMV®) pricing system, which is our determination of what other consumers are actually paying for the vehicle. TMV® accounts for the effect of all of the manufacturer's extra charges as well as the dealer's hidden subsidies, and we believe it is the most important price to know when negotiating your purchase.

Still, some car buyers like to set the price themselves or push for an even better deal. And others might just want to know more about the holdback amounts and process. So we've written this article to clear up some of the confusion.

What Are Holdbacks For?
Dealerships must have an inventory on hand so that consumers can browse and ultimately select a vehicle. Dealerships must pay for this inventory when it is obtained from the manufacturer, and the amount the dealer pays is the price reflected on the invoice from the manufacturer to the dealer, the so-called "invoice price."

Now the twist: with the introduction of holdbacks some years ago, most manufacturers inflated the invoice prices for every vehicle by a predetermined amount (2-3% of MSRP is typical). The dealer pays that inflated amount when it buys the car from the manufacturer. But later, at predetermined times (usually quarterly), the manufacturer reimburses the dealer for that excess amount. This is the "holdback," so named because funds are "held back" by the manufacturer and released only some time after the vehicle is invoiced to the dealership.

Why the sleight-of-hand you might ask? Because holdbacks can benefit dealers in three ways:

Dealerships borrow money to finance cars based on an invoiced amount that includes the holdback. So the higher the invoiced amount, the more the dealership can borrow from its lender.

Inflating the dealership's "cost" can have the effect of increasing profit, since sales personnel are paid commissions based on the "gross profit" of each sale. Holdbacks have the effect of lowering the gross profit and thus the sales commissions.

Holdbacks enable dealerships to advertise "invoice price" sales and sell their vehicles at or near invoice and still make hundreds of dollars on the transaction.
Holdbacks Allow "Invisible" Dealer Profits
This holdback amount is "invisible" to the consumer because it does not appear as an itemized fee on the window sticker. For example, let's say you're interested in a Chevrolet with a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $20,500, including optional equipment and a $500 destination charge. Let's also say that dealer invoice on this hypothetical Chevy is $18,000. The cost of the car includes a dealer holdback that, in the case of all Chevy vehicles, amounts to 3% of the MSRP, or $600. (Note that the $500 destination charge should not be included when computing the holdback.) So, on this particular Chevy, the true dealer cost is actually $17,400. Even if the dealer sells you the car for the invoice price, which is unlikely, he would still be making as much as $600 on the deal (when his quarterly check from GM arrives).

Dealer holdback allows dealers to advertise attractive sales. Often, ads promise that your new car will cost you just "$1 over/under invoice!"

Almost all dealerships consider holdback money "sacred" and are unwilling to share any portion of it with the consumer. Don't push the issue. Your best strategy is to avoid mentioning the holdback during negotiations. Mention holdback only if the dealer gives you some song-and-dance about not making any money on the proposed deal when you know that isn't true.

However, the standard dealer holdback is not the only form of financial assistance provided to dealers by manufacturers. There are many other types of holdbacks and dealer credits that may be available from specific manufacturers at various times — some of which consumers may hear about and others of which are never disclosed to the public — but each of which can have the effect of reducing the net cost of a vehicle to the dealer. These include:

Advertising credits

Flooring assistance

Floor interest reserve

Floor plan allowance

Transfer balance

Wholesale reserve

Wholesale credits
Negotiate Using Incentives, Not Holdbacks
In addition, the dealer stands to reap further benefits if there is "dealer cash" being offered by the manufacturer on the car you are considering. In many instances you can learn about dealer cash in our Incentives and Rebates section. However, unless you know all of these other fees (and who does?), establishing the dealer's true cost can be frustratingly elusive. It's for this reason that Edmunds.com has established True Market Value® pricing that accurately reflects "what others are paying" by taking into account all of these fees. The Edmunds.com True Market Value Price® is the "bottom line" and what you really need to know in order to negotiate a fair deal. Check it out at: New car prices, new car reviews at Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/new/).

In summary, holdback is nice to know, but is just one small piece of a complex puzzle.

Domestic manufacturers (Ford, General Motors and Chrysler) generally offer dealers a holdback equaling 3% of the total sticker price (MSRP) of the car. Foreign manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen etc.) provide varying holdback amounts that are equal to a percentage of total MSRP, base MSRP, total invoice or base invoice, as indicated in the list below.

Make Holdback
Acura 3% of the Base MSRP
Audi No holdback
BMW No holdback
Buick 3% of the Total MSRP
Cadillac 3% of the Total MSRP
Chevrolet 3% of the Total MSRP
Chrysler 3% of the Total MSRP
Dodge 3% of the Total MSRP
Ford 3% of the Total MSRP
GMC 3% of the Total MSRP
Honda 2% of the Base MSRP
HUMMER 3% of the Total MSRP
Hyundai 2% of the Total Invoice
Infiniti 1% of the Base MSRP
Isuzu 3% of the Total MSRP
Jaguar No Holdback
Jeep 3% of the Total MSRP
Kia 3% of the Base Invoice
Land Rover No Holdback
Lexus 2% of the Base MSRP
Lincoln 2% of the Total MSRP
Mazda 2% of the Base MSRP
Mercedes-Benz 3% of the Total MSRP
Mercury 3% of the Total MSRP
MINI No Holdback
Mitsubishi 2% of the Base MSRP
Nissan 2% of the Total Invoice
Pontiac 3% of the Total MSRP
Porsche No Holdback
Saab 2.2% of the Base MSRP
Saturn 3% of the Total MSRP
Scion No Holdback
Subaru 2% of the Total MSRP (Amount may differ in Northeastern U.S.)
Suzuki 3% of the Base MSRP
Toyota 2% of the Base MSRP (Amount may differ in Southern U.S.)
Volkswagen 2% of the Base MSRP
Volvo 1% of the Base MSRP

When calculating holdback, use the following guidelines.

If a holdback is calculated from the:

Total MSRP: consumers must include the MSRP price of all options before figuring the holdback.
Base MSRP: consumers must figure the holdback before adding desired options.
Total Invoice: consumers must include the invoice price of all options before figuring the holdback.
Base Invoice: consumers must figure the holdback before adding desired options.
(Go to Current Incentives and Rebates)

Revised November 2008

Above from Edmunds website.

I would recommend going in with the names of 3 dealers and tell them that you are shopping for the best deal and the dealer who does best will earn your business . Do some home work and look up some information about the vehicles invoice prices (I think AAA gives breakdowns on price/invoice even with the options). Also check some of the online payment calculators to check and make a little list showing how much your payment should be (at different amounts) to make sure they are shooting straight with you and not sneaking in a little more through the financing. Also know the book value of you're trade but keep in mind they can't give you retail value for your trade and give you a wholesale (under invoice) price for the new car. Take note of any manufactures incentives available also (a little homework will pay off thanks to the web).

JohnR
04-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Thanks. Back in my youth I sold cars before moving to the service end ;) - I know the game :tooth:

Just looking for the contacts ;)

gf2020
04-30-2010, 02:44 PM
If you're willing to drive a bit, I purchased my new Tundra at Acton Toyota (http://www.actontoyota.com/index.htm) last month and had a great experience.

Clammer
04-30-2010, 03:02 PM
i,LL SELL HER MINE ><><><><:jump1:

MarshCappa
04-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Why Toyota? I wouldn't put my cat in one right now????????

fatcow
05-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Martin at Wellsley Toyota. Went to 15 dealerships befor going there. Best price around by $2000 and they'll work hard to please you.

Swimmer
05-01-2010, 07:13 AM
EZ thanks for explaing in such a finite manner. JR thanks for asking the question.

bigbuck28
05-02-2010, 01:02 PM
What ever you do,DO NOT GO TO SULLIVAN TOYOTA in kingston. There a bunch of arragant aholes that dont care about customer service at all. My brother just got a truck from them that is all messed up and they wont do anything for him. They told him to "go fix your truck yourslef" He is currently taking them to court. :uhuh: Id tell you more about how messed up the truck was but am gona stay quite untill he gets done grilling thme in the court room.

JohnR
05-02-2010, 05:03 PM
All set - thanks people - car purchased ;)

saltfly
05-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Where and What????

JohnR
05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Camry

ecduzitgood
05-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I am happy you found a car and hope the info from Edmund's helps others that are looking. I too sold cars in fact Toyota's back in the mid nineties. I might suggest you don't push the gas pedal all the way to the floor just in case ;) mediocre attempt at humor