View Full Version : Up Date - Commercial Fishing

Fly Rod
04-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Chatting with a few commercial guys this morning at coffee and they had said that anyone in a sector can go fishing May 1st, draggers, gill netters etc:, anyone in the common pool have to wait until June 1st.

The way it was said about the sector is allocation, lets say that you are allowed 4,000 lbs. of pollock, 30,000 lbs. of cod, 60,000 of haddock. If you go out May 1st and land the 4,000 of pollock then you are done for the season, they are saying that you aren't even able to go catch your allocation of cod etc:. How true that is I do not know. Wait and see.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Im surprised the number on the pollack is only 4000lbs, seems like it should be closer to the cod number, or should i say the cod number closer to the pollack numbers.

MakoMike
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
They are calling the low quota species the "choke species."

Fly Rod
05-06-2010, 07:33 AM
A person that I know had to have an obsever on his gillnet boat yesterday. He had to also bring the heads in and were countered as part of his qouta. Heads are the fish that were eaten by dogfish and only the heads remained in the gillnet.

On one of the draggers the obsever was also obsevering what the dragger was bringing up from the bottom such as rocks, sea growth etc: as sometime in the future this will come back to haunt the draggers as destroying the bottom. Imagine what the scollapers will go through with an obsever on board as they dredge the bottom.

This is the beginning of the end for many commercial fishermen.

Mr. Sandman
05-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Good riddance! Indiscriminate fishing methods must stop, world wide.

likwid
05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Imagine what the scollapers will go through with an obsever on board as they dredge the bottom.

Scallopers already have observers on board.

Fly Rod
05-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Yes they do. They have had them once in a while for a couple of years just to observe them catching scollops and other types of fish if any.

Now the obsevers will be observing what ever else they bring up from the bottom and record the destroying of habitat(bottom) of which the obsevers never did before.