View Full Version : diver accident

american spirit
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
a customer of my dad just lost a son who was diving off salt island in gloucester recently. always see people diving out in gloucester. scary stuff. probably could happen to anyone wetsuiting out their too. can't be too careful out there.

The Iceman 6
06-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry to hear that. RIP.

Hooligans
06-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I was just there this sunday diving for scallops
Salt island is a good place to get them in and around
Pretty safe dive though shallow about 20-45 ft
Any details ?
And really sorry to hear it .

american spirit
06-03-2010, 06:27 AM
apparently he was diving alone. not sure what happened. he's been diving for years and is an instructor. not into that but i hear you should never go alone.

Slick Moedee
06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
GloucesterTimes.com, Gloucester, MA
May 26, 2010
Foul play not suspected in death of diver pulled from surf at Good Harbor Beach
By Patrick Anderson
Staff Writer

A 42-year old scuba diver from Carlisle died Wednesday afternoon after being pulled unconscious from the surf off of Good Harbor Beach.

The diver, identified as John Denaro of 138 Lowell St., Carlisle, by authorities, was pulled from the water in the private section of the beach near Salt Island by a Brier Neck lifeguard.

Denaro was not breathing when paramedics arrived and attempted to resuscitate him on the beach. He was transported to Addison Gilbert Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 2:05 p.m.

A spokesman for Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said foul play was not suspected in the death, which probably involved "a medical issue."

According to witnesses at Brier Neck, Denaro alone entered the water in his diving equipment on the Witham Street side of Good Harbor Beach around 1 p.m. Just before 1:30 p.m., a woman in a house on Salt Island Road overlooking the beach called 911 and reported a diver in distress.

Authorities will await an autopsy by the state medical examiner before issuing a cause of death. Denaro's tanks will be inspected by the state police dive team.

According to a list provided by the Essex County District Attorney's office, Denaro's death was the ninth by a diver in the waters off Cape Ann since 2002.

Raven
06-03-2010, 01:15 PM
so young and an instructor...too :hs:

i hope it's because of some "unknown" undiagnosed heart condition
kinda thing

instead of - we will never know circumstance

my condolences to the Family