View Full Version : Not really striper talk, Cod Talk

FINnie
06-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Im taking tomorrow off of work to go on a cod charter. im going alone, and have never caught a cod. Im borrowing gear from a friend who is a good fisherman. Just wondering if anyone has any tips to make me not look like an idiot. Im going out of plum island and am pretty excited. weather looks nice too! :jump1:

Nebe
06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
they dont hit poppers. Thats about all i know about cod..

Rob Rockcrawler
06-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Learn to try a dropper loop knot tonight before ya go. Put it 18" or so above your jig and attach a teaser. Watch the guys that are catching and do what they are doin.

clcharette
06-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Stay in contact with the bottom always.

If you are using a tandem bait rig, I like putting a teaser on the top hook so if all the bait gets eaten the rig still fishes.

Set the hook only once and then reel steady until the fish gets to the surface. If the fish is a keeper don't bring the fishes head out of the water until the mate puts the gaff in it.

Good luck.

niko
06-03-2010, 06:37 PM
if you are bait fishing use the same amount of weight as everyone else. if you are using braid put on a 30' topshot of mono. good luck - have fun

FishNH
06-03-2010, 09:29 PM
try jigging. thats whats been working best.
if thier fishing the inshore grounds off Hampton there has been alot of big cod the past few days. 20 to fish @70lbs
so hold on :)

kenyee
06-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Set the hook only once and then reel steady until the fish gets to the surface.

Ditto this...do *not* pump the rod while reeling up even if your arms feel like they're falling off from the 16oz weights to get to the bottom....:smash:

Saltheart
06-04-2010, 01:19 AM
get there early and stake out a good spot on the boat. I like one of the corners of the stern.

Rob Rockcrawler
06-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Ive never tried the stern, i always go for he bow so i can fling the jig. Next time i go out im going to try a stern spot. Let us know how ya did out there.