View Full Version : Ump Blows Perfect Game On Last Out

flyvice11787
06-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Anyone else catch it? What would have been the last out of a perfect game by Detroit pitcher becomes a blown call by the ump :mad:!!! How does he not ask for help ??? MLB should fine and or suspend the ump and restore the perfect game.

striperman36
06-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Anyone else catch it? What would have been the last out of a perfect game by Detroit pitcher becomes a blown call by the ump :mad:!!! How does he not ask for help ??? MLB should fine and or suspend the ump and restore the perfect game.

That was tragic, I heard that on the red sox radio on the way home

BigFish
06-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Just saw it on the morning news. Too bad the moment was lost for the pitcher and his team...and also the fans. On a play that was so critical.....a review my have been in order.

BigFish
06-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Heard the ump took responsibility for his mistake....met with Galarraga the Tiger pitcher and apologized to him. Mistakes happen....but that was a class move by the umpire.:uhuh:

stcroixman
06-03-2010, 08:29 AM
MLB should be ashamed it doesn't use replay properly. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Will the ump be fined? NO - He apologized big F'n deal.

BigFish
06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey the guy made a huge mistake! You don't make em'? Now its in the Commisioners hands to change the call and re-instate the perfect game!:uhuh:

fishbones
06-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey the guy made a huge mistake! You don't make em'? Now its in the Commisioners hands to change the call and re-instate the perfect game!:uhuh:

I'm with you, Larry. The guy made a spit second decision that he thought was the right call, which clearly wasn't. Let the commissioner step in and change the call. The ump apologized and admitted he blew it, which is extremely rare with umps. I feel bad for Galaraga. He handled it with class and should get the opportunity to go down in history.

Oddly, this would have been the 3rd perfect game this season and it's barely June. That's never happened in the history of baseball.

MarshCappa
06-03-2010, 09:05 AM
I don't think they should change the call even if it is clearly a missed call. This would open the door for other close outs to be reviewed and would create a mess all around. I feel for the kid but what can you do? The Ump took responsibility and man'd up. I respect him for that. Seems like the pitcher is a class act as well by taking the meeting and accepting the apology.

spinncognito
06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Too big a mistake to go unpunished. Apology or not, he should at the very least be suspended for blowing that call at that moment when he should have been at his sharpest.

If any of us made that critical a mistake in our jobs there would certainly be consequences, up to and possibly including termination.

Joyce is calling Balls & Strikes in the series finale today. Ought to be interesting....

BigFish
06-03-2010, 11:51 AM
You can't suspend an umpire for making a bad call.....it was a mistake not an error in judgement or a felony?!!!:smash:

spinncognito
06-03-2010, 12:19 PM
You can't suspend an umpire for making a bad call.....it was a mistake not an error in judgement or a felony?!!!:smash:

A critical mistake made while doing a job he gets paid to do. My employer may indeed suspend me if I made a critical mistake at a critical moment.

BigFish
06-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Then we need to go back and suspend and/or prosecute all the umpires who had made bad calls over the years! I also think stadium arrest might be in order?!!:smash:

FishermanTim
06-03-2010, 03:15 PM
The league should review ALL calls that are contested, but not so much to overturn them as to let the umpires involved know that when they have been found in error, they will be cited by the league.

It won't reverse the call but put the umps on notice that THEY will be held accountable for the integrity of their calls. Set a limit for bad calls and when you hit the limit, you get sent to AAA.

BigFish
06-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Too big a mistake to go unpunished. Apology or not, he should at the very least be suspended for blowing that call at that moment when he should have been at his sharpest.

If any of us made that critical a mistake in our jobs there would certainly be consequences, up to and possibly including termination.

Joyce is calling Balls & Strikes in the series finale today. Ought to be interesting....

I think you are confusing a game.....with real financial losses as they relate to businesses and the workplace and life and death decisions! Really a stretch to compare them as the same thing. Its a game.....plain and simple.

Joe
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
The call should stand. Tough break for the pitcher, but that's part of baseball. He got screwed on a call - plain and simple.

Saltheart
06-03-2010, 10:10 PM
You cannot change a judgement call. If it were a misinterpretation of baseball rules or a mistake about a particular fields ground rules , it can be appealed but a judgement call cannot be changed. That's why the batter can't argue about balls and strikes with the umpire. Its his jusgement , not a matter of the rules.

That said , it was a raelly bad call i am surprised at how far off he was. Now what could have happened is he could have right there , said he wasn't sure and defer the call to the home plate ump. It happens fairly often. The home plate up , if the first base ump agrees , can change the call but he has to do it right there , not the next day. I am really surprised with so much on the line and the big uproar that he did not defer the call to the home plate ump.

Real shame for the picther though. Very likely he will never have the chance at a perfect game again , a no hitter maybe but a perfect game , probably not. :)

Dad 818
06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Part of the game. Yes it sucks.

If this gets overturned, then you open up every controversial play in the past. (especially these that immediately came to mind)

1985 WS Game 6, St. Louis vs Kansas City. Cards lead Series 3-2 and lead game 6 by a run in the bottom of the ninth. 2 outs and a similar play at first in which a Royals player was clearly out, but called safe. Royals rally and score 2 runs and then blowout Cards in Game 7 to win WS.

Jeter's playoff "home-run" when that little bastard Jeffrey Meier reached over the RF wall and interfered.