View Full Version : Transducer help

fishaholic18
03-06-2003, 04:24 PM
I just bought a Garmin 188c, does anyone know if I can use the transom mount transducer as a thru hull? Or do I have to spend another $100 for a f***kin' thru hull. If not, any ideas on how to mount the tran. mount without drilling holes?

Clammer
03-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Fish
you can use it without making holes

but you may be better off with a thru hull /but set it inside
THats what I like about the place I do business with/he won,t make you buy a [[package]] pay a little more but in the long run you save money

UserRemoved1
03-06-2003, 06:49 PM
You can epoxy it to the inside of the hull and shoot through the hull, as long as there are no voids in the hull. But even if the hull is perfect you will lose 20% or more of your signal. You can fill a bag with water and stick the ducer on top of the bag in the bildge to see if it will work first. Drill the transom and mount it back there. Best way to do it.

Dav
03-06-2003, 09:09 PM
You can always mount it on a board and clamp it to the transum

JohnR
03-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Why not drill holes? If properly done - you will get no water damage...

fishaholic18
03-06-2003, 09:27 PM
When I had my Hummingbird, I was able to silicone it to the transom, it had a nice flat surface. The Garmin trans. doesn't stay on due to the finned shape of the mount. I was thinking of siliconing starboard to transom but I'm told it won't stick. I don't want to perm. mount this thing until I know exactly where it needs to be. I had alot of problems with loosing the signal on my Hummingbird when under way.

JohnR
03-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Will they take it back in exchange towards a shoot thru ?

Van
03-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Don't take a chance on "sticking" to the hull. If it comes loose you are scr#$ed. You should not worry about drilling a couple of small holes. Silicon them and your all set.

heres a tip a "boat guy" told me about sealing screws in the boat.

Drill the hole and drive the screw in dry. Take it out add the silicon, but DO NOT tighten all the way it will push the silicon out.
Rather drive it most of the way, and leave it just a 1/4-1/2 turn loose, then after the silicon cures thighten the rest of the way, that way the sealant stays put.\

I have reservations about the Hummingbirds, I have had mine quite a few years and its time for an upgrade. They tell you the depth, but fish finding ain't the best. If you loose signal underway, turn the gain up. thats ususally the fix.

good Luck

fishaholic18
03-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll go with screwing it to the transom, hopefully I pick the right spot the first time. Thanks again.:)

Van
03-08-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by fishaholic18
Thanks for the replies. I'll go with screwing it to the transom, hopefully I pick the right spot the first time. Thanks again.:)
Keep it as far from the power as possible without being out of the water at high speed, and on a flat/horizontal area (if you got it).