View Full Version : fins

american spirit
05-02-2010, 04:58 PM
has anyone come up with a good way to strap fins onto your wading boots? what style fins do you buy?

Frankiesurf
05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Force Fins has adjustable fins. They fit over both wading boots and wetsuit booties.

What are you looking to use them for?

BasicPatrick
05-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Ditto on the original force fins...not cheap but awesome fit

piemma
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Just an observation so I don't want everyone to get their panties in a bunch but I am getting a kick out of you guys. Wet suits, dry tops, studded boots, fins. Just buy a frggin' boat will ya?
Christ, when I surf fished (for like 40 years), we put on waders, a rubber top and Korker sandles and we fished. Period!

We got wet every night. We fell down we got bruised up. That was surf fishing. I read some of these posts and I think you guys need to encase yourselves in a plexiglass bubble.

Oh I know! Here it comes. All the defenders of technology and how I'm an old bast**D who hasn't grown with the times. I'm ready pipsqueeks.:devil2::uhuh:

RIJIMMY
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Just an observation so I don't want everyone to get their panties in a bunch but I am getting a kick out of you guys. Wet suits, dry tops, studded boots, fins. Just buy a frggin' boat will ya?
Christ, when I surf fished (for like 40 years), we put on waders, a rubber top and Korker sandles and we fished. Period!

We got wet every night. We fell down we got bruised up. That was surf fishing. I read some of these posts and I think you guys need to encase yourselves in a plexiglass bubble.

Oh I know! Here it comes. All the defenders of technology and how I'm an old bast**D who hasn't grown with the times. I'm ready pipsqueeks.:devil2::uhuh:

I agree with you, I think people run out of things to spend money on.

piemma
05-03-2010, 11:17 AM
J
Got you PM. I'll look for you next time.

bassballer
05-03-2010, 11:49 AM
You cant wade out to that boulder 40 yards out.

luds
05-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Tim Coleman never stepped foot in the water. :smash:

Nice post, OLD BALLS!

Some of us don't have the means to buy a boat and in my case definitely don't have the know how. I've been on boats other than for a whale watch or a couple of party boat trips for groundfish maybe a handful of times. You wouldn't want me anywhere near you operating a boat. It's honestly just fun swimming to rocks and bobbing up and down in the water while you're hooked into a fish and it definitely gives you an advantage.

Definitely agree with the comment about guys looking for stuff to buy. I become less and less of that guy everyone year as I smarten up but am definitely guilty and the bs you see guys buying at shows every year is proof that there are plenty more idiots like myself out there. One day maybe I'll grow up to be as smart as PIEMMA:devil2:

JFigliuolo
05-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Yeah... you remeber when dirt was new.

I'm betting that If all the crap available NOW was available then, you'd have used it, or at least SERIOUSLY considered it.

Just sayin':devil2: And before you think I'm one of THEM...

I'm too cheap!

Back Beach
05-03-2010, 12:20 PM

I don't think you're old. Heck, you have a graphite shafted driver and six different wedges, don't you? Hopefully you still play from the blue tees.:hee:

However, if I ever see or hear you're using a pull cart its over between us...pull cart users are worse than boat guys...god forbid you do both...

Jimmy Fee
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Are you guys putting metal studs into the force fins? Are they durable enough to handle that?

Mr. Sandman
05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Just buy a frggin' boat will ya?
.:devil2::uhuh:

OT:

LOL! It is getting ridiculous. The lines between boat fishing and shore fishing have blurred. Frankly, I think if you are skishing, you are boat fishing. (the wet suit is your boat). At a recent show I saw a kayak so tricked out with motor, electronics, side pontoons, live bait tank, tackle storage, comfy chair, you name it this thing had it. I asked the guy... what's the point? He said huh? I said why not just get a real boat? at some point you stop fishing in one form and transition to the next.

I love surf fishing, but I own a boat too. So when one sucks I do the the other. That's my excuse.

luds
05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Are you guys putting metal studs into the force fins? Are they durable enough to handle that?

Jimmy, Check your pm's

piemma
05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
OT:

I love surf fishing, but I own a boat too. So when one sucks I do the the other. That's my excuse.

Me too. I got the boat because I got diagnosed with cancer and the chemo kicked the crap out of me so much i couldn't surf fish. Now I am in er-mission and I surf fish when it's too windy for the boat or, sometimes, just to get back to being pounded by waves.:uhuh:

....and Mikey, I only carry 3 wedges 50, 56 and 60 degrees. :)

GattaFish
05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
plexiglass bubble.

You got them for sale,,,:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

The Dad Fisherman
05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm an old bast**D who hasn't grown with the times. I'm ready pipsqueeks.:devil2::uhuh:

You say it like its a bad thing........nothing wrong with that...

I'm still trying to wrap reason around a $260 Plug Bag....just don't see it.

Mr. Sandman
05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
piemma,

Best of luck to you man...on all fronts.

catchem up
:fishin:

bassballer
05-03-2010, 01:23 PM
However, if I ever see or hear you're using a pull cart its over between us...pull cart users are worse than boat guys...god forbid you do both...

Amen. When I play with my father I make him leave it at home. I tell him i dont want to be in the same foursome as a pull cart.

DZ
05-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Piemma,
I agree. I sense that much of the new crowd start surfcasting by thinking they have to get out to that last rock to catch a bass. I call them "I wanna be a boat". I watch some of them swim through cow filled boulder fields trying to get to that last rock. Many of them haven't gone through that learning curve of finding out why bass like shallow water.

Surfcasters with years of experience like you probably started out with short boots/splash pants and chest high waders hence had to learn to fish shallow. Although I personally use a wet suit from time to time so far I haven't had the inclination or had to resort to actually swimming to a rock to find bass.

To each his own.

DZ

Ed B
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
There have always been guys in boats who will risk life and limb to get closer to shore and fish the white water; and there have always been guys on shore willing to risk life and limb to get to deep water. Too bad they can't swap places.

piemma
05-03-2010, 03:04 PM
piemma,

Best of luck to you man...on all fronts.

catchem up
:fishin:

Thanks man. I appreciate the good thoughts

piemma
05-03-2010, 03:07 PM
That's the way it was Dennis. Glad you remembered. I still have my old oilskins. We never wore waders. I remember the first time Gil Guillitone saw me in waders he almost fell over. Asked me if I was going clamming.
Back in the day in was Grundens in dark green and knee high boots.

piemma
05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Anyway to all you guys, it was good to get some heated dialog going. I miss the old flame wars, not that I want them back but it's always interesting to disagree and get different points of view.

Crafty Angler
05-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Jeez, Paul, now you've gone and done it

You've got every geezer in the joint all worked up...:laughs:

In terms of gear, it really is a case of to each his own - life is short and if it makes you feel good, by all means do it

Personally, after a certain point I think you see through all the hype and hoopla and realize not every new product is gonna have 50's hurling themselves at you

A lot of the stuff - like $400-500 plug bags and $1200 reels - are either fashion statements or proof of a trust fund - or both

Consider that all of the record catches were made with equipment considered primitive by today's standards - including reels like some I have that only had a leather thumb stall for a drag

And, no, wisenheimer, I didn't buy it when it was new...:smash:

Goose
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM

You asked 4 it
I think you old timers are full of chit!! Great guys, I've met each one personally 1st class but get with it will ya. I lucky enough to do it all, not good, but I do it, except for trolling in the back of a sail boat.
If another modern way of fishing comes out tomorrow suck it up old schoolers,, and by the way...stick with pen squiders and mono too.

tattoobob
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I was going to stay out of this thread, but crafty you drew me in,

would never spend that much for a plug bag, but for reels you get what you pay for, and buying a couple of big money reels is worth it in my book, I am a hard working guy and I don't have a trust fund and it's not a fashion thing, they're work horses that have never failed me.

I do still own a couple of 704's greenies but parts are hard to come by and I kinda don't want to use them.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for, reels arn't made like they used to be, I don't want to be replacing reels and line every year

Crafty Angler
05-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Well, if nothing else, I'm glad I jumped in and took some of the heat off Paulie for a while...:hihi:

I would have responded earlier but I was busy in my tackle room putting fresh tar on my lines

But as far as 'getting with it' goes, I did go out and buy one of those cellulose phones last year and started a geezer grid

On the other hand, I seriously doubt I'm ever gonna put myself on that My Face website - and I'm not doing the Tweety bird thing either...:no2:

piemma
05-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Well, if nothing else, I'm glad I jumped in and took some of the heat off Paulie for a while...:hihi:

I would have responded earlier but I was busy in my tackle room putting fresh tar on my lines

But as far as 'getting with it' goes, I did go out and buy one of those cellulose phones last year and started a geezer grid

On the other hand, I seriously doubt I'm ever gonna put myself on that My Face website - and I'm not doing the Tweety bird thing either...:no2:

...and Chuck I do appreciate it. Now, I am going out to fire up the Model A and head for the Dory to row myself out to the Outer Banks and handline for scup!
Actually, there are Bunker arriving daily and I am gonna go give 'em something to worrry about.

jeffsod
05-04-2010, 06:39 AM
To the original question not only does force fins make a swim fin that fits over wader boots U.S.Divers makes one that is very good and easy to walk in. These are designed for float tube fishing and can be found on Amazon and a lot cheaper than the force fins at $70.

Frankiesurf
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I haven't put studs in the Force Fins yet but I know guys that have and they are thick and sturdy enough to handle them.