View Full Version : opinions on wading boots

TPrete
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
I guess i didn't rinse my boots enough they aren't that old but the metal is coroding. any suggestion for my next pair?

afterhours
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
sme good stuff here...
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/63665-alternative-korkers.html

Clogston29
06-10-2010, 06:11 AM
that's the biggest problem with boots IMO. even the good ones don't seam to be made for saltwater use. the metal on the laces goes quick, even with diligent cleaning. I'm thinking of bringing my korkers boots to a cobbler to see what they can do.

tattoobob
06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
I am also looking for a new pair, boots only seem to last me a year maybe a year and a half. LL Bean doesn't make the ones I have anymore so I will have to upgrade, I am going to take a ride by there today

numbskull
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Some of the Simms boots have saltwater-proof hardware. Since mid-summer last year I've been using an expensive pair of their G4 boots (vibram soles with screwed in studs) they show very little wear so far. Mine never get rinsed and never dry. Can't say I like them, though. They are very heavy and very wide. Easy on and off, but in scrambled rocks the wide soles throw you off balance and they seem too heavy to swim in.

fishbones
06-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I just picked up a new pair at LL Bean and so far, so good. I figured with the way I take care of stuff, the warranty there is a good deal for me. I don't do all that much fishing from shore, but I've gone through 2 pairs of Cabela's boots in the last 4 years.

Pete F.
06-10-2010, 10:58 AM
My beans riversomethings don't seem to be rusting bad, one seam is starting to let loose though. You will be into them for over a hundred bucks though.

redcrbbr
06-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Don't buy the redhead studded wading boots from bass pro. They had good feel BUT were junk within 2 months. seams let go, sole seperated, got my money back (store credit)- the only good thing about them.
Going with the LLBeans this year.

luds
06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
LL Bean Grey Ghosts. When the metal rusts too much you just swap them for a new pair.

Ken_J
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Cabellas Ultra Lite 2's

so far better than the originals and nice design changes; the originals were pretty darn nice to begin with and affordable

I have used this style for almost 5 years

good luck

jskinner
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I got a lot of use out of convertible korkers. I liked that I could replace the studs, or the entire sole. They're pretty much done now and I just ordered a new pair. They sell several models now that have the "omnitrax" changeable soles.

bloocrab
06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
LL Bean Grey Ghosts. When the metal rusts too much you just swap them for a new pair.

I was looking at those....did you get the studded kind? if so, how do you like em' ? When I blew up the picture on their site, it doesn't show the studs.

Thanks

ivanputski
06-10-2010, 10:25 PM
cabelas ultra lite 2's are great boots... super durable, comfortable, light, and an sale right now or next week for 49 bucks...

AL617
06-11-2010, 09:18 AM
So far this season I have been using the Korkers cross currents with the interghangable sole. They dont have metal loops for the laces to rust and are very comfortable and light, however the little orange tabs that are supposed to hold the sole in do pop out while Im on the rocks and I have resorted to wearing them with old fashioned Korkers k1100s to avoid disaster. It seems to only happen with the right boot so maybe I just got a bad one. Overall I like them, just dont want my studded sole to pop out on a slimy rock in the dark.

DZ
06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Just received my Cabelas Ultra lites and wearbars yesterday. They look good. Going with 14 studs per boot at first - may add more if deemed necessary. 48 studs are almost as expensive as the boots.
Just hoping they stay put.

DZ

pbadad
06-12-2010, 09:22 AM
DZ, you won't be dissappointed. I added 7 xtras w/o a hitch. With a year under my belt w/these including my partner, I see no turning back.

tattoobob
06-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I would like to get some more info on these wear bars?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clogston29
06-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I was looking at those....did you get the studded kind? if so, how do you like em' ? When I blew up the picture on their site, it doesn't show the studs.

Thanks

Great for everything except bubbleweed. Perfect up on the northshore of ma. not so perfect for climbing rocks on cutty or Rhode island IMO.

flyben24
06-12-2010, 11:18 AM
dissapointed with the korkers ultra light... the trail sole starts to pop out during my hike out to where i fish and have to pry the sole back in after every night...

numbskull
06-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I would like to get some more info on these wear bars?
]

Wearbars.com - Product Details (http://www.wearbars.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=246)

Redsoxticket
06-12-2010, 11:56 AM
The replacing of folded and worn studs could lead to less secured mounted studs.
Anyone had to replace a stud to see if that is true.
The korker omnitrax soles with the replaceable carbides like the sandal spikes are hard to beat.
Just the cost alone is lower $35.00 for the soles and 40 spikes for $20. Also the spikes of the omnitrax are made to take multiple removals and replacements of studs.

tattoobob
06-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks George

basswipe
06-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Love my Cabelas Ultra Lites.Have had mine for several years now.I'm pretty anal about rinsing and drying.Just like anything else metal that I fish with the metal on these get a regular wipedown with a Marine Tuf-Cloth.

Gonna have to look into the newer version.

Btw the originals are on sale for $29!

Notaro
06-12-2010, 02:09 PM
i find them crappy. also they arent good for ppl who wade into the surf on the sand. they get filled up quickly.

tattoobob
06-22-2010, 08:29 PM
the only Cabela's Ultra lites I can find have felt soles, is this what's everyone is using?
could some one please point me in the right direction?

Thumper
06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
the only Cabela's Ultra lites I can find have felt soles, is this what's everyone is using?
could some one please point me in the right direction?

yes they are felt and have spots to screw in studs. they are the cabelas ultralight 2.

tattoobob
06-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Thank you

Tagger
06-22-2010, 09:19 PM
These Chota's from Cabela's are like slippers .. go on quick .. I think I'd opt for the snowmobile spikes on them though.. I got the hex head nuts ... there ok .