Was the line wrapped around the tip??:confused:

BassDawg
05-27-2010, 04:09 PM
NOPE!!

i have had it since last summer,
and i was working the snott out of it
trying to learn how to jigg the Ditch.

it's prolly more a function of bangin' against the truck,
NShore rocks and spills, and me launching excessive lead lately!!
:bl: :bl: :bl:

mikecc
05-27-2010, 07:34 PM
what rod is it?? The picture says Tsunami.
It looks like a Tica Dolphin and if it is a 10' dolphin rod I have thrown 5oz with it no problem.

JLH
05-27-2010, 08:18 PM
That sucks! Hope you had a spare rod.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BassDawg
05-27-2010, 09:01 PM
thanks JLH,,,,,,,,,
my sentiments, EXACTLY!!

and, no, not at the time~~~ the only rod i had with me
was my fibreglass eeling and chunking stick. it's not nearly
stiff enuff, nor is it rated for the weight i was throwing, :fury: :fury:

i had to leave, having just begun to seek life beneath the current.

Frankiesurf
05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
It does look like a Tica Dolphin. I had on snap on me right above the reel seat on me. Mine snapped on the third cast of the day. Didn't have a spare and had to sit and watch my buddies fish. I am glad they got the big skunk that day.

numbskull
05-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Please don't take this wrong, it may help you and others avoid a repeat mishap. I'm also not pretending to be an expert caster (actually I suck at it), but while trying to get better I'm gradually beginning to understand what goes on and I'm pretty sure that rod broke because of a casting mistake.

That type of break is a classic "high stick" break. What that means is the angle of pull on the tip got too close to the blank. Often this occurs when landing a fish and you extend the rod upright with insufficient slack line and a fish at your feet. It can also occur casting, however, particularly throwing hard with heavy plugs if at the onset of your power stroke the plug has swung inside too close to the blank so the rod unrolls rather than flexes and unloads.

So, what causes the plug to end up too close to the blank during your power stroke? Turns out it is a bad backcast. Contrary to what you'd expect, starting late when the plug has swung inside some isn't usually the problem (tournament pendulum casts being an important exception), since the initial phase of your forward turn and stroke is slow and restarts the plug on the right trajectory. Rather it is starting forward too soon before the plug has settled 90 degrees under the tip. If the plug is outside the tip of your rod when you start forward, your initial motion pulls it towards you (and the rod butt) rather than upwards and over. As you power the rod, the plug is traveling parallel instead of perpendicular to the rod butt. This loads the tip heavily and late, after the rod has already started forward. Bending the tip towards the butt of the rod at that short an angle that suddenly "high sticks" the tip and POP there goes the rod.

When throwing heavy stuff, pause at the end of the back cast to let the load settle perpendicular to the tip, then start your forward stroke with a short upwards, lifting motion before coming forward and over. Try to avoid that sensation of unrolling the tip and use the power of the midsection of the rod to do the work.

Again, I'm no expert, but I did watch my son do his best this am to snap a 1321L tossing a jig in the canal, and I can tell you that rod bent into some scary awful curves when he started his casts before the plug was 90 degrees beneath the tip. It sort of clarified something I'd been feeling (that unrolling sensation) on some of my own casts and I think what I learned will help me (and maybe you) avoid snapping a tip. Famous last words.

Sweetwater
05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
One danger of the canal, especially with graphite composites, is if the rod gets dropped on the rocks. Hairline fractures can do this.

Needmore Salts
05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
bassdawg is it a tsunami or a dolphin a little clarification would be nice.... i hope it aint a dolphin..not sure if i sent out my warranty card...............

jimmy z
05-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Jess
Besides the rod mishap, how ya been?
You might never find out why. It could be a number of different reasons. But all in all, rods break. It happens sometimes.

Islander77
06-02-2010, 12:23 AM
My money says its an AIRWAVE rod... They always blow up like that... everyone I have seen that blows up looks just like it... And for the record yes I own a lot of lamiglass stuff... for a reason its ALL custom wrapped not factory wrapped. I seriously believe that even though Lami says the factory stuff is same blanks they are not.... Ive done some horrid horrid things including tip wrapping a 4.5 oz Pt. Jude tin on em and nothing bad has happened... Oh and yes almost all.. Scratch that all are conventional... My $.02 on this is as a smart lil bastard i know once said... " My time to fish is limited, There fore I want stuff that wont fail or break when I can go..." Then he got slapped in the nuts by a fish and hasnt been the same since... :buds:

BassDawg
06-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi Jess
Besides the rod mishap, how ya been?
You might never find out why. It could be a number of different reasons. But all in all, rods break. It happens sometimes.

hey jimmy~~~

been fishin' yer rocks lately, to no avail.
there was tons of salad, thanks to the stinking Trawlers.
Life is good, the family is healthy, and God's still not done with me, yet! good to hear from you, how you been?

BassDawg
06-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Please don't take this wrong, it may help you and others avoid a repeat mishap. I'm also not pretending to be an expert caster (actually I suck at it), but while trying to get better I'm gradually beginning to understand what goes on and I'm pretty sure that rod broke because of a casting mistake.

That type of break is a classic "high stick" break. What that means is the angle of pull on the tip got too close to the blank. Often this occurs when landing a fish and you extend the rod upright with insufficient slack line and a fish at your feet. It can also occur casting, however, particularly throwing hard with heavy plugs if at the onset of your power stroke the plug has swung inside too close to the blank so the rod unrolls rather than flexes and unloads.

So, what causes the plug to end up too close to the blank during your power stroke? Turns out it is a bad backcast. Contrary to what you'd expect, starting late when the plug has swung inside some isn't usually the problem (tournament pendulum casts being an important exception), since the initial phase of your forward turn and stroke is slow and restarts the plug on the right trajectory. Rather it is starting forward too soon before the plug has settled 90 degrees under the tip. If the plug is outside the tip of your rod when you start forward, your initial motion pulls it towards you (and the rod butt) rather than upwards and over. As you power the rod, the plug is traveling parallel instead of perpendicular to the rod butt. This loads the tip heavily and late, after the rod has already started forward. Bending the tip towards the butt of the rod at that short an angle that suddenly "high sticks" the tip and POP there goes the rod.

When throwing heavy stuff, pause at the end of the back cast to let the load settle perpendicular to the tip, then start your forward stroke with a short upwards, lifting motion before coming forward and over. Try to avoid that sensation of unrolling the tip and use the power of the midsection of the rod to do the work.

Again, I'm no expert, but I did watch my son do his best this am to snap a 1321L tossing a jig in the canal, and I can tell you that rod bent into some scary awful curves when he started his casts before the plug was 90 degrees beneath the tip. It sort of clarified something I'd been feeling (that unrolling sensation) on some of my own casts and I think what I learned will help me (and maybe you) avoid snapping a tip. Famous last words.

DING-DING-DING-DING!!! yes folks~~ we have a WINNER!!!

i do believe that the Good Doctor has nailed it, excellent observation, and no i DO NOT take offense. as i began to read your post,,,,,,,,,,,, i recalled that in my "rush" to get my offering into the strike zone~~ i launched WELL before perpendicular as you described above^^^^

funny thing is, 999.999% of the time i am careful to load my rod properly, especially with weight that approaches the rod's spec's limits. so i will have to admit that this time was prolly due to user error, and my mommalukedness!!! SUX when it is YOU that futzzes yer equipment! THANKS, Geo, for shedding your light on the subject!!

FYI to ALL~~~ it is a TICA 10' Dolphin series, medhvy, composite.
i used "tsunami explosion" in the pix title, since it was only a 5oz swim shad that exploded it!!
i agree that it is confusing, editing the title~~~ NOW, gents!

Raven
06-02-2010, 04:55 AM
i like sensitivity and all the high tech.... crap

but i also think a solid fiberglass core is highly desirable

man i miss that OLD rod

GattaFish
06-02-2010, 05:53 AM
I had a Lamiglass do the same thing couple years ago,,,, they sent me a new one,,, I suck at casting, good thing I can swim out to the fishys,,,

Thumper
06-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Then he got slapped in the nuts by a fish and hasnt been the same since... :buds:

:rotf2:

Saltheart
06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Brake right at the guide wrap. Hmmm.

What's the warrantee on that rod?

Sorry to hear about your misery. It really sucks to break one but even more when you have no spare with you. :(

bassballer
06-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Brake right at the guide wrap. Hmmm.

What's the warrantee on that rod?

Sorry to hear about your misery. It really sucks to break one but even more when you have no spare with you. :(

Yup, blew up a 1202 last year and didnt have a spare. Pissed off ride home.

ivanputski
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Funny timing... I broke my brand new tica dolphin 10'6" the same night bass dawg posted his broken... they have a 1 year warranty *IF* you registered it when you bought it... problem is, Its a week there, a week back to ship, and you have to cover the shipping both ways which ran me just over 30 bucks...

piemma
06-03-2010, 05:58 AM
I have never trusted a factory wrapped rod. All my new rods are wrapped by CMS. Some are 15 to 20 years old back when they were in the very first store in Dartmouth. Pac By Saber blanks.

All my older rods are Lami or Fisher blanks wrapped by the late Dave Hammock at Murats. I have never had a rod break and I use to fish the surf 110 nights year.

jimmy z
06-03-2010, 09:45 PM
hey jimmy~~~

been fishin' yer rocks lately, to no avail.
there was tons of salad, thanks to the stinking Trawlers.
Life is good, the family is healthy, and God's still not done with me, yet! good to hear from you, how you been?
Doing better, thanks. It's has been a tough winter, family wise. But God's grace is sufficient for these things.
I'm glad to hear all is well with you my friend.
And yes, plenty of weeds to go around. lol:)

Swimmer
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
How long after the rod break did the blitz happen?