View Full Version : Distance Setups

Tattoo
03-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Boys and girls, I'm looking for some input on some of those long cast reels out on the market. You know the Daiwa Emblem and such. How do they stand up to abuse, etc etc etc. ?

Plan on strapping one of these things to an Arra 1322 for distance in certain areas.

So lets here the good, bad, and ugly....

tlapinski
03-06-2003, 11:34 AM
personally i think they are ugly! try a VS300 with braid if you want distance!

bloocrab
03-06-2003, 11:37 AM
So lets here the good, bad, and ugly....

I'm GOOD.......your the BAD & the UGLY!! :D

...I don't own an Emblem, but have always found my Daiwa's easy to maintain, and VERY durable. . . a value for the $$.

Tattoo
03-06-2003, 11:40 AM
MilkMan, I cant reel with that hand!!!!

Where's those guys that can cast across the canal????

jettyjockey18
03-06-2003, 11:42 AM
the only bad thing i've heard/read is that they don't like to be dunked...

fishweewee
03-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Mike-

Daiwa Emblem-X 5500A would be perfect for the XSRA 132-2.

I think that's the reel that Ron Arra uses.

JJ is right - they don't like to be dunked but they are a sweet reel for distance.

-Ben

JohnR
03-06-2003, 12:11 PM
No conventional me bub? What does Iron Skillet use - VS Right? You a southpaw?

Tattoo
03-06-2003, 12:16 PM
Hey Boss,

Some days when the wind is in your face and you need to launch that plug right over the begining of the reef conventionals are more trouble than they are worth.

Mr. Money bags fishes VS. He bought 4 on Saturday.....makes a total of (5) 300's now....plus who knows what else. I'll have to take a picture of them all one day.

Signed,

the OTHER hand

P.S. There are no fish on the reef so dont even bother trying.

JohnR
03-06-2003, 12:23 PM
:D

Yeh - I'm building a rod for my wife - spinning (just in case :D )

Bliz
03-06-2003, 01:12 PM
What's the current tag on them VS badboys?...

chris L
03-06-2003, 01:36 PM
yeah them vs 300 silvers how much ?

Mike P
03-06-2003, 01:41 PM
The black and gold are both $579 for the VS 300. Silvers cost extra, I hear.

chris L
03-06-2003, 01:43 PM
ouch !!!! Thanks Mike !

Bliz
03-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Are these reels all that they are said to be?...

Tattoo
03-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Just got my silver 250 lefty , so I will let you know in 9 months if the silver catches more fish or not.:smash:

tlapinski
03-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Don Blizard
Are these reels all that they are said to be?...

YES!!!! a word of warning: once you fish one you will not go back to your old reels!

Bill L
03-06-2003, 06:44 PM
FIVE?!?! :eek:

JHABS
03-06-2003, 06:51 PM
You should see the IRON MANS VS 400 LOOKS like it belongs on CJ for a winch.............

bassmaster
03-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Mike I gut one of them reels, I aint dunked it but it has green crap on the gold parts. I got the reel on a 1204 its ok.
U will like the 250, it can stop a mack truck.
Oh Ya , Ya killin Me

fireguy
03-06-2003, 08:35 PM
I fish the Canal with a long distance casting guy. I've watched him keep pace with the master himself - Ron Arra. I fished with some of the other long distance guys as well. These guys are easily hitting the 100 yard mark or beyond. They all seem to have one thing in common... Ron Arra 11' 6" conventionals with the newell 225 or 229. Most of them spool berkley big game 20 or 25lb test clear mono. This year will be my fourth fishing with these guys. I am still an apprentice. I use the abu 7000 with level wind. I tend to fall, on average, 20 yards shy of their casts. Most of us are throwing the 3 1/2 ounce gibbs or yozuri lures. Hope that helps with your quest for distance.

bassmaster
03-06-2003, 10:00 PM
You should see Slip throw with a spinner:eek:

Jenn
03-06-2003, 11:48 PM
I dont doubt their quality...but for 600 smack a roos.....well there are a LOT of things I could do with that cash! (like go fishing...instead of working to pay for it!!) to rich for my blood!

as for distance...yeah I suppose theres a time and place....but for the most part(and I think a lot of people would agree) its highly overrated

bloocrab
03-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Jenn,

..the "STELLA" by Shimano averages around $600 too...:hs:

...but these reels GUARANTEE fish in the fine print. :smash:

Jenn
03-07-2003, 12:30 AM
..the "STELLA" by Shimano averages around $600 too...

yepper!....or you can spend 150-200 for something (well I consider ) decent, take a four day weekend fishing my favorite place and still have $$left to pay a bill or two!!;)

when yer always broke...you have to make priorities.....and I would rather be able to fish than to have a $1000 set up I couldnt use...:rolleyes:

bloocrab
03-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Mr. Money bags fishes VS. He bought 4 on Saturday.....makes a total of (5) 300's now....

...sounds more like a status symbol than anything else..:confused:

:smash: (5) of them ?? OVERKILL......NO?? :smash:

.....you mean he wouldn't have landed that 50 on something else??...

...to each his own.

Jenn
03-07-2003, 12:57 AM
...sounds more like a status symbol than anything else..

its not how much you paid for your toys....its HOW YOU USE THEM that counts!!!:eek: ;)

bloocrab
03-07-2003, 01:06 AM
...I know how to use my toy(s)...

:topic:

Jenn
03-07-2003, 01:09 AM
:humpty: :smokin: :heybaby: :doh:

bloocrab
03-07-2003, 01:19 AM
http://www.vanstaal.com/images/Spinning_Reels/VS300_FS_400.gif

....I'm not doubting their performance.....its just with a recent dirt purchase...I'll be doing this for a long time....
:rolleyes:

Tattoo
03-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Bloo,

Some people collect cars, other lures...this guys collects VS's. :smash:

mrmacey
03-07-2003, 05:43 AM
jewlery, something the boys from new bedford wear on chains :D

tlapinski
03-07-2003, 06:12 AM
i used to be a VS basher. i thought things like "why would anyone pay that for a reel?" "i never had any problems with my penns not handling fish!" but, then i did start to fall a little short with my "cheapo" penns. if you are looking to do to a reel, what the VS is designed for, then it is worth it. it isn't a status symbol, but an appreciation of the quality and capability of a well crafted fishing tool. will using a VS make you outfish others? probably not. but it will allow you to do some things that are unthinkable with other reels. just my reasoning.....

Bliz
03-07-2003, 07:41 AM
Sounds like these reels are pretty durable.

I wonder how much maintenance they need?

I would imagine that it wouldn't be too high maintenance with the simplicity of it's design...

tlapinski
03-07-2003, 07:51 AM
as with all of my reels, i rinse them off with slowly running water after each use. that is about all they need. you do have to send them in for a yearly service, about $36, which keeps the warantee up to date. the service includes drag washers, full breakdown and cleaning, and a few other things i can't remember off hand. well worth the effort. i figure i used to spend a good $35 per year on the penns between grease, washers, etc..

Bliz
03-07-2003, 07:59 AM
The "reel maintenance thing" should help a few of us to save some $ this year...

bassmaster
03-07-2003, 08:59 AM
:smash:

Bliz
03-07-2003, 09:01 AM
BM,

Mind if I clean up and haul away some of that junk for you?:rolleyes:

bassmaster
03-07-2003, 09:09 AM
sure, i got more but they be on rods if You can believe that:eek:
every think has a place and time.
can never have to many reels or rods

JohnR
03-07-2003, 09:09 AM
I have had issues with the price and probably wouldn't do it myself (that's 2 Calcuttas!) but if I were a spin fisherman, I would seriously consider it. Steve McKenna has been using those since year one and he's had a bunch since I first met him (hence the Tim C nickname of Stevie Van Stall). I also know how he fishes and a lot of other reels wouldn't stand up to it for long.

If you can afford to swing it, consider it. If you can't, carry a spare bailless Z with you. I always carry a spare Calcutta or MagE with me too.

Hey VSRick - what ever happened to that rumored VS Conventional - need a field tester wink-wink nudge-nudge :D ?

Your friendly neighborhood fishing website owner / operator :btu:

bassmaster
03-07-2003, 09:13 AM
John every reel I buy now is VS
You get what You pay for and I kill gear:smash:

Bliz
03-07-2003, 09:19 AM
a VS conventional would be a wonderful thing!:D

I was never much a spinning advocate myself...

I may consider a Calcutta, or other performance conventional this season.

I do like the ABU reels though...

bassmaster
03-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Im sure If VS made a conv reel it would Be smooth.
I wonder if they would balance the spool (hint)

Bliz
03-07-2003, 09:28 AM
I hope that VS does eventually produce conventional!

I'm sure that it would be an extremely smooth reel.

Imagine a conventional reel with an extemely balanced spool that is literally suspended by miniature superconductor magnets...

Something like that could revolutionize the long cast!...

Goose
03-07-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm also guilty of being a VS basher. Its ok to dishout $600 for a shot gun that gets used two weeks in the fall....verse a $450 on a reel fished atleast 6 months of the year."if you fish" then there are those who have VS's just to support their reputation or just because they can afford it. I currently don't own one yet, if you take your passion seriously and fish alot in the surf , not on the edge, then I think its a wise investment.

bassmaster
03-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Im not into the stat thing, I blow up stuff and B sick of it.
thats why I use them things.

fishweewee
03-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Some thoughts on savings some pennies if you want a VS:

You might want to consider getting a used first-generation VS reel. I see them popping up for around $300+ or so.

Then send 'em to the factory for an annual servicing (unless this has already been done) for an extra $40.

Tattoo
03-07-2003, 10:33 AM
OK, before this thing turns into a complete waste of time.....

Anyone else have any experience with these long cast reels?

At the moment the peanut gallery has responeded told us that it doesnt like to get dunked and is easy to fix.

Is it worth the $$ or is there a better mousetrap?

fishweewee
03-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Mike-

They cast great. They fight great.

They don't like to be dunked - the drags get awful sticky after a few splashes.

They are a good value for the money - if you don't plan on dunking them.

One thing I found when disassembling them ... the rotor (and most of the body) is made of plastic, some of it very thin in certain places. Easy to crack. This is NOT an issue when fishing...just when you're trying to take apart the reel to clean it.

I like the reel's performance, I just wish it could be made dunk-worthy.

-WW

milo
03-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Mike whats wrong with the naut 7500,worked ok for me last yr and it likes to swim.And mikecc has for 130 now.:D

Tattoo
03-07-2003, 10:47 AM
MIlo, didnt know Nautil was one of those long spool setups.

milo
03-07-2003, 10:50 AM
I know its not as long as the one your talkin about but its not that bad

OldJohn
03-07-2003, 11:46 AM
A few observations:

Spinning-reel casting distance is largely a function of large spool diameter coupled with small line diameter. VSs have comparativlely wide spools (compared to other reels of equal overall size) and so can allow good distance with fine-diameter line (e.g., 14# Fireline). Similarly, the old Penn 706 has a very wide spool and could be considered a distance-spinning reel. The Daiwa Emblems have huge spools and are probably the best as long as distance is the PRIMARY consideration. I have and use all of these. "Course if you really want to cast to the horizon, you'd wanna look at one of those Alvey thingies--the widest spool of all--which I haven't tried, but look like fun! Hope that's in some ways helpful.....:) --OJ

Jenn
03-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Its ok to dishout $600 for a shot gun that gets used two weeks

well dont you know you cant compare guns and reels....SHEESH! two totally different things...;)

bloocrab
03-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Spinning-reel casting distance is largely a function of large spool diameter coupled with small line diameter

...OldJohn, the line diameter I agree with, but I personally think it's the spool's height, not diameter that increases distance. The diameter increases the line volume, but the height of the spool makes it easier to allow the line to come off. Actually with a large diameter and not enough line, your killing your distance.

IMO-

bloocrab
03-07-2003, 01:20 PM
...the line has less resistance with a longer spool as opposed to a wider one.

Tattoo
03-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Bloo, I agree with your theory.

The tall boys always go down faster than those little 7oz mini cans.

Must be less friction.:smash: :happy:

Crazy Alberto
03-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Hey Tattoo,

I have both reels (Emblem and VS reels) and used it with my favorite Lami. 1322. If you are just looking to get maximum distance with a spinning reel – You should get the Emblem hands down because it is designed for distance casting - but I do caution you with this… The Emblems are NOT a fighting machine like the VS 250 / or 300 and if by any chance it gets dunked… Guess what? Party is over! The Emblem drags are very temperamental and the first thing to go. It will be destroyed in no time (it happened to mine) and IMHO, it lacks the required torque (due to design and high speed ratio) to subdue a quality fish!

Now, I have several VS and I am content with it! The 250 or 300 are great casting machines if you do the following. Use thin braid, fill line to the spool’s rim, before casting - turn the handle until spool is extended out of the cup, make sure to use ample topshot/shocker and you are good to go! With those simple adjustments, you will be amazed how far you can cast! The beauty of it all… You have a distance casting machine with enough muscle to control big fish! And the best part of it all… It’s okay to dunk it!

With this in mind, I will tell you a related story, my friend Arra and I were at the canal… He’s using his conventional and I had my 250 and his Sig. 1322 series rod. We are side to side casting major distance and culling fish. One point there were fish past the ¾ of the canal… I punched a cast with all I’ve got and it got Ron’s attention. He said… “Wow, that’s some cast Al… and is that my rod?” I said… “Absolutely Ron… I love the rod and I also did some minor adjustments to the outfit.” ;)

Hope this helps.

“Crazy” Alberto

JPowers
03-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Tattoo: I've got three Daiwa Emblems X5000T's. They cast a mile - farther than any other reel I've used. However, they have no IAR and that's a huge problem for me especially when throwin' jigs. The damn reel handle/cranks bang back against the shaft very badly. Causes problems in the long run ( about 25 hours worth of this banging and that's it - Repair job). I also would be very hesitant to get it soaked - a little to fragile for too much abuse.

Goose
03-07-2003, 03:33 PM
check yopur pm's jenn:af:

SeaWolf
03-07-2003, 07:53 PM
ink-man, do me a favor. either buy another vs and throw braid on it or buy one of longer casting conventional reels, such as a 6500mag or penn 525. you buy one of those other reels and i'll see you on this board bashing it in 2 months or less of fishing. we know how we punnish our tackle where we fish. and, if the wind is honking in your teeth, why aren't you casting at your feet!

vs was working on a prototype conventional reel before the new owners took it over. not sure where that stands. if you think a vs spinner is expensive, wait for that conventional!

Slipknot
03-07-2003, 08:09 PM
:eek:
Yikes, between Crazy Alberto's and JPowers' posts, I wonder why I want one of these reels :(

I thought ya could jig with it, guess not. I thought it could handle fish in the canal, guess not. :(
Why the hell do they cost so much if they have all these flaws?

Backbeach Jake
03-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Geez, guys my Scots heritage just won't allow me to spend 5-6hundred bucks on a reel. I'm getting 125-150 yards with 30# Fireline( well broken in ) from my Squidder. Looking for 200 , but lose my nerve putting that much back into it. That reel only cost me 35 bucks at the Wellfleet FleaMarket. Bought 3 others. Blow 'em out with Brake Cleaner, WD40 , and a little Penn Lube here and there ..don't go nuts. Wet the spool and Wizzzzzzzz!

Tattoo
03-08-2003, 05:17 AM
Looks like it's time for anothe VS then. Thans for the input boys and girls.

! if the wind is honking in your teeth, why aren't you casting at your feet!

because sometimes the bait get trapped at that rock.....ahhhh nevermind. I'll show you this year.

JohnR
03-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Tattoo
Looks like it's time for anothe VS then. Thans for the input boys and girls. Steal one off the MikeMan - won't even notice as long as its not engraved with a mermaid or something...

if you think a vs spinner is expensive, wait for that conventional! Yeh - tell me about it

Oznavad
03-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Tattoo,

If distance is absolutely critical, the Emblem is your reel. I have one that I use, but very rarely. It's a third string reel. I put it on either an XRA 1322 or a 13'6" Rainshadow, both with Low Rider guides. I also use 30 lb PP for a bit more extra distance. It gets pulled out when the fish are way out and I'm throwin tin at them.

The Emblem is the only reel I have problems with bail closure on. I've done a lot of field testing on rod reel set ups and for my primary reels, the order for distance is Emblem first, then the Nautil, then VS. For most real fishing situations, the difference is negligable, but if distance is most important, the Emblem comes out, though it's not the reel I'd want when the "one" takes my plug.

If given the choice of reaching the fish and risking a blow up, or not reaching them with a winch of a reel, I'll take my chances after I reach them.

Bliz
03-12-2003, 11:01 AM
So,

What are some of the best long distance conventionals out there?...

Any recommendations?

Tattoo
03-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Don,

ABU6500, but it's kind of on the small side and doesn't hold all that much line.

ABU7000 w/11'rod is the way to go for conventional.

Spinning, the jury is still out on that one.

Bliz
03-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Anyone know where I can find a good price on a ABU 7000CS ProRocket?...

Duckwump
03-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Some other longcasting conventional reels ot consider include the Penn 525 Mag and the Daiwa SHV or Grand Wave Series.

They are going to fill the void now that Abu has sold its soul to the bass fishing market.

Tom

ralph
03-20-2003, 09:45 AM
don et al: THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BOARD. AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST.
first i must warn you i too am very new to this hobby/sport.
so i hate to do this to you guys during this fragile economy, i pray you will find room in your hearts to forgive me. there are two spinning reels that come highly recommended, that were not mentioned here, for casting long distance in the surf. they are the surf master by penn and the baitrunner by daiwa. albeit the emblem xt and the xa are excellent products. rumor has it the za even has a water proof drag for you VS lovers.
for those of you who plan to attend the sports show in plymouth this weekend check out Hatteras Jack booth. Ryan White the owner/operator is one of the finest long distance casters in the country. and on he** of a nice guy to boot. I do not owe him any more money so you can tell him I sent you.
for those not able to attend see www.hatterasoutfitters.com. tres (pronounced trey) he is another great source for long distance tackle.
so there you have it. good luck!
p.s. DO NOT MISS the long distance casting seminar by big daveon 4/12. If he is the same guy is saw cast at the Nationals in 2002 he is amazing!
if you do not have a second job to support this hobby, get one

:D :D