View Full Version : What kind of permit do you need for this?

MrHunters
06-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a video but it doesn't do it justice.

Went out on the new boat for our first bassin trip. Head over to some usual spots and find gill nets that are over 100 yrds long. Then I notice a crap ton of high flyers that are marking what looks like a bait pen that was at least 50x50 yrds.. being held up by big barrels like the ones in JAWS! Virtually making the area unfishable...

Off to the next spot.. Same thing... This time the gill net ran the length between an island and smaller rock that I used to troll my tubes through... and one one side of the islands, same bait net pen setup....ok that sucks... guess we go off to the next spot..

SAME THING!!!! all withing a mile of eachother... I guess I know why there were no pogies/macks in the area and the gulls were having a feast!

In 5 years of fishing that area i've never seen anything like that.. The whole AREA UNFISHABLE for trolling anything...

I felt like loading up on their bait I was so PO'd

Maybe I'm over reacting and a charter guys gotta make a living but he took ALL the area... not some... ALL... even the dive boats were having a problem finding a good spot...

Not only was it annoying but what if I was coming through there at night...?? I would have been all wrapped up in that crap... You would not see the line going from rock to island..

I'm assuming it's the same guy because all spots were laid out exactly the same.:wall::wall::wall:

Overreaction or justified??

Nebe
06-05-2010, 01:39 PM
sounds like the fish traps you see scattered around SOCO, Newport and suck-on-it point... Its legal if they have permits. I heard the owner of the Suck-on-it point trap got nailed for selling bass that were either too short or out of season- it was an un-godly amount of fish... but he is still is allowed to fish

Dick Durand
06-05-2010, 02:43 PM
As Nebe pointed out, the fish traps are located throughout RI and all are strategically set along jetties or rocky shorelines. I've always thought they had to be grandfathered, but who knows? I do recall someone applied to place a fishtrap off the outside of the Center Wall of the Harbor of Refuge, which was denied due to navigational concerns. Reportedly, the trappers can return fish to the water unharmed, but they are also permitted to keep smaller bass, perhaps as small as 24".

luds
06-06-2010, 09:29 AM
justified

PRBuzz
06-06-2010, 01:58 PM
There are fish pens/nets just NE of West Island, Fairhaven MA. They are marked on the maps but a real surprise if you don't know they are there.

Islander77
06-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Fish traps... Its an old school commercial fishery.. I understand your frustration, But they pay for their sites and permits...