View Full Version : redwood for lures?

MAC
03-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Has anybody ever heard of lures being made of redwood? I came across some at a local millshop in 2"x2"x8' stock. The owner gave me a stick to try out and told me if I like it I can have the other 200 linear ft at a cheap price. (He is in the process of selling his building and retiring) The grain is very tight and seems like it could be good. Anybody got any thoughts?

Christian
03-05-2003, 02:58 PM
no idea. give it a spin and tell us how it comes out.

Slipknot
03-05-2003, 06:11 PM
It's a very light wood, almost too light. The straight hard part of the grain can cause a wavy,ridgy surface after sanding since the softer parts between the hard grain will sand away first leaving the ridges. So maybe light sanding can reduce that, go slow.
You should definately use an oil exterior primer on redwood.
It is a very soft wood so it will dent very easily.
It may split easily too.

MAC
03-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Thought it sounded too good to be right. It sure is pretty wood though. I will probably turn some anyways, Good practice . I've been turning maple and poplar and a little yellow pine.

woodchucker
03-05-2003, 08:26 PM
ay Newell-

I don't have experience turning this stuff, being latheless :D and just starting out meself, but........

make sure you wear a good respirator if you're going to play around with redwood.

my experience from my carpentering days would suggest that the sawdust from redwood is really tough on the respiratory system- same is true for mahoghany.

Christian
03-05-2003, 09:07 PM
i got a pretty bad cough a few weeks ago from mahog and just turning tuns of stuff. my dad says you can actually become allergic to the stuff, its called mahogany cough.

woodchucker
03-05-2003, 09:38 PM
can't be too careful with those lungs, especially if you're still a pup :D

I used to work with a guy who developed asthma from breathing sawdust everyday- he had a tough time with it- he was pretty young, had only been working as a carpenter for maybe five or six years.

like I said, some types of sawdust seem to be worse than others, but probably the best bet is to always be careful when you're sanding or doing something that creates really fine sawdust.

capesams
03-05-2003, 09:53 PM
this is a big help,,,,get yourself a sears vac, the lrg. shop type..$99.00...keep the hose next to the wood when turning,, very little if nothing at all [dust] gets away. keeps everything clean, no need for any type of mask.

PNG
03-05-2003, 09:56 PM
http://www.northsafety.com/airpurif.htm

Mask 7700
I know a little about the filters but dont have the info handy if anyone's intereted Ill dig it up
Chris
Breathe easy

MAC
03-05-2003, 10:35 PM
I have a couple of shop vacs, I'll have to try that thanks for the idea capesams. I also wear a 3M respirator when sanding or turning. Will post some pics of redwood after it is turned. I am going to try the wood hardner on it and see what happens.

capesams
03-05-2003, 10:41 PM
I found rwood very nice to work with, an did the hardner as well, just haven't had the time to finish the d** thing. one thing , it needs lots o soakin in the hardner , theres a ton of air in rwood.

bassmaster
03-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by capesams
, theres a ton of air in rwood.
I was going to start But Me No need:smash: By U:D :cheers: :behead: :bshake: :chatter

RI Popper
03-08-2003, 03:55 PM
I use a wood from Brazil that is almost red in color but it's grain and hardness is very similar to Ashe. Great stuff. I've also used poplar. but it is very light weight is an issue with that stuff.

MAC
03-08-2003, 05:30 PM
RI popper, would that be Brazilian cherry? I found some of that at a local lumber yard for $3.25 bf. The only problem is that he only has it in 7/8" stock. It is a really beautiful wood, looks like it would turn good but drilling it might be a different story.

MAC
03-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Oh yeah, I ment to post this above, I turned some redwood today. You guys were right , way too light and soft. It turned nice and easy though:D

RI Popper
03-08-2003, 06:04 PM
That Brazilian wood drills great. it's a nice hard wood and I have bits made for me by W.L. Fuller Company in Warwick. I get 12' bits with 9' fluting. the tip is not a conventional one. The regular bits ride out with the grain and make me lose a lot of stock. The bits i get are Brad point, with the outer tabs removed. The red wood may work fine for you so long as you don't need to cast a long way. Most stripers are caught within 50 or so feet from shore anyway.