View Full Version : Green point lures

dannyplug1
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
What size of greenpoint swimmers have you guys had the best luck with from the surf. I have seen some great reports and will try some. At what they cost want to get the most usefull sizes and color. Can afford three. Thanks Charlie

numbskull
05-19-2010, 05:25 AM
My impression is that the demand for these plugs is more collector driven than fishermen driven, though perhaps that is starting to change.

They were on the market very quickly after the guy started to build, and before any realistic testing occurred (and riding somewhat distressingly on the coat-tails of an ailing Gary2). Sort of the opposite approach of the plug you used for your screen name. That said, supposedly they do catch fish, and maybe quite well at that (I don't know) but so do rapalas, bombers, and rebels. Also, as with anything pricey that people collect, many hype the product to convince themselves it is worth what they are spending on it.

Bottomline is that they are cool plugs and would be fun to fish, but unless you already have experience with them (or want them to collect) start with one and see what you can do with it.

Adam_777
05-19-2010, 06:29 AM
I have a few in different sizes.I can't say which size is better.They do have a nice wiggle when they swim.I threw one for a little bit just to see it swim and I'll be keeping one in my bag and testing it this season.I bought them on some advice of a local bass fisherman who has had success.The guy building them is easy to deal with and offers different options when choosing size/hooks/color.I can take a few pics of the ones I have with size comparison if it helps.

JFigliuolo
05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
I have no experience with the lure. But I friend of mine whose opinion on fishing related issues I HIGHLY regard, has a lot of praise for the plugs.

Adam_777
05-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Took a picture with a bunch of others mixed in.The top two are 3 oz.The middle 2 are 2 oz and the jointed is 1 oz I think.The eel ones are 2oz I believe.There's some other well known plugs mixed in for size comparison.Afterhours,Salty's,Bigfish,Tattoo,RM,Ga gs,Super Strike,Mr.Wiggly.Can't remember for the life of me who made the big pencil on the bottom right.I'm bored and have too many plugs.:rotf2: Hope this helps.:fishin:

Rappin Mikey
05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
The bottom is Salty Sheriff.

Adam_777
05-19-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm talking about the one to the right of the big salty.I think they stopped making them.Probably says the name right on it but I don't feeling like digging it back out.The name is eluding me and I just was looking to give credit to the builder.Probably would help if it was in the picture.:wall:

Edit: It's a plugcaster.I dug it out and checked.I liked those pencils.I have a slight addiction.Not as bad as others.

luds
05-19-2010, 10:16 AM
If I were you I would grab on or two that are the most diffenrent in size and weight from a bomber or some other lure that is available in plastic. Why buy a $20 6" swimmer when you can get that for $6 in a bomber. I would go for the 6" swimmer that's 1.5 oz. or 2 oz. because it gives you a little more variety in your bag.

You might also take a tip from the "experts" :rotf2: and put some 6x hooks on a bomber to get a similar effect. That will make them heavier and possibly adopt some the characterics you get from the heavier Green Points.

emgred
05-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I used Kev's 1 oz 6" & his 2 oz 7" plugs. They cast much better than the plastics of the same size. The swim with more roll than most plastics. They hold well in current. And They PRODUCE.

dannyplug1
05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the input fellow plug hoes. I am continually looking for the magic lure. Guess I will have to get some greenpoints to find out if they are magic or will they go on the wall in my shop like all the others. Guess the live eel is the only real magic lure. Charlie

JohnnyD
05-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the input fellow plug hoes. I am continually looking for the magic lure. Guess I will have to get some greenpoints to find out if they are magic or will they go on the wall in my shop like all the others. Guess the live eel is the only real magic lure. Charlie

The magic lure is rumored to have been buried deep within the sands of the Sahara Desert over a thousand years ago... not to be found again until Neptune awakes and floods all but the highest of land. Only then, shall the paths of the reincarnated "Chosen Angler" and the mythical "Magic Lure" be reunited once again.

The Dad Fisherman
05-20-2010, 05:13 AM

I've found out the secret is......It isn't the Lure it's the guy using it.....

UserRemoved1
05-20-2010, 05:17 AM
And ya ain't got to spend $30-50 on a lure either Kev :kewl:

chrisjoe13
06-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I've been throwing a multitude of plug styles (commercial and custom), colors, and weights for the past 6 weeks and caught my first 30+#er of the season last night. Got her on a 3oz yellow sharp-eye swimmer. The one with a single belly hook. I guess they do work! I love the blue fins when they're alive (she still is). The fish does not look like a 30 in the picture but bottomed the boga with ease.

chefchris401
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM

I was always told the "magic lure" is the white bucktail. or any bucktail for that matter.

Nice fish chrisjoe13.

Those green points are sweet, will finally get a couple this season. Finally a good selection is available.

maddmatt
06-11-2010, 09:06 AM
The bottom is Salty Sheriff.

now, if only u could remember something important!

how u dooin?