View Full Version : Eel Skins

piemma
05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Eel Skins have become impossible to buy. I was talking to the guys at Red Top this AM and they told me Maco has them. Well, I spoke to the guy at Maco and he sang me a song of sorrow about how everyone wants to buy eel skins but no one buys his other stuff so his now going to punish everyone and will no longer carry eel skins.

So here's the question. Short of me skinning my own eels, (which I have done in the past) does anyone know where I can buy a bunch of eel skins?

Raven
05-19-2010, 04:46 PM
in my mind

SO why do they work so well ?
1.texture
2.color
3.smell
4.Taste
(it describes a person's eating habits)

sure all four.... :uhuh:
these have been discussed at length
~ )>

or? N0. 5
Density -> but how would a Bass differentiate
between the density
of one object over another?

............................. INDEED :rolleyes:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/girl.png

Thumper
05-19-2010, 04:56 PM
saltwater edge might have them

rizzo
05-19-2010, 05:15 PM
surfland might too

luds
05-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I called Mako's recently and got a heavy no! I'm going to see what they have at the local chinese market to skin. I can seem to find big enough eels at an bait shops to get a skin to get over an atom jr. Nevermind a 40 or giant pikie.

flyvice11787
05-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Go to your local fish monger. Ask if they ever get eels for their customers. Tell them to save the skins and you'll pay for them. A little late now, but they probably sell a fair amount for Christmas ;).
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ivanputski
05-19-2010, 09:50 PM
what do skins usually sell for?

Nebe
05-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Eel Skins have become impossible to buy. I was talking to the guys at Red Top this AM and they told me Maco has them. Well, I spoke to the guy at Maco and he sang me a song of sorrow about how everyone wants to buy eel skins but no one buys his other stuff so his now going to punish everyone and will no longer carry eel skins.

So here's the question. Short of me skinning my own eels, (which I have done in the past) does anyone know where I can buy a bunch of eel skins?

Theres a quick way to go out of business... :morons:

Notaro
05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I called Mako's recently and got a heavy no! I'm going to see what they have at the local chinese market to skin. I can seem to find big enough eels at an bait shops to get a skin to get over an atom jr. Nevermind a 40 or giant pikie.

I wonder if a Viet supermarket sells them, too. Chinese markets have been declining a bit lately. Where do you get yours at a Chinese market?

gone fishin
05-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Not to start a verbal war, but---I would be sort of pissed if I was Mako and "customer - or many" come through the door with no intention to purchase any other gear and ask for skins telling Mako that Red Top told me to go here. He is struggling for survival just as a lot of bait shops are. I will bet he has some for his customers.:uhuh:

Saltheart
05-20-2010, 08:26 AM
I got them from Mako a long time ago but we decided just to skin our own leftover/dead ones. You buy them live anyway and after using them just save them and when you have enough to make it worth the mess of doing them you just pull the skins off say 10 or 20 at a time. That way you double the economy of them also.

I put a nail in a tree in my side yard and just skin them there. Outside is nice cause there's really nothing to clean up except your hands afterwards.

piemma
05-20-2010, 08:27 AM
looks like I'm back to skinning my own.

luds
05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I wonder if a Viet supermarket sells them, too. Chinese markets have been declining a bit lately. Where do you get yours at a Chinese market?

I have not purchased them yet but I'm assuming one of the markets in Quincy will have them. We shall see. Might check on the way home for work today.

fishbones
05-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Not to start a verbal war, but---I would be sort of pissed if I was Mako and "customer - or many" come through the door with no intention to purchase any other gear and ask for skins telling Mako that Red Top told me to go here. He is struggling for survival just as a lot of bait shops are. I will bet he has some for his customers.:uhuh:

I won't claim to know much about running a business, but if there was only one product that was selling in my store, I wouldn't stop selling it to "punish" my customers. I'm not familiar with Mako, but if it's the only thing that really sells, he should look into why other products don't sell and mayby change his merchandise mix.

The Dad Fisherman
05-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I can't seem to find big enough eels at an bait shops to get a skin to get over an atom jr. Nevermind a 40 or giant pikie.

Suds and Soda in Greenland NH....they carry some seriously beefy snakes.

chefchris401
05-20-2010, 10:12 AM
the Edge will have them with my help!!!!

last year i was able to get about 100 big eels, average was 24" and about 3 " around. some where way bigger:) like 3 feet and as thick as your forearm.

they are trying to get a feel for how many they need, they set up something on their site. or call, i know they are planning on carrying them this season.

piemma
05-20-2010, 11:18 AM
the Edge will have them with my help!!!!

last year i was able to get about 100 big eels, average was 24" and about 3 " around. some where way bigger:) like 3 feet and as thick as your forearm.

they are trying to get a feel for how many they need, they set up something on their site. or call, i know they are planning on carrying them this season.

CALLING RIGHT NOW!!!!

piemma
05-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Well Chef, I believe that they are waiting for you. The guy I spoke with said that he thought they would be getting some but didn't know when. Just so you know, I told the guy to let Peter G (who I know well) that I will take 25.

piemma
05-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I won't claim to know much about running a business, but if there was only one product that was selling in my store, I wouldn't stop selling it to "punish" my customers. I'm not familiar with Mako, but if it's the only thing that really sells, he should look into why other products don't sell and mayby change his merchandise mix.

he was actually pretty nice about it. When I told him I turned my own plugs he said well that's the problem, you will not buy any plugs from me. he's right but the fact is, I don't buy any plugs from anybody.

You are right he should specialize in eel skins. he would be the only game in town and I know at least 15 fishermen who would buy them.

luds
05-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm guessing the skins shelf life at the edge will be about the same as when bm jr's were available on their website a couple months ago. PIemma get's a qtr. of the inventory and I wonder how many of the remaining 75 will actually make it past the Edge staff. LOL. The asian seafood markets are sounding pretty good right now.

Notaro
05-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah, it does sound good now. I got eelskin plugs and haven't tried them on because every time I skin an eel, it always has a hole on the end and I kind of gave up giving it a try. I might as well as to buy one or more now.

bassballer
05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I wonder how many of the remaining 75 will actually make it past the Edge staff. LOL.

Haha . this is the key to the success of the eel skins.

luds
05-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Yeah, it does sound good now. I got eelskin plugs and haven't tried them on because every time I skin an eel, it always has a hole on the end and I kind of gave up giving it a try. I might as well as to buy one or more now.

I've heard that when guys are picking skins out at Maco's that they blow in them to see if air flows through which is nasty but that's besides the point. I think they were selecting them for skin jigs which I don't use. I guess my question is for a swimmer or needle does it really matter if water can flow throught the skin? I have caught fish on both but not many. Pretty sure the skins I had did have wholes in them.

DZ
05-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Judging by supply and demand I'm guessing skins will be going for $5 a shot. Nasty job - have to make it worthwhile.

DZ

piemma
05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Judging by supply and demand I'm guessing skins will be going for $5 a shot. Nasty job - have to make it worthwhile.

DZ

Dennis, you are right. Last time I bought some they were $3.75 each and that was at least 5 years ago. If you take care of them they last a long time. I still have 2 left out of the 2 dozen I bought.
On another subject, it didn't seem to matter if there was a hole in them. I only used them on plugs though.

Zeno
05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
we got over 200 at xmas by throwing guys at the local seafood place $20 to put them on the side

luds
05-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Dennis, you are right. Last time I bought some they were $3.75 each and that was at least 5 years ago. If you take care of them they last a long time. I still have 2 left out of the 2 dozen I bought.
On another subject, it didn't weem to matter if there was a hole in them. I only used them on plugs though.

Thanks and I agree with bot of you on the cost part.

chefchris401
05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
yeah they probably are waiting for me!

ive been working insane hours and fishing whenever i can.

were supposed to set something up and ahave an eel skinning party!

ill try and find out the details and let everyone know.

when they posted their link, they didnt get much response, but everytime you talk to someone they always want them.

I sold my personal staff at the end of last season for $8 a skin, but they were massive ones, for atom 40s and my big needles.

i cant say what they will charge but ill touch base with those guys and hopefully have a date for when they would be ready. '

and i dont think i hole in them makes a difference.

tattoobob
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Don't they all have holes in the back? I think it's called the anal vent :smash:

Saltheart
05-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm just amazed that people don't know what the hey about eel skins. signs of a dying art in fishing.

When you skin them , you have to pull the skin down to just before the anal vent and stop. You then snip the little intestine attached at the inside of the skin. then you pull the rest of the skin off. If you pull the whole skin off without snipping the anal vent thingy , the skins rip from there down to the tail end or to whatever point the anal intestine string breaks.

You don't want the big rip in skins to be used on skin jigs with the hole in them or the style with the raised cowell that the skin is tied to. The water is supposed to flow throw the hole and puff up the skin. Some people do put a very small hole in the skins for the skin jigs cause they say a little draining out the tail causes it to be less filled out and the more slack skin wiggles better and that the water flows through it better. I think no hole or small hole is ok but a long rip do to not snipping the anal intestine when pulling the skin off is too much of a vent and the skin won't puff up on the skin jig.

Skin plugs usually need the much bigger diameter skins and they do not have water flowing through them and puffing up the skin. Therefore a tear or hole in the skin makes no difference when you use them on skin plugs.

When used on skin jigs , the intent is often to make them look like a bate fish with a side profile , that's why you want them to puff up. Skin jigs work well when the bass are feeding on herring because if you know how to tie them on right they look like a herring. The way to tie them on is to have the whole thing only about 5 to 7 inches long , like the baitfish. very few people know this and do it correctly. They all want it as long as possible. You want it very long on a skin plug cause its supposed to slither along like an eel or snake , etc. thats why the skin plugs usually have a metal lip like a danny swimmer , they need to wiggle. you want to retrieve them slow so its slow slithering wiggle , not fast like when the metal lip plug is swimming without the skin.On the jigs its can can be used like that but this time of year when the herring are around you want to rig skin jigs short and you want them puffed up with water.

Saltheart
05-20-2010, 05:40 PM
people pay $8 for a skin! You got to be kidding. That is amazing. I would never pay more than the cost of the hwole eel for just the skin. I guess todays fisherman don't liek to get their hands dirty or get grossed out skinning them themsleves. $8 each!!!! Unbelieveable!

Thumper
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
people pay $8 for a skin! You got to be kidding. That is amazing. I would never pay more than the cost of the hwole eel for just the skin. I guess todays fisherman don't liek to get their hands dirty or get grossed out skinning them themsleves. $8 each!!!! Unbelieveable!

i agree that is a crazy price for an eel skin considering some shops practically give away dead eels. it takes all of 3min to tack on the the tree, cut, pull the skin off, cut behind the anal vent and toss in the brine. the problem is finding the bigger eels for the bigger plugs.

chefchris401
05-20-2010, 07:44 PM

yeah last year in montauk i had about 10 skins left and a few guys found out while we where out there, they offered to pay $8 each for them, im not dumb so i agreed. paid for my gas on the way home. these were all big skins that I used for the lordship 40s.

The BIG eels usually cost me at wholesale about $3 to 4 each, thats direct from a seafood supplier we use at work.

i would think that $5 each is fair, but i just buy the whole eel and do them myself.

if you guys want i get the whole eels for you if you want to it your self. PM me and I can get them to you asap. Im not sure of the edges eta.

piemma
05-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Well, I start a new job on Monday so I will not have a lot of time for awhile. I think I will wait for the Edge.

Nebe
05-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Well, I start a new job on Monday so I will not have a lot of time for awhile. I think I will wait for the Edge.

WTF Paul. Your retired remember?

Green Light
05-21-2010, 08:47 AM
I've heard that when guys are picking skins out at Maco's that they blow in them to see if air flows through....

Wow. That's hardcore.

JFigliuolo
05-21-2010, 08:54 AM

Yeah WTF??? Only thing that would bring me out of retirement is being a pron star, or a fishing guide. And no one in their right mind would pay me to do either!

DZ
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
I've heard that when guys are picking skins out at Maco's that they blow in them to see if air flows through.

They were just being responsible - avoiding unwanted pregnancies.

DZ

piemma
05-21-2010, 10:48 AM

If I stayed retired I would have gotten divorced. My wife just doesn't like me around all that much and for the last 6 months and 1 week it has been 7X24.
I am going back to selling banking software and on the road again. First trip is Tuesday off to San Fran and LA.

RIJIMMY
05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
If I stayed retired I would have gotten divorced. My wife just doesn't like me around all that much and for the last 6 months and 1 week it has been 7X24.
I am going back to selling banking software and on the road again. First trip is Tuesday off to San Fran and LA.

you should take up something called "fishing", it might get you out of the house a little.......:love:

piemma
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Then the other problem is like eating lobster and steak everyday. If you do, eventually you get sick of lobster and steak. I just wasn't ready to do nothing but fish and golf. I still have the need for the "rush" from selling and closing big deals. I still need to be on a plane every week, so off I go.

It's not like I have to work. I now know that, financially, we can make it without an income from me. Everything is paid for so it has been just the normal monthly bills, electric, tele, insurance and taxes. So if I get fed up with the job, I'll quit. It is actually a great position to be in.:uhuh:

Notaro
05-21-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm just amazed that people don't know what the hey about eel skins. signs of a dying art in fishing.

When you skin them , you have to pull the skin down to just before the anal vent and stop. You then snip the little intestine attached at the inside of the skin. then you pull the rest of the skin off. If you pull the whole skin off without snipping the anal vent thingy , the skins rip from there down to the tail end or to whatever point the anal intestine string breaks.

You don't want the big rip in skins to be used on skin jigs with the hole in them or the style with the raised cowell that the skin is tied to. The water is supposed to flow throw the hole and puff up the skin. Some people do put a very small hole in the skins for the skin jigs cause they say a little draining out the tail causes it to be less filled out and the more slack skin wiggles better and that the water flows through it better. I think no hole or small hole is ok but a long rip do to not snipping the anal intestine when pulling the skin off is too much of a vent and the skin won't puff up on the skin jig.

Skin plugs usually need the much bigger diameter skins and they do not have water flowing through them and puffing up the skin. Therefore a tear or hole in the skin makes no difference when you use them on skin plugs.

When used on skin jigs , the intent is often to make them look like a bate fish with a side profile , that's why you want them to puff up. Skin jigs work well when the bass are feeding on herring because if you know how to tie them on right they look like a herring. The way to tie them on is to have the whole thing only about 5 to 7 inches long , like the baitfish. very few people know this and do it correctly. They all want it as long as possible. You want it very long on a skin plug cause its supposed to slither along like an eel or snake , etc. thats why the skin plugs usually have a metal lip like a danny swimmer , they need to wiggle. you want to retrieve them slow so its slow slithering wiggle , not fast like when the metal lip plug is swimming without the skin.On the jigs its can can be used like that but this time of year when the herring are around you want to rig skin jigs short and you want them puffed up with water.

So you are saying that I should used a skin that has a tear on the rear end and jigged it?

Saltheart
05-22-2010, 11:20 AM
No Joe!!

For jigging , no hole or just a tiny hole.

If it has a tear in it its OK for Skin Plugs , not skin jigs.

Saltheart
05-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Joe, Did you see the part about the skin jigs have a hole in them so water flows through the jig and into the skin that is tied on it around the hole? That's important.

Notaro
05-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Joe, Did you see the part about the skin jigs have a hole in them so water flows through the jig and into the skin that is tied on it around the hole? That's important.

Yes, I have, but every time I skin a eel, it's always torn on the rear end and becomes useless. That's why I don't bother doing it anymore.

Big Dave
05-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, I have, but every time I skin a eel, it's always torn on the rear end and becomes useless. That's why I don't bother doing it anymore.

Having a hole in the tail section of the skin is the main reason why skins work. It allows water to flow through them, thereby giving them the action they have. It should not be the reason you stop doing it.

Notaro
05-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Having a hole in the tail section of the skin is the main reason why skins work. It allows water to flow through them, thereby giving them the action they have. It should not be the reason you stop doing it.

alright, i will give it a shot.

Saltheart
05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Joe , the reason they rip down the tail is because you are not stopping to snip the intestine (looks like a string) at the anal vent. You may want a small hole but you don't want a slit 6 inches long from the anal vent to the tail.

Notaro
05-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Joe , the reason they rip down the tail is because you are not stopping to snip the intestine (looks like a string) at the anal vent. You may want a small hole but you don't want a slit 6 inches long from the anal vent to the tail.

Okay gotcha. Thanks, Mike :)

Mike P
05-23-2010, 11:11 AM

Could be because Maco's has nothing else worth buying--talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face :no2:

Paul, I've heard that if you go to seafood markets in Italian neighborhoods around Christmas time, you can find skins, and they may even give them to ya.

'Course, that doesn't help you now. ;)

But, you know what? I rarely see anyone throwing skins nowadays. Today's plastics are equally effective MOST of the time, and much easier to rig and keep. Even my regular fishing partner, who was as big a skinner as they came not too long ago, has switched over entirely to his own hand poured plastics.

piemma
05-23-2010, 11:31 AM
You know what Mike? You are probably right. I have been waxing nostalgic for the old days. Can't see putting a plastic eel on a plug.

I know you didn't mean that but I just like the way a "skin plug" moves.

Saltheart
05-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I think there are times when the smell of the skins may get you a bite when other lures or plastic won't. The question is how often and is it worth it if its only rare when a plastic tail won't do the trick. I think when the bass are really keyed into a vertain bait , like herring , you may get them to hit a skin jig if its set up right. Skins are a big pain. Some people use Condoms. :)

I think rigged eels are worth the effort. They catch well , they are tough to all things except blue fish , and again you get them free when your live one dies.

Mike P
05-23-2010, 07:54 PM
You know what Mike? You are probably right. I have been waxing nostalgic for the old days. Can't see putting a plastic eel on a plug.

I know you didn't mean that but I just like the way a "skin plug" moves.

Plug sized skins are even harder to come by, which is where the seafood joints in old Italian neighborhoods come into their own. There have to be one or two left on the Hill, you'd think?

I'm actually shocked that no one has a synthetic skin on the market. The guy who made the old Dri-Core surf tops had some for while.

Saltheart
05-26-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm actually shocked that no one has a synthetic skin on the market. The guy who made the old Dri-Core surf tops had some for while.

Well...there is one famous manufacturer that comes to mind....Trojan :) People do use them on skin jigs

JohnnyD
05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Well...there is one famous manufacturer that comes to mind....Trojan :) People do use them on skin jigs

$.10/piece from the health center at my girlfriend's college.

Do you think the bass would like strawberry or banana flavored more?

Pete F.
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Might be better off with Natural lamb

Vogt
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
It sounds like you guys need to make friends with some commercial eelers. Like I did...

luds
06-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Struck out at all the local chinese seafood markets. :smash: