View Full Version : ASMFC May meeting

MikeToole
05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Was anyone from the site at the ASMFC meeting or hear the out come from the vote on increasing the commercial harvest?

From what I've heard indirectly (from a post by the Potomac rep) is the stripe bass board approved moving forward with the increase in commercial harvest, putting it out for public comment. The change would not be to increase the overall kill but to reduce recreational kill and move the this reduction to the commercials. The Potomac Rep supported this change with his vote but said he would rather see stripers be a game fish. That now it was time for the recs to get off their butts and oppose it during the public input period. I've heard from others that the board wants this out for public input hoping to put the issue to rest. I would say it is now going to be up to the recreational fisherman to make their voice heard if all of this is correct.

He also noted that the commercials and their lobbyist were well represented at the meeting. Another point he made was that there was a lot of talk at the board that there are to many stripers.

This info came from the tidalFish.com site.

Redsoxticket
05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I received the following e-mail

ASMFC has just voted 9-6 %$in favor of sending out to public hearings a group of options to raise the coastal commercial quota by as much as 50%
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BasicPatrick
05-06-2010, 10:16 AM
S-B is a cutting edge web site...I just finished typing up the following release to MSBA:

To all MSBA Members & Friends,

I just returned from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC)Spring Meeting in Alexandria VA. During the Striped Bass Management Board there was a lot of discussion by some commissioners that there are too many striped bass in the ocean. I am not kidding or over exaggerating . The commissioners discussed the question if spawning stock biomass (SSB) is too high. There is a scientific definition to the term carrying capacity which in layman speak suggests that a given amount of ocean can only support "x" amount of life or in this case fish, no matter what kind. There was also the not so new talk of too many striped bass eating all the forage. At least one commissioner suggested that too many striped bass might be the cause for troubles with the rebuilding of weakfish or squeteague.

This whole discussion took place because the ASMFC is considering an addendum or change to the striped bass management plan that would increase the commercial quota. The addendum was initiated by the state of New York at the last ASMFC meeting. To be fair, there is some science that states an increase in commercial quota will not effect the spawning stock biomass, however that is only half the scientific picture.

There was some very serious confusion by some commissioners who clearly did not understand the language in the the addendum and thought the increase was going to be taken from the recreational catch and transferred to the commercial quota. This is not true. There is no hard number or set amount of recreational catch, thus fish can not be transferred from a number that does not exist. The addendum will INCREASE the total number of striped bass harvested.

Back to the science. This increase in catch is especially concerning because the managers discussed the fact that they know in the coming year or two, the scientists will place a number on the increase of natural mortality due to mycobacteriosis. This new higher natural mortality means there is a need to reduce the harvest to compensate for that higher mortality. A second problem on the scientific horizon is that the commissioners also discussed and admit that fishing mortality is higher than the numbers currently being used due to unreported fishing in the EEZ. Scientists are struggling to come up with how much to increase fishing mortality numbers however commissioners know this higher number will also bring about a second need to reduce harvest. When these two matter of facts are considered, the proposal to increase the commercial quota truly seems to fly in the face of common sense.

In the end, the vote was 9-6 in favor of sending the addendum to public comment. I am proud to state that MA voted against. I did not write down the other states votes. The next step is that there will be hearings coming up this summer.

I think it is necessary to report that this proposal has gone through the process in the past and eventually failed. That being said, when the process opens to public comment, I hope all fishermen overwhelm the managers so this subject never comes up again.

Patrick Paquette
MSBA Gov't Affairs
RFA MA

MikeToole
05-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Patrick, thanks for the up date and your continuing work on this.

JohnnyD
05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the report Patrick.

During the talks about granting SB gamefish status, I was lambasted for stating that ASMFC is an impotent group that ignores science and common sense. This meeting seems to more than re-enforce my opinion. How did life in the oceans possibly exist without humans managing its "carrying capacity"?

The commissioners of the principle regulating body for this region thought it was possible to take from the recreational quota (which doesn't exist) and transfer those numbers to the commercial quota? Who are these people? If they are "confused" by the very basic foundation of how the striped bass is managed, how can they possibly make informed decisions on more complex issues. No wonder these idiots think there are issues with bait due to the striped bass, as opposed to Omega and others completely wiping out entire schools of bait up and down the coast - or the pollution and dissolved-mineral plagued rivers and estuaries that these fish spawn in. :wall:

Some people hated that StripersForever bill and defended ASMFC, but it's these actions by ASMFC that demonstrate it as an ineffective governing body and give groups like SF ammo, along with setting the stage for another stock collapse.

BasicPatrick
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
I was one of those that defended ASMFC in the SF debate and would do teh sem today. At the same time, they ore very much off the hook on this issue. Unfortunately, the roble as I see it is too many of the commisioners have been there for far tooooooooo long. I think the process is becoming more iportant than the effect of the process and this waste of good resources and staff time is the latest victim.

That's ok...when they bring they're bs heairngs into the public eye we are going to crush this idea with a reaction they will not soon forget.

Frankiesurf
05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
You are absolutely right about the board members being on for far too long. It pains me to say that Pat Augustine, who came up with this nonsense is from NY. We need this guy out in the worst way.

Let's hope you are right about crushing this in a big way. I have been to a couple of ASMFC meetings here on L.I. and also MRAC (Marine Resource Advisory Council) meetings. The sad part is that the comms outnumber the rec fishermen at every one of them.

Public comment periods are the key here. There should be meetings for this in every state affected. We need numbers to show up and state a reasonable argument, based on facts, to the board to overturn this.

Everyone here as well as any recreational fisherman who actually cares about Striped Bass should attend their local meeting when it happens.