View Full Version : orkin mosquito service

niko
05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
anyone use these guys. satisfied w/ the service? my place has a good sized pond in the backyard and is infested at all times of the day.

UserRemoved1
05-08-2010, 10:00 AM
After seeing what the local pest exterminators did last year for $350 I said screw that I'll never do that again. You can do the same thing yourself. Go to Lowes and buy some bt, throw it in any standing water, eliminate any small breeding areas of water like pots, wheelbarrows etc then get a fogger and fog all the trees early in the morning when there is no wind. You can watch the bastids fall out of the sky.

Did the mosquito magnet thing for 2 years, it does work too but it's expensive to run. No matter what you do you still got your neighbors yard and they'll come right back.

buckman
05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I buy Melathyon and put it in a tree sprayer. Works good and I still have most of my hair.

fishbones
05-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Try calling your county and ask them to come and spray at your house. We do this every two weeks and the neighbors on each side call at the same time, so they spray a large area. I'm not sure what county Marshfield is, but Bristol county is really good about it.

We also use a Mosquito Magnet and I fog in the morning if we're going to be out in the yard during the day. The fogger works great, as Salty mentioned. I also have bat houses and plenty of bats around to feed on the little blood suckers.

niko
05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
i've got a moquito magnet, i call ply. co. mosq. control all the time, and i'm still infested. the pond is and acre or so, so tabs are not an option. buckman - i'm gonna check out that chemical. orkin charges 150 a month and will come out as often as you want. between the magnet and other sprays i'm allready prending a fortune and my wife/kids don't want to be outside because of the bugs

Slingah
05-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if that Mosquito Magnet is doing more harm than good.....because of the pond....it's calling them closer and it can't keep up with the amount of them

PRBuzz
05-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike the lake with goldfish.....

jredfly
05-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you probably tried most approaches but I did see some threads on bat houses?

niko
05-08-2010, 05:54 PM
got tons of bats. very cool to watch

jredfly
05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
According to the crew, don't the bats help alleviate the mosquitos?

Raven
05-09-2010, 05:08 AM
bats by night

you have to build a communal bird house for them
and mount it up high on a pole to attract them

dunks - work well in ponds as does any garlic oil

baby ducks love to eat mosquito larvae
no ducks in the POND? if not why?

cutters skin sensations spray works well

but eating nutitional brewers yeast in ice cream shakes
not only is making my poison ivy disapear like magic
it makes mosquitos hover over you ...but
they won't land (or stay on you)
because you no longer taste (smell) good to them

striperman36
05-09-2010, 09:28 AM
brewers yeast in ice cream shakes?

Living the good live there sir

Raven
05-09-2010, 10:14 AM
brewers yeast in ice cream shakes?

Best delivery system devised except for mixing it into yogurt

I've been at war with "poison IVY here" (cutting and spraying)
"living the good Life"
(Helen and Scott Nearings book title):)

so since i have it (poison Ivy) and the mosquitos are very abundant
it's a refreshing way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

striperman36
05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Best delivery system devised except for mixing it into yogurt

I've been at war with "poison IVY here" (cutting and spraying)
"living the good Life"
(Helen and Scott Nearings book title):)

so since i have it (poison Ivy) and the mosquitos are very abundant
it's a refreshing way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

gonna try the yogurt thing tomorrow since we are all blimpish from taking Ma to Legal's