View Full Version : magic swimmer ?

fishysob
05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
crushed fish last night on sebile magic swimmer but they crushed the hooks constantly on it. Replaced with 4x vmc today. Will this affect the plugs action at all? Any info appreciated

capecodkid
05-23-2010, 01:09 PM
No it won't you'll be good.

Mike P
05-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Does it really matter? If you can't land a good fish on a plug because it has weak-assed hooks, it's pretty much useless no matter how well it swims.

Change out the hooks. The fish likely won't be able to tell the difference, and I can almso guarantee that you won't ;)

fishysob
05-23-2010, 10:58 PM
just got back from fishing and I slammed em again on magic swimmer. I replaced with 2/0 4x vmc and ended up with one bent hook and one lost hook and split ring. I think I just have to accept the dammage for the results. High maintenance plug!

luds
05-24-2010, 06:26 AM
You might be able to go up to 3/o on the belly but I don't think you would want to do that on the tail. I keep forgetting to put that thing in my bag. They need to make a black and purple!

texican
05-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I've changed the hooks right after I bought it . (2) 4/0 belly hooks and nothing on the tail. Swims great and fish love that thing.

Blitzseeker
05-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Similar situation on the Saltiga plugs....they catch fish better than any swimmer I've used, but the hooks are worthless from the store.

Pretty frustrating when you pay that much for a plug with blatantly defective hardware, but the results are so good that it is worth it.

WESTPORTMAFIA
05-24-2010, 11:51 AM
I picked one up and was told to lose the back hook completely which I did to avoid fouling on the cast. I replaced the other 2 with 3/0 vmc's. I only have one small fish on it so far. How are you fishing it??????

fishysob
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
the one I have is a 5 or six inch and only has 2 sets of trebles. I fish it basically by casting it straight out and begining an immediate slow steady retrieve as it is swept down current.

eskimo
05-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Hard not to carry one when you think fish are present and being selective (similar to last night). Pretty discouraging that this fish came as soon as I put this plug back on. I fish the slow sinking in the largest size. I let it drop and retrieve it just as slow as a needle.

I also vote 4/0 4x VMC and drop the rear hook. Much more dramatic.