View Full Version : Pogies from Shore

Chris in Mass
06-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Gonna make a third attempt to live line pogies from shore. Built the bait tank for my suv with help from the good folks from this site (see How to forum). I have a couple of RI backwater spots that I was able to reach pogies. With the pogie boats in full swing, should I attempt or go with plan B (getting skunked the good old fashioned way)? If you don't want to post, a PM with generaities and random thoughts would be greatly appreciatied. Thanks

Van
06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Back in the day they were think as S^%$ in quincy, we did not bother with a bait tank.
Throw out a snagger hook, stab em' good and just leave it there.
The wounded swim and blood works like a charm.:uhuh::uhuh:

ivanputski
06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
if you are able to obtain pogies, and transport them alive, I would live line them straight out the end of a breachway on a dropping tide... the problem with live lining bunker in back bays in the same place you snag them is there arent always bass there... the "find the bait, find the fish" saying doesnt always apply... thats why guys in boats get bunker, and then take off for a nice reef... get your bait, and then get to where the fish are... good luck!

numbskull
06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Random thought. Bait is bait. Big bass often would rather slurp up a pogie head than chase a live one. Pogies are fragile. When snagged, blood in the bait tank kills them fast. You need a lot of water exchange (or net caught pogies) to avoid this (they sell dissolvable surfactant/buffer tablets you can put in your tank that supposedly helps some). Increasing water temp kills them, too. Trying to keep them alive in a car seems like a lot of trouble. Why not catch them fresh and chunk them? Or toss and retrieve fresh dead ones....that works, too, as does a big white danny.

Chris in Mass
06-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys. What's the prognosis - have the pogie boats done there damage and chances are slim to none - missed opportunity from shore? Or are there still some pods kicking around? Again - not looking for spots or details.

MotoXcowboy
06-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I second numbskulls post. Caught my personal best last year, using the head of a fresh pogie. I snagged those pogies 20miles north of the spot where I caught the big bass. chum chum chum - goodluck

bloocrab
06-07-2010, 11:25 PM
.... have the pogie boats done there damage and chances are slim to none - ..... Or are there still some pods kicking around? Again - not looking for spots or details.

There are still some around....:uhuh:

chathamblue30
06-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Chum and they will come

bloocrab
06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Chum and they will come

Chum for pogies?...with what, plankton? .... :confused:

MotoXcowboy
06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
chum the pogies/ the bass will come ;)

bloocrab
06-08-2010, 07:12 PM
chunk the fresh pogies / the bass will come ;)

:fishin: