05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Everyone run down to the canal asap !

O.D. Mike
05-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Any starfish?

JohnnyD
05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Everyone run down to the canal asap !

Looks like it'll be a 7 mile long zoo a few weeks early this year.

Swimmer
05-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I think we should send at least the 108 people who read this thread prior to me reading it to your pole. :uhuh:

You know if I thought this post would have started trouble I would have worded the post much differently. Silly people, silly critiques of other peoples post.

GattaFish
05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
The a.m. high was very productive this morning down the old ditch. Quite a few 20's.:fishin:

WHAT NOT TO DO...................:uhuh::uhuh:

FISHING_FOOL
05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
See you all there in the morning??

Sea Flat
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Easy does it guys. The canal is a big place, plenty of room for everyone. A report of fish at the canal is not exactly surprising at this point is it? We have all heard the other reports that they were close. We knew it was coming a little early this year.

EarnedStripes44
05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Sounds like they will be in Hahbah in no time.

Saltheart
05-12-2010, 12:44 AM
I think its ok to say the canal was good this morning , or the upper bay was good , etc. Its always tough where to draw the line as far as spot burning but I thing its natural to say you had a good day somewhere in general.

Everyone covets their spots. The question is , how big is your spot? Is it ok to say the fish are biting along the Atlantic coast? How about they are biting in MA or RI somewhere? North Shore? South County? Narragansett Bay? The Canal? At what specific level of info are you spot burning?

Its a tough question and it comes up several times each year. Soon , the harshest words here will be aimed at "spot burners". A ritual of each season. :)

bart
05-12-2010, 05:00 AM
The a.m. high was very productive this morning down the old ditch. Quite a few 20's.:fishin:

could you please provide pole numbers and access points as well :smash: :rollem:

JohnR
05-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Back up from the ledge folks, please :tooth: and lets not get specific or detailed. Fish in the Canal is sufficient ;)

This happens every year :rotf2:

Van
05-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Just like what happened on the NW corner ! :biglaugh:

Back Beach
05-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Soon , the harshest words here will be aimed at "spot burners".

The sign of a 100% rank amteur is the guy who flames someone for posting a fishing report.

Anyone who thinks the word won't get out hasn't been at the game long enough to know better, internet or no internet.

The fish are here and have been for over a week, go get em guys.

RIROCKHOUND
05-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Even I heard...
you put a whooping on someone, huh? :buds:

piemma
05-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I was there this morning. There was no one and I mean no one for a mile in either direction of where I was.

THERE ARE NO FISH AT THE CANAL. THESE ARE ALL INTERNET LIES.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR GAS!!! (wink, wink)

Pt.JudeJoe
05-12-2010, 09:39 AM
What pole # ? :hidin:

eastendlu
05-12-2010, 10:05 AM
The sign of a 100% rank amteur is the guy who flames someone for posting a fishing report.

Anyone who thinks the word won't get out hasn't been at the game long enough to know better, internet or no internet.

I heard it from a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that has a friend that his sister dates that mentioned fish in the canal about a week ago and i live a ways from the canal.:jump1::jump1::jump1:

FishermanTim
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
My neighbor's cousin's ex-milkman's great-grandma's sister's third cousin's (twice removed) paperboys' uncle mentioned a hot pole, but I think he was talking about "Centerfolds" and not a canal.:rotf2:

Van
05-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Where is this "CANAL" of which you all speak ?????

jettyjockey18
05-12-2010, 12:01 PM

great to hear, and thanks for the heads up...it seems canal fishing reports this time of year have a mandatory quota of 20 "can you provide pole numbers/its going to be a zoo/everyone run down there now" posts...

The Dad Fisherman
05-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Birth??? :huh:

Mike P
05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I was there this morning. There was no one and I mean no one for a mile in either direction of where I was.

Go at night and you might be the only guy on one whole side of the canal ;)

On Monday night I walked almost a mile and a half before running into someone. :grins:

And I'm not talking about the o'dark thirty hours--go out at dusk, home in a warm bed by midnight.

kenyee
05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
yep..people were catching 50 lbers this morning...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3503/3962099665_c738a8a960_t.jpg

Back Beach
05-12-2010, 05:17 PM
And I'm not talking about the o'dark thirty hours--go out at dusk, home in a warm bed by midnight.

That statement applies to practically every surf fishing location on the map....I truly believe these big tough men lugging knives, van staals, korkers, and other assorted sharp metal objects are simply afraid of the dark...

I fish the canal by day simply because I like tight butts in spadex sporting roller blades...

numbskull
05-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I fish the canal by day simply because I like tight butts in spadex sporting roller blades...

I think she heard you!

bart
05-12-2010, 06:03 PM
the blonde riding the bike the last two days....:heybaby:

jimmy z
05-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I've been doing this long enough to know, when and where fish will be at any point during the season. All the fella's I fish with have the same instinct.
Even a first timer, once he gets a year under his belt , will know somewhat, when fish will be at a certain location.
Everybody and their brothers sister know about the Canal, it's those other spots that are precious.:)

doc
05-12-2010, 06:20 PM
glad to hear a fishing report...if saying the canal is spot burning, then what doesnt qualify as spot burning...ridiculous...

The Dad Fisherman
05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I think she heard you!

I think he knows it........and I think she ate him

thunder
05-12-2010, 06:52 PM

i dont think your kidding i just got back from western carribean went down tuesday to get my over priced shellfish permit only four trucks at the ramp i use(RR tracks)

Frankiesurf
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
It is funny you mention that everyone will be there this weekend.

I will actually be up there this weekend at some point.

Mention a spot and you even got guys from NY coming up for it. :jump1:

GattaFish
05-12-2010, 08:04 PM
It is funny you mention that everyone will be there this weekend.

I will actually be up there this weekend at some point.

Mention a spot and you even got guys from NY coming up for it. :jump1:

This is so true... Maybe I was a little hard on the guy..

But if this was a fall report the fact that he added in a weight,,, It could lead to a Madhouse...

5/0
05-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I've heard of fish in the Canal but I didn't know you could fish it.

Dad 818
05-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Panama, right?

MarshCappa
05-12-2010, 08:58 PM
glad to hear a fishing report...if saying the canal is spot burning, then what doesnt qualify as spot burning...ridiculous...

Saying the canal is hot isn't spot burning. THis comes up every year. Wait till the photos come out of catches at the canal. That usually will flame up something too!

Mike P
05-12-2010, 09:53 PM

The problem really isn't the Canal--there's 15 miles of spots.

The problem is that there aren't 15 miles worth of places to park.

Some places are close to residential neighborhoods, and the residents who pay Canal-front taxes don't like being awakened by slamming car doors, and guys y#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up and carrying on at 4 AM. They complain to their selectman neighbor. The selectman starts calling the police chief, and he tells his boys to go out and ticket cars. Or, if they're parked on Corps of Engineers property, the chief calls Bill Norman, the engineer in charge, and they start locking gates at dusk and not opening them until about 8 AM. I have it on very good authority that, due to fed-up homeowners nearby, a very popular spot is going to be gated after dark very soon.

Right now you can't access the Canal at the RRB in Buzzards Bay--the lot is closed for construction and access to the Canal is totally fenced off--which means that people will park on nearby residential streets and maybe cut through private property.

None of the popular Capeside parking areas along Sandwich Road can hold more than 5-10 cars, and I will bet a good amount of money that this coming weekend, 50 or more cars will be parked by Halfway Gate. Sooner or later some poor fisherman is going to get clipped and killed by a car zooming by at 60 mph, and many of those roadside turn-outs will have No Parking signs posted afterwards.

So no, you can't burn 15 miles of shoreline, but you can sure as hell shut down access. Here's some of what we lost just recently.

Bourne Bridge Capeside, gated after dark. Cars park outside the gate. There's room for maybe 6 cars there at best--so late arrivals park alongside the road, and sometimes encroach on it, causing traffic to slow down.

Aptuxet now has a chain across the road. You have to park outside by the windmill and there's room for maybe 6 cars.

The Canal Crossings property in Buzzards Bay, behind the post office--what used to be called Playland. Boulders placed across the access road. Have to walk in now over soft sand.

Old Bridge Road, posted No Parking from 10 PM to 7 AM.

Same at Savery Avenue by the stone church. The No Parking signs now extend a hundred or so yards up Savery Ave.

Pole 230 on the Cape side. There used to be pull-in parking for 7-8 cars. But they placed a line of boulders there because of the stench of drained livewells. Now 3 cars at most can park alongside the boulders.

Mr. Gallo, who owns the construction company under the Sagamore Bridge has, in the past, threatened to close his gates and only allow selected and trusted fishermen keys to access his land there.

Just bear this in mind--the only Corps lot that doesn't have a gate is at the herring run--all of them can be closed after dark, and almost all of them have abutting homeowners.

If you park by the radar towers and look to the left, you'll see a gate across an overgrown paved road. That gate wasn't there 15-20 years ago--that whole area was called "The Jungle". Many vehicles could park in that area, down that road. In fact, when they started running the campers out of the regular lots at night, back in the late 60s, that's where they all went, the old timers in their converted bread trucks.

I've fished the Canal since the 1960s. I've seen what happens when fishermen get to be pains in the ass. They get run out of public property after dark. And they miss those early morning spring tides because those lots don't open until 8 or 9 in the morning.

Whether the internet, the cell phone trees, the papers, the tackle shops, whether any or all of them are to blame--you can burn the Canal. Take my word for it.

But hey--what do I care--I live within walking distance of it. :grins:

Slingah
05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
holy breadcrumbs!...it's May and there are striped bass in New England!
if one was truly internet savy, he would know right where to look for a juicy report to chase.....messageboardspotburningflamewars are so 2004....:rotf2:

BigFish
05-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Don't chase yesterdays.....find your own tomorrow!!:uhuh:

ThrowingTimber
05-12-2010, 11:33 PM
I think she heard you!

ahhhhh my eyes!!!! they BURN!!!!! THEY BURN!!! catch some for the poor shmuck whos got to work his ass off for the next 3 weeks :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::w all::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wal l:

Back Beach
05-13-2010, 06:52 AM
the blonde riding the bike the last two days....:heybaby:

You'd be in a wheelchair after she was finished ...:uhuh:

kenyee
05-13-2010, 08:20 AM
But hey--what do I care--I live within walking distance of it. :grins:

Woohoo! Everyone can park on Mike's lawn! :uhuh:

Mike P
05-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Woohoo! Everyone can park on Mike's lawn! :uhuh:

I don't have a lawn--if you can find space between the bushes and trees, you're welcome to park there--or in the lot at the development's ballfield 100 yards up my street.

Walking distance is relative, too. "Walking distance"--for me--in a case of sheer necessity. It's still a good mile and a half to the ditch. :rotf2:

Swimmer
05-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Easy does it guys. The canal is a big place, plenty of room for everyone. A report of fish at the canal is not exactly surprising at this point is it? We have all heard the other reports that they were close. We knew it was coming a little early this year.

I don't mind this being posted as long as it is in the San Fransisco Gazzette.

Swimmer
05-13-2010, 05:41 PM
That statement applies to practically every surf fishing location on the map....I truly believe these big tough men lugging knives, van staals, korkers, and other assorted sharp metal objects are simply afraid of the dark...

:uhuh:

stripermaineiac
05-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Wow talk about possesive LOL. I only want to fish on one rock.
Access is an issue at times but it's more attitude than access. respect is bread by making someone feel welcome not puttin the porcupine quills out.
We went through this a few times up here. A few of us went to the home owners and abutters and worked it to get some eticuit signs put up. You know please respect the neighbore ,don't slam car doors,talk quietly,don't leave trash around,[especially fishing trash]and so on worked wonders for both groups.acess has improved and the places are cleaner. even the cops work with us to help set it up. Just an idea. Ron

CanalGuy
05-13-2010, 09:00 PM
I just meant the fishing was good. GFY

MarshCappa
05-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Wow talk about possesive LOL. I only want to fish on one rock.
Access is an issue at times but it's more attitude than access. respect is bread by making someone feel welcome not puttin the porcupine quills out.
We went through this a few times up here. A few of us went to the home owners and abutters and worked it to get some eticuit signs put up. You know please respect the neighbore ,don't slam car doors,talk quietly,don't leave trash around,[especially fishing trash]and so on worked wonders for both groups.acess has improved and the places are cleaner. even the cops work with us to help set it up. Just an idea. Ron

That would never work out in MA.....too many Mass Holes out there that don't give chit!

luds
05-13-2010, 09:12 PM
GFY

:gh:

BigFish
05-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Go

Fishin'

Y'all!:uhuh:

Tagger
05-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Mike .. I didn't see beloved Leper Land (behind PlayLand) on your list .. Boulders there too .. no more access..

UserRemoved1
05-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Wait til the pogies show up :rotf2:

jredfly
05-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Go

Fishin'

Y'all!:uhuh:

Wow! I never knew what GFY stood for. Thanks!

:jump1:

ProfessorM
05-14-2010, 09:24 AM
get a nite job, weekdays rule at that place, although over the years they are even more crowded.
This time of the year No fish in the canal would be more of a story than fish being there. Harmless spot burn in my book, although I would never post it.:angel:

Swimmer
05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Wait til the pogies show up :rotf2:

Pogies are here in small numbers. Saw some rather large mac's swim by yesterday.

BassDawg
05-15-2010, 02:36 PM
for my 1st time EVER!!

that place is HUGE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and was loaded wit surfcasters for miles once the sun came up.

packed parking lots and Old Codders just shaking their heads.
one guy, as i was leaving said, "in all my yrs here, i've NEVER seen
this many cars at that lot. this is CRAZY, where'd they all come from?"

swing and a miss on a gray dawn hit, first cast of the year,
kinda caught me off guard, DAMMIT! after that, sum wild tail slaps, four birds working sporadically,
sum herring pushing thru and being pushed up~~~~ noting tails and swirls, i'd say high teens low twenties.

the worst part is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i "think" i LIKE it there. will definitely give it another go before it turns awff. cain't wait to drown some snakes there sometime. Capeside,,,,,,,,,,,,,STRONGside!!! for food and this latenight ho that was giving me the once-over :bl: :bl: :bl: for me, no joy either side, but it definitely has its allure~~~~ which is why i never went there before, life is much simpler when ya just blow by the 495 exit off of 24 on the way to Li'l Rhody.

still debating whether or not to add it to my repetoire~~ TEMPTING, very tempting :wall: :wall: :wall:

piemma
05-15-2010, 03:26 PM
for my 1st time EVER!!

that place is HUGE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and was loaded wit surfcasters for miles once the sun came up.

packed parking lots and Old Codders just shaking their heads.
one guy, as i was leaving said, "in all my yrs here, i've NEVER seen
this many cars at that lot. this is CRAZY, where'd they all come from?"

swing and a miss on a gray dawn hit, first cast of the year,
kinda caught me off guard, DAMMIT! after that, sum wild tail slaps, four birds working sporadically,
sum herring pushing thru and being pushed up~~~~ noting tails and swirls, i'd say high teens low twenties.

the worst part is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i "think" i LIKE it there. will definitely give it another go before it turns awff. cain't wait to drown some snakes there sometime. Capeside,,,,,,,,,,,,,STRONGside!!! for food and this latenight ho that was giving me the once-over :bl: :bl: :bl: for me, no joy either side, but it definitely has its allure~~~~ which is why i never went there before, life is much simpler when ya just blow by the 495 exit off of 24 on the way to Li'l Rhody.

still debating whether or not to add it to my repetoire~~ TEMPTING, very tempting :wall: :wall: :wall:

I went from 1992 to 2003 and never fish in RI....and I LIVE here. That was when the Back was hot and you could find a sand bar all to yourself loaded with big fish. I fishing with another guy and we would fish Friday and Saturday nights, drive up for one tide. Drive home, spend quality time with the family and sleep maybe 3 hours and then do the 300 mile round trip again the next night.The Cape gets in your blood. Guys have lost their jobs, gotten divorced, left their families, all to fish the Cape.

The Canal can be very humbling. You can figure out the Back in a few weeks if you concentrate on the tides, wind, and the way the fish move. The Canal is a different story. It changes not on the tides so much but more on the water movement. The different structure and where the fish setup on a certain time, wind, tide, moon...etc, etc. I suspect I will never figure it out. I am batting about .250. Which translates to getting skunked 3 out of every 4 times I go.

BassDawg
05-17-2010, 08:34 AM
and THAT is the draw/challenge for me,,,,,,

1) there are sooooo many pieces to the Ditch Puzzle
2) it is absolutely beautiful there
3) it is one of the MOST UNIQUE places i will ever fish
4) there are the legendary tales of amazing "runs" in it's glorious past, and
5) it definitely grabs you and sticks in your craw~ from the first second you see, feel, touch, taste it!!

on the surface it seems simple enough, find the bait/the fish
and you are GOLDEN!!! in reality, i imagine it to be much, MUCH, more complicated than that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

hey piemma, at .250 you're doing waaaaay better than over half the SOX, and prolly most of the rest of us stiffs who'll gladly take the skunkings for ONE auspicious night at this most iconic Striperin' Nirvana. i am pretty shore, its toooo late for me~~~ for she had me at High<<<>>>Low :bl: :bl: :bl:

look for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'll be the one behind the old fogie's push-cart shaking my head and muttering under my breath things like, "i couldn't just stay on 24, NOOOOH!! i had to come to tha DITCH!!!" can't wait till i sea her again :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

Green Light
05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Cape Ann has a canal?

GattaFish
05-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Cape Ann has a canal?

There are canals everywhere,,, I think Montauk even had one a few nights ago,,,,:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

BassDawg
05-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Cape Ann has a canal?

funny stuff, 360~~~

still tooooo early for Cape Ann,
so i thought i'd sea what this Ditch is all about??

heading there this week for some intell with a local!!
looks like i'm flat fluked,,,,,,,,and i've yet to catch, there.
then again, how SICK would it be to be versed in BOTH Capes??
:heybaby: :heybaby: :drool: :drool: :drool: :heybaby: :heybaby:

spinncognito
05-18-2010, 07:24 AM
funny stuff, 360~~~

still tooooo early for Cape Ann,
so i thought i'd sea what this Ditch is all about??

heading there this week for some intell with a local!!
looks like i'm flat fluked,,,,,,,,and i've yet to catch, there.
then again, how SICK would it be to be versed in BOTH Capes??
:heybaby: :heybaby: :drool: :drool: :drool: :heybaby: :heybaby:

Hey Jess,
Not too early for Cape Ann as I was into fish in our very own Canal just yesterday. No, not the 40#ers being plucked from the big ditch but a nice mix of fat schoolies with some "legal" specimins in the mix.
Also found fish along the oceanfront in one of the many "rocky" spots up this way. And to top it off a school of impressive (to me) bass had the bait pushed right up to a certain beach just as nightfall approached. Spraying feed and acrobatic stripers made the scene fall-like.

That being said I am heading to the bigger (better?) canal Friday to see if I can figure out how to yank one of those ditch-cows out of that raging flow. Have had minimal success jigging up a few in past jaunts so I am hopeful to get in on the early-season action.

:uhuh: Spin

BassDawg
05-18-2010, 11:08 AM
i hear ya Paulie,

not sure if i can get a hall pass for the ditch,
for this w/e,,,,,but during the week may be better.

perhaps we can work out the schedules during the week?
i need to talk to my fellow ironworker tomorrow, who was raised there,,,,,,,,,,,am hopoing for a place to park that is close to the ACTION!!! when i know more, i'll shoot ya a pm~~awite??