View Full Version : Mono/Fluro leader for the ditch

chefchris401
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
What test are you guys using for the ditch?

Ive been using 50lb ande big game leader material, tying my own, 3 to 4 foot lengths.

I had a fish (23lbs) hit my plug then submarine to the bottom, i successfully landed the fish but the leader was severely chaffed and ready to break, im thinking if that fish had been much bigger i would have lost it.

im thinking of going up to 60, a friend throws 80lb when he jigs.

Just curious what everyone else is using or a tip that might help.

JohnnyD
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
50# Fluorocarbon - jigging or plugging.

Circlehook
06-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I only use 50lb mono there. Doesn't seem to make a difference between mono and flouro there for me at night. Mono is cheaper so I stayed with it. Daytime topwater fishing, flouro may matter...

BigFish
06-04-2010, 02:07 PM
50# Floro.

Diggin Jiggin
06-04-2010, 02:09 PM
40 # pink ande mono, for both jigging and plugging.

bart
06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
50# mono. day or night, doesn't matter

Bronko
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
50lb Berkley Big game mono for all my ditch leaders. If you really think you need to spend the extra $$ on floro I'd reserve it for those situations where it could really payoff. (super bright moon at night/really picky fish on the flats or skinny water etc.)

Everybody has their own opinions on this, this is my humble offering.

numbskull
06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I use flouro. Since I don't catch anything anymore spending lots of money on myself makes me feel smarter.

Mike P
06-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Nothing kicks the crap out of a leader more than jigging the Canal.

I use regular 40 or 50# Big Game mono.

If I used flouro I would probably spend close to $200 a year on leaders alone.

Adam_777
06-04-2010, 07:49 PM
You should retie after landing a 23lb fish everytime if you ask me.If not your asking for a breakoff. I use mono for my leaders.30 -50 but I don't fish that place.

Rob Rockcrawler
06-04-2010, 07:55 PM
40 lb triple fish, works for me, its pretty much all i use in all situations. Never had it fail me.

chefchris401
06-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys.

i always check my leaders after even a decent fish and retie. but that fish the other day went head first to the bottom and the whole time throughout the fight. the leader was chaffed almost all the way up and my brand new plug looks like a seasoned vet after one fish.

Andes has worked great for me, just getting some opinions and seeing if what im doing is right.

numbskull
06-05-2010, 03:56 AM
Small point but if you use mono consider going with a company's leader material rather than their bulk mono. The leader stuff usually has better abrasion/shock resistance and knot strength (at the expense of less flexibility and with a thicker diameter) than the equivalent running line.

JamesJet
06-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I use 40LB Ande Mono, I used to use Flouro and don't seem to notice a difference. Not to say I have tested it out on many hogs, but for my standards - shorts up to 42 inch fish (which would probably tip at around 23lbs) the 40 mono seems fine.

I do agree that you need to keep a close eye on it though, changing only takes a minute and gives your shoulders/back a break. I always rush the knots when fish are around though and have learned the hard way to take time and retie if something does not cinch down correctly.

kenyee
06-05-2010, 01:13 PM
50# fluoro...it does seem to be more rock resistant than mono but it also is a lot harder to tie good knots with it and it's a lot stiffer. It actually feels like thicker mono, so that might be another option for you.
I'm actually surprised you had that problem w/ big game leader/mono...it's fairly rub resistant...

chefchris401
06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm actually surprised you had that problem w/ big game leader/mono...it's fairly rub resistant...

i didnt break, but looked it it was about too. Today i was checking it out again and was try to pull and snap it, i couldnt do it, so I am very confident in the andes big game leader and have always used it and was glad to see i couldnt snap it by hand. So ill be sticking with it, unless something else amazing comes along.

dont fix what isnt broken.

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-06-2010, 01:03 PM
I have been there quite a bit lately and from what I have seen you should use a 6 inch black steel leader with a huge clip and a 4 inch storm shad on an 11 foot 2 piece white rod. I think the key is to retrieve with your reel upside down and only cast 7 feet out in any direction you can. Oh and make sure you use the mono that came factory shrink wrapped on the reel. Or in other words just keep on doing what your doing Chris:rotf2:

JohnnyD
06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I have been there quite a bit lately and from what I have seen you should use a 6 inch black steel leader with a huge clip and a 4 inch storm shad on an 11 foot 2 piece white rod. I think the key is to retrieve with your reel upside down and only cast 7 feet out in any direction you can. Oh and make sure you use the mono that came factory shrink wrapped on the reel. Or in other words just keep on doing what your doing Chris:rotf2:

Sounds about right! :rotflmao::rotflmao:

O.D. Mike
06-06-2010, 10:24 PM
What test are you guys using for the ditch?

Ive been using 50lb ande big game leader material, tying my own, 3 to 4 foot lengths.

I had a fish (23lbs) hit my plug then submarine to the bottom, i successfully landed the fish but the leader was severely chaffed and ready to break, im thinking if that fish had been much bigger i would have lost it.

im thinking of going up to 60, a friend throws 80lb when he jigs.

Just curious what everyone else is using or a tip that might help.

I use 10 feet of 40lb Big game (green) tied to braid

Saltheart
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I use 50 LB Ande pink or 60 LB Ande green. I like to start with a long leader , maybe 9 tp 12 feet. I snip it often to get rid of the worn area near the jig. When it gets to about 3 feet , I replace it with a longer one. Even just 3 to 4 feet provides a little shock absorbance and something to grab instead of the braid.

I tried Stren Fluoro once. Stuff sucked , went back to Ande. Nothing beats nice heavy Ande pink! :) By 1/4 pound spool at Kmart for about $4.