View Full Version : Tips on catching fish at low tide

FINnie
05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any pointers (not spots) on how to catch fish at low tide. Like what to look for as far as structure, depth etc. I believe the time i will get out this weekend will be pretty low. Do you guys prefer bait when the water is low, or is this a time to use plugs. should i give up from shore and move to a jedy or bridge. Any info would be great! Just looking to get out on my birthday this weekend. also i have a picture from last weekend when i took my friend out who hadnt fished in 15 years. he got a 24" fish, totally pumped! Ill post it tonight. thanks again for any info:wave:

fishsmith
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Finne,

The best time to fish is when you have time to fish. Look for the deepest water you can find. I'm a bait guy and suggest a high/lo rig and bait it with clams or mack or both.

I hear UMASS has been producing, and the flounder fishing is just gettin better. Stop by the Sportsmen Den or Fore River tackle in quincy, they'll point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Thumper
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
i like low water in some spots. it allows me to get out there and work different structure that is not accessible at high tide. the water colum also becomes smaller allowing less room for bait to hide. deep water or holes are a good places to start but don't forget, some monster fish have been taken in knee high water. use the wind, tide and curent to help you try and find where the fish are set up. stick and move, don't spend all night in the same spot i usally alow myself 20mins max and then move on to the next peice of structure.

Higgie
05-21-2010, 01:18 PM
One of my most productive spots at low tide is in quincy, look for fast moving water.

Nebe
05-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Outflows. Fish outflows
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
05-21-2010, 03:02 PM
When I surf fish I love low tide. RI Rockhound and I had a bunch of great mid to low tide spots when we ran hard a few years ago.

I HATE low tide in the boat. I like to fish in tight and I swear I have hit half the rocks in the Bay once. Hit a new one at 0.dark 30 this morning.

cableguy
05-22-2010, 05:11 AM
I love low tide......you can wade out pretty far at a few of my spots and hit the channels...low at 1st light usually produces for me.

Back Beach
05-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Anywhere there's a channel would be a good general place to begin. As the water level recedes, everything becomes more concentrated and thus, the strike zone becomes more apparent.

Green Light
05-22-2010, 09:25 PM
The key is to fish hot spots that produces at the stage of the tide that you are able to catch. For example, if you are able to fish the low tide, then fish hot spots that turn on at al low tide. With time on the water, you will learn what hot spots turn on for a given stage of the tide. Keeping a fishing journal will help.

Low tide is a great time to do some recon. Looks for things that are different. For example, if you are on a sandy beach looking out into the horizon and all you see is sand, sand, and more sand...and then bang! there's there massive rock that is only exposed at low tide. That's something to note.

jimmy z
05-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Jetties are always good. I fish areas that are rocky and normally covered at high tide. But getting out to the end of those rocks, at low tide is good. Because no there are deep holes within casting distance.:)