View Full Version : ....even a blind squirrel ..

Old Man
06-08-2010, 08:35 AM
...finds a nut once in a while...

Bronko
06-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Nice fish Oldman!

O.D. Mike
06-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Great catch! What fly did you use?

Raven
06-09-2010, 08:50 PM
perseverance paid off :btu:

Old Man
06-10-2010, 06:40 AM
O.D. Mike....

...a few strands of flash....dark green over chartruse over white bucktail on a Mustad 2/0 C71S SS hook....

..I've grown to be a big fan of those circle hooks....

...I've always had issues tying multiples of the same 'patterns' and have ended up putting together whatever catches my eye out of the stash at the time....

..plus when the schoolies are in the trough off the edge of the sandbar...it don't matter what the pattern is ...they are there feeding on whatever slides by ...

...and yes it did splash my glasses after only a 20 second revival session..

Old Man aka Bob

Raven
06-10-2010, 07:22 AM
OH i LIKE that approach....

kinda of like spur of the moment thinking

not adhering to a regimented plan and just building
your fly presentation on a whim....

very artistic....

just like NEBE :uhuh:

saltydog
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Old Man, nice catch, chartruce is always a good color. do you fish any FLATWINGS.

GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN:uhuh:

O.D. Mike
06-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Old man,

I'm a fan of synthetics these are my go to flies, there are a couple of natural flies in the mix. If we could see a pic of your fly I would appreciate it!

I have some small circles, I'll have to give that a try!

Sorry about the glasses.....

Mike

Double Hall
06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Old man,

I'm a fan of synthetics these are my go to flies, there are a couple of natural flies in the mix. If we could see a pic of your fly I would appreciate it!

I have some small circles, I'll have to give that a try!

Sorry about the glasses.....

Mike

Not to side track, but where do you get your tying supplies? I've recently inherited my grandfathers freshwater supplies and not sure what, if anything can be carried over to salt.

I'm sure a lot of it is rare at this point, but I don't know what to do with it as I'm almost entirely a saltwater angler. I have probably 40 cigar boxes worth of "stuff", as well as a handbuilt "travel" tying kit that is stocked with his supplies as well. If anyone that knows saltwater and tying in general is willing to take a look and let me know what I should keep, sell, or toss, I'd appreciate it and will give you a few pieces here and there. I'm keeping the vices, and tools out of sentimental value, but I'd like to put them to good use. :)

O.D. Mike
06-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Not to side track, but where do you get your tying supplies? I've recently inherited my grandfathers freshwater supplies and not sure what, if anything can be carried over to salt.

I'm sure a lot of it is rare at this point, but I don't know what to do with it as I'm almost entirely a saltwater angler. I have probably 40 cigar boxes worth of "stuff", as well as a handbuilt "travel" tying kit that is stocked with his supplies as well. If anyone that knows saltwater and tying in general is willing to take a look and let me know what I should keep, sell, or toss, I'd appreciate it and will give you a few pieces here and there. I'm keeping the vices, and tools out of sentimental value, but I'd like to put them to good use. :)

There is a lot of material that you can use in saltwater fly tying. The hooks will probably be to small. You can always donate to the younger anglers on the site.

I'm also a saltwater fisherman, its very rare for me to be seen at a pond or a lake. I started tying flys in 1987, wooly worms and nymphs for fresh water.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info

Mike