View Full Version : When Stripers Feed Like Trout

Got Stripers
05-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Happens every spring, when stripers are slurping on top like trout, I see guys rifle through their tackle boxes out of sheer frustration. Yesterday was one of those days, acres of slurping trout off the end of Cutty and my friend Drew and I wore out our arms fishing 3/8oz Kalin Ulimate Jig heads and my 4” plastic. We actually started the day with 3/4oz and 6” half jerks, but once the sun got higher they really keyed in on “small”. That’s when you need to lighten up and get small, while your never (unless you’re a fly rodder) going to match the hatch of these small fry or later the krill; but going light-small dramatically ups your odds.

We fished close enough to a boat with 3 guys and I could hear them talking to themselves, what’s are they throwing, what color, how are they retrieving it; while Drew and I are doubling up almost every cast. What a blast and these were nice size fish, 4 larger ones in the 20 lb class, which are a ball on the lighter spinning rods I use to throw the small stuff.

I have to say yesterday was one of the best early spring days I’ve had in years, I love spring and slurping bass.

numbskull
05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Good to hear there are acres of bass off Cutty. Things have been pretty sparse around my way and Vineyard sound and lower BB needs a shot of decent fish.

Slipknot
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
sounds like a blast Bob
good to hear you got into them.:uhuh::fishin:

Got Stripers
05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Me too Bruce, I was on the fence on whether to go to Barnstable or out of Westport as usual, glad I opted for the same old same old.

rphud
05-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Sounds like last year. Guess I should be bringing the silly sticks to Cutty again. Lots of teasers too. Thanks for the heads up.