View Full Version : Stolen Canal Bike!!!

BigFish
06-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Please keep your eyes open for my canal bike in the pictures below. I woke at 3:00 am this morning, jumped in my truck as I always do to go fishing, drove almost to where I jump on Rt. 3 and I looked in the rear view mirror and noticed......my bike was gone! Some MF Scumbag took it right off my truck in my driveway......and he better hope I never find out who he is.....or his......ass.....is.....dead.....meat!!:af::af::af :

Anyway......odd thing is the thief must have been in a hurry as they fortunately did not steal my 2 fishing rods that were in the bed of my truck! So I am guessing this was just a quick hit for the bike and was not a "fishing related" theft. Should anybody see this bike, please notify the Hanover Police Dept. Please keep your eyes open on Craigslist or anywhere some scumbag might try to hock a bike for quick cash! Shame on me.....my cable lock was in the truck and not wrapped around the bike and the rack.....lesson learned!!!:fury: So off to buy another bike I guess. Not like I have the dough but I am not gonna sit around while there is fishing to do!!!

Bike is maroon and silver Diamondback model, typical wire basket setup with pvc tubes ......bike has a wooden skateboard deck mounted on the baskets. I don't think I will see it again. Who knows.

Zeno
06-10-2010, 03:52 AM
oh %$%$%$%$

BigFish
06-10-2010, 03:56 AM
I need Cutty bad "Z"!!!

niko
06-10-2010, 04:42 AM
that sucks. if you want to borrow mine give me a call

cableguy
06-10-2010, 05:19 AM
messed up.....

afterhours
06-10-2010, 05:21 AM
i pity the thief when you catch him :smash:. i HATE thiefs!

stiff tip
06-10-2010, 05:23 AM
sorry 2 hear that larry. kids in your area.lucky u didnt loose your rods

BigFish
06-10-2010, 05:26 AM
I am amazed I did not hear anything! Nights I am going fishing in the am I sleep on the couch.....windows were open and I am only 75 feet from the truck!!! Wish I had heard them.....I would have snuck around the house in the dark and smashed their knees with an iron bar....then called the cops!!!:fury::fury::fury::fury:

flyvice11787
06-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Damn thieves :fury:!! Sorry to hear about the bike Larry. I know how much work you put into it. Hope you catch the bastages.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish
06-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Just gonna have to buy another and rig it uP!:huh:

PRBuzz
06-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Sorry to hear that BigGuy....drive around the neighborhood as they may have dumped it on the side of the road after using to get across town/home last night....you could still luck out.

Slingah
06-10-2010, 05:43 AM
wow....that s*cks.....:fury:

afterhours
06-10-2010, 05:46 AM
throw up a few posters with pics where kids hang offering reward today- i'll put up the first $100. strike when the irons hot- you never know...

Hooligans
06-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Larry that BLOWS !

Sea Dangles
06-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Sounds like an inside job to me.

JohnR
06-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Sucks Larry - hope you get it back.

JackK
06-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Larry I have one that I rarely use that you're welcome to. She's not the prettiest girl at the dance but she'll show you a good time. By the end of the month I'll be giving it away anyway, so let me know if you want it.

PaulS
06-10-2010, 06:57 AM
That sucks, wait a few days b/f buying a new one. A lot of bikes are stolen b/c the guy needs to get somewhere. Hope you had the serial #.

MAKAI
06-10-2010, 06:58 AM
If you find them I will help you drill holes in their teeth.

Raven
06-10-2010, 07:13 AM
and there's this misconception that there's no JOBS available

i beg to differ

it's a matter of security.... and security devices
MOTION detectors ...
these can make lights flash red inside :point: the house

security camera's that bust people....
sure it's the big brother is watching scenario

but the days of not living in constant fear of being ripped off
are LONG GONE like many things after 9/11 are long gone.

Offshore24
06-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Sorry to hear that Larry. Hard to think stuff isn't safe in your own yard.

decksweeper
06-10-2010, 07:20 AM
that so SSSHHttyyyy.

bart
06-10-2010, 07:47 AM
sucks, Larry. I am also without a canal bike for the time being...

GattaFish
06-10-2010, 07:51 AM
bummer on the bike,,,, although I did think it was fitting that the DD was in the background of one pic,,,,

luds
06-10-2010, 07:55 AM
:realmad:

The Iceman 6
06-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Tough one to take. Hope you find it.

tattoobob
06-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Sorry for your loss Larry

eastendlu
06-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Wow that just bites sorry to read this Larry.

Pete F.
06-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Sorry for your loss, Junky looking bikes are much less of a target though. They can still be very functional and have lots of Mojo

tattoobob
06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I think a trike would be the best bike for the Canal

Old people love them

BigBo
06-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Wow! That blows Larry. Need anything from me? :fury::fury::fury:

tynan19
06-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Hope you get it back Larry!

BigFish
06-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah BB we need to make a kayak trip....that is if mine does not get stolen in the mean time!!!:fury::fury::fury:

BigFish
06-10-2010, 09:12 AM
So as I figured Homeowners Insurance has a $500 deductible!!! So I will have to pay for a new one out of pocket!! I will have that bikes twin inside of a week! I might spray bomb the f-in thing primer black so it does look like a piece of crap!!!:uhuh:

Thanks for the kind words and offers guys!:)

Rockport24
06-10-2010, 09:14 AM
man that sucks Larry, I think you should look around town a little though as others have mentioned cause it could just have been a kid looking for a ride somewhere ya know?

Still, we live in a effed up world I'll tell ya. I put my kayak on my car the night before I leave and last year I started putting a cable lock on it because I heard stories about people steeling wheels right off of cars in driveways! these lowlife scumbags will do friggin anything for a buck and they need to all die!

WoodyCT
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Thought and prayers coming your way.

Eric Roach
06-10-2010, 09:34 AM
That sucks, man. I hope yoiu get it back.

Squid kids Dad
06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
That sucks Larry..Whats worse is right out of your driveway..:fury::fury:

blue oyster
06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
can only hope the thief rides it into a large speeding truck .

american spirit
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
sorry to hear that. if you want i have 2 large bike frames, you can have one for free.

i learned from experience after having a 3K bike stolen right in front of my hospital. always make your bike look chitty if you plan on leaving if somewhere it could get robbed.

the skateboard rack really got my attention. that was sweat. hope you burn whoever stole it.

Saltheart
06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
That sucks. Nobody likes losing anything to thieves but something you worked on and customized and had big plans for is a much worse lose than say something you just bought and had stolen.

I hope you get it back.

Swimmer
06-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Geez chiming in a little late on this theft report. You probably allready have the other one on order, but my spare is yours. It held me up, it'll hold you up as well.

I get a lot less traffic on my street than you do, and I worry about that chit also.

stripermaineiac
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
That sucks Larry. Put some pics up along the Canal might help.I like the idea of cuttin off a theives hand,

BigFish
06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks Frank for the offer but I think I would crush your bike? I was having trouble with the one I had??? Of course I finally had all the bugs ironed out and it gets lifted!!!!:fury:

Tajue17
06-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm down there alot and I'll keep my eyes peeled.

MarshCappa
06-10-2010, 12:55 PM
WTF Larry! I'll keep an eye out for the loser. Sorry for your troubles. Probably a druggie needing quick cash. F-in loser!

STREETFIGHT
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
that blows Larry- i hope it turns up on the side of the road accross town.

stripercrazy
06-10-2010, 02:47 PM
that stinks did ya call the cops they my find it somewhere

vineyardblues
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Good luck Big Guy :fury:

Be easy on the fool

BigFish
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
First thing I did at 3:45 am was go to Police Station.

ProfessorM
06-10-2010, 03:49 PM
WTF, sorry

Backbeach Jake
06-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I can't believe the nerve of some people...I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. I hope the chain slips for them..

Mike P
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Listen guys---I said this on the other site and I'm going to repeat it here---while it's true that no one likes a thief, and that we're all on Larry's side, there is every chance that by the weekend the junkie/crack/pill head who stole it is going to sell it to an unsuspecting third party. Don't do anything stupid if you see the bike--the odds are that the guy on it bought it not knowing it was stolen. No one steals these things to keep--they're too identifiable. Like anything else that a smash and grab artist steals, it gets fenced, or peddled.

Slipknot
06-10-2010, 06:03 PM
sorry to hear that Larry

I agree with what Mike said:uhuh: you're just pissed right now. If you find it, call the cops.

I can't believe you left your rods out in the truck at night unlocked:hs:

I always bring my rods out when I am ready to leave, they are just too valuable to me.

Get a cheap yardsale bike or something, that's what I did and it has worked for me for 6 years going on 7, nobody is gonna steal it

BigFish
06-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys! I am upset my bike was taken but at this point if I saw someone on it all I would do is hold them and call the cops and let them handle it! I do not think I will see the bike again and am positive the thief stripped its identity aka the baskets and skateboard deck and pvc pipe so he could more easily unload it! I am already onto ordering another bike and will have it completely rigged like the other one the weekend I return from Cutty!:uhuh: A yardsale junker would not hold my weight plus my gears weight plus fish.....so rather than deal with any more headaches such as the bent rims I have had, the new bike will come with the HD rims and I will be good to go!:)

Trust me if I caught the guy in the act....well......lets just say he would be lucky to walk with a limp the rest of his life....if he could walk at all after I was through beating him within an inch of his miserable life!:):) Its gone baby gone! I have moved on!

I would like to again thank you all for your support, your kind words and your generous offers! See you on the Ditch a week from Monday!!!:uhuh:

JohnR
06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I posted this on the other thread but it may have been seen far east of the canal

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/classifieds/64357-canal-bike.html

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachments/classifieds/40228d1276213217-canal-bike-kim-bigfish2.jpg

BigFish
06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I love Midget Korean Dictator humor!:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

Goose
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Is there some kind of reward?:devil2:

Slingah
06-10-2010, 07:18 PM
if you forgot to strap it down and lost it on the highway...you can tell us...it's okay....:uhuh:

MAKAI
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
John R.
I thought I had issues.....

PRBuzz
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Is there some kind of reward?:devil2:

I'm figuring when it hits about $250 I'll get the bike out of my garage........post pictures on Craiglist list L&F
:rotf2:

Mike P
06-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys! I am upset my bike was taken but at this point if I saw someone on it all I would do is hold them and call the cops and let them handle it! I do not think I will see the bike again and am positive the thief stripped its identity aka the baskets and skateboard deck and pvc pipe so he could more easily unload it! I am already onto ordering another bike and will have it completely rigged like the other one the weekend I return from Cutty!:uhuh: A yardsale junker would not hold my weight plus my gears weight plus fish.....so rather than deal with any more headaches such as the bent rims I have had, the new bike will come with the HD rims and I will be good to go!:)

Trust me if I caught the guy in the act....well......lets just say he would be lucky to walk with a limp the rest of his life....if he could walk at all after I was through beating him within an inch of his miserable life!:):) Its gone baby gone! I have moved on!

I would like to again thank you all for your support, your kind words and your generous offers! See you on the Ditch a week from Monday!!!:uhuh:

There's two problems with holding the guy for the cops, Larry. First and foremost--you can't do it legally. You can't detain someone for the police in Mass or make a "citizen's arrest" for a property crime. Even if the value of the bike is more than $250. The guy can pedal away and there isn't anything you can legally do to stop him. He isn't in the act of stealing your bike, and you don't know whether he's the guy who stole it.

Secondly, the police have no probable cause to arrest him for anything, even if you can ID it positively as your bike. You can't prove he was the thief, and you can't even prove that he knowingly received stolen property. The Bourne Police Department will not arrest him based on that, and they may not even be willing to order him to return it to you. I don't think that they have that legal authority. You have no proof of ownership--can you prove that it is the exact bike you owned and not just one that looks identical?

Don't throw good money after bad by getting yourself into a legal scrape that will force you to hire a lawyer.

When you get your new bike, have your name, address and phone number etched onto the frame somewhere where it's not readily visible. This will allow you to prove ownership down the road if someone steals it and you see it being ridden somewhere. Some police departments do this, and most bike shops will do it.

piemma
06-11-2010, 04:14 AM
Larry if there is a reward being posted I'm with Afterhours and I'll kick in a $50

UserRemoved1
06-11-2010, 04:22 AM
HAHA! POW :rotf2:

if you forgot to strap it down and lost it on the highway...you can tell us...it's okay....:uhuh:

Raven
06-11-2010, 05:01 AM
i asked my former neighborhood friendly police officer all those questions!!!

can i detain someone if i catch them in the act. NO
you mean you cannot make a citizen's arrest until you get here? NO

well, i can certainly take his picture with my Camera? i said.
yes but that will not prove anything he said.........

I was totally AMAZED at how much leeway the thief gets....
and how little you can legally do when Catching them in the act.

`
so yes identification is the key ,,,
so make a couple of wooden dowel message holding plugs
and insert them into the handle bars.

Etch Bigfish all over the damn thing....LOL

JohnR
06-11-2010, 07:11 AM
shows up in the darndest places

BigFish
06-11-2010, 08:05 AM
BF go Cutty!!! (To be spoken like ET when he says..."ET go Hoommme"!:jump1:

Rockport24
06-11-2010, 09:04 AM
shows up in the darndest places

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!! :rotf2::rotf2: that is funny chit John!

MAKAI
06-11-2010, 09:51 AM
So if I may extrapolate to our members familiar with law. You come home from work and find some punk raping your daughter. Are we supposed to call the police and wait until he is through ? Or do we cowboy up ? Seems our laws are for the protection of the perp and not the victim.
We are not what we once were. When did America become so lame ?
Are we not now just an irrelevant debating society ?

I will not be meekly shepherded to the left.

JohnR
06-11-2010, 10:09 AM
So if I may extrapolate to our members familiar with law. You come home from work and find some punk raping your daughter. Are we supposed to call the police and wait until he is through ? Or do we cowboy up ? Seems our laws are for the protection of the perp and not the victim.

I would beat up first and answer questions later (probably followed up with my one allowed call to Mike).

FishermanTim
06-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Or better yet, what if I go and steal something, ANYTHING and the owner tried to detain me. Since it is illegal for them to do this, the item is now mine and I can sue them for violating my civil rights.
That's freaking ridiculous!

If I can prove that the item someone else has is inded MY item, (I will be able to prove it) then I'm taking it back right then and there. It the person that had it wants to call the police then they will be the victim now, and will be the one who with no rights.

I guess this would be a case where 2 wrongs DO make a right, based on our idiotic legal system.

This may be a bit extreme, but in our current decline in civilization, it helps make a point.

JohnR
06-11-2010, 10:19 AM
darndest places...

BigFish
06-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I hear extrapolating can cause premature blindness so....go easy!:jump1:

BigFish
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
$2.......more like $400.00....just ordered my new bike!! Be here when I get back from Cuttyhunk!!!! Grass does not grow under my feet!:uhuh:

Rockport24
06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Mike said you can't make a citizens arrest for a "property crime" a crime like a rape I'm sure you are allowed to effin kill the bastard and the police would look the other way kind of like Kevin Bacon did for Sean Penn in Mystic River

MAKAI
06-11-2010, 01:16 PM
I hear extrapolating can cause premature blindness so....go easy!:jump1:

You have to wear sunglasses, then you should be OK.
I think all the Laker( Am I on camera now ? ) celebs do it all the time.

RIROCKHOUND
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I solved this problem with my local access bike by buying a pos 5.00 bike at a yard sale and fixing it up. if someone actually stole it I could give a crap, I'm out 10.00 (counting the milkcrate and pvc)

hardbait
06-11-2010, 02:05 PM
hold off a day or two.if they didnt touch you r rods i bet someone was walking by and wanted a faster way home. sorry to hear about the bike. maybe cutty will make up for it.

FishermanTim
06-11-2010, 02:51 PM
darndest places...

That's a good one!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thanks for the laugh!

Adam_777
06-11-2010, 03:02 PM
So if you see your bike just steal it back.They won't be able to prove you stole it.

Green Light
06-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I am sorry Larry. I know what that feels like.
I had two bikes stolen on me..and both times I found them very close by.
Both times, inside jobs.

Are there any webcams that point to the canal? May be there is a video "object recognition" program.

I hope you find you bike. The best of luck.

hardbait
06-11-2010, 09:47 PM
LARRY SEE IF YOU CAN GET A DUALLY REAREND ON YOUR NEW BIKE.

Swimmer
06-12-2010, 09:12 AM
There's two problems with holding the guy for the cops, Larry. First and foremost--you can't do it legally. You can't detain someone for the police in Mass or make a "citizen's arrest" for a property crime. Even if the value of the bike is more than $250. The guy can pedal away and there isn't anything you can legally do to stop him. He isn't in the act of stealing your bike, and you don't know whether he's the guy who stole it.

Secondly, the police have no probable cause to arrest him for anything, even if you can ID it positively as your bike. You can't prove he was the thief, and you can't even prove that he knowingly received stolen property. The Bourne Police Department will not arrest him based on that, and they may not even be willing to order him to return it to you. I don't think that they have that legal authority. You have no proof of ownership--can you prove that it is the exact bike you owned and not just one that looks identical?

Don't throw good money after bad by getting yourself into a legal scrape that will force you to hire a lawyer.

When you get your new bike, have your name, address and phone number etched onto the frame somewhere where it's not readily visible. This will allow you to prove ownership down the road if someone steals it and you see it being ridden somewhere. Some police departments do this, and most bike shops will do it.

Being in possession of recently stolen property, is in fact receiving stolen property, a felony if its over $250.00. They may not arrest him/her but they would be remiss in their duties if they don't take the bike and give you a day or so to bring in the receipt with the serial numbers on it to prove its yours. Police don't need a warrant to arrest someone for a felony. If the person who has the bike isn't forthcoming about who he bought it from then he could be summons into a court. This is fairly common. I wouldn't let anyone ride off on it if I was sure its mine. You don't have to touch the person, just hold onto the bike until you or someone can summons the authorities. MikeP I have never disagreed with you before with your post, but I do with some of the above.

ThrowingTimber
06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Did they get the my little pony collection you keep in the basket too? How about the pelican? Sucks Larry sorry for your loss. If someone took my bike they'd bust their ass! Things a death trap!

Redsoxticket
06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Larry setup the steering like that of the bike at the Barnstable fair.
For those that don't know the bike turns in the opposite direction of which you intend to steer it.

ProfessorM
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Come on Slingha , give the big galoot his bike back.

Slingah
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Come on Slingha , give the big galoot his bike back.

Joe has it not me.....
I'm jUnK.......:smash:

ProfessorM
06-14-2010, 06:24 PM
me too, daughter just dragged me out for a bike ride:sleeps:

vineyardblues
06-14-2010, 06:59 PM
My money is on his wife :grins:
She return it when he gets a job :biglaugh:

surfkaster
06-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Larry,
I would totally try a setup...I would do the same exact thing with your new bike, but this time be hiding somewhere waiting. The satisfaction in my mind would be worth it. I think it would work too, might take a few times but...
As far as Mass law goes, I love this land...but our laws are too liberal, and other than the fact that it pays the bills I could never swear to an oath that would protect a scumbag! Call me a hick but where I come from if someone does something wrong they pay.

Here is a funny little trespassing story for you guys. When I was a school boy (in the 80's) we had this little old lady that lived in a turqoius green trailer. And as we would roam the neighborhood on our bikes just doing things kids do, (back then) not (nowadays), if we would cut across her lawn, she would stick her barrel of her salt shotgun out the window and take shots at us!!! I got hit once and let me tell you it stings like a sun of a @#$%$! It came to the point where we would do it on purpose just to see if she could hit us...lol
Anyways, she never got in trouble and we didn't cut her lawn any more...that's how things were back then, and I wish some things were still the same.
What can ya say, I guess that person will just get there's one day, what goes around comes around!

maddmatt
06-15-2010, 09:33 AM

thats why its called the "criminal" justice system.

victims get screwed.

BassDawg
06-15-2010, 09:51 AM
what's the BIG hub-bub??

who needs a Canal bike,
iffin ya know where to park???
:bl: :bl: :bl: :bl:

sorry about THAT, bro~~
you'll see it someday or another.

just don't do something that will get YOU
tossed into the hoosecow!! not worth the aggravation, imho.
GLAD to hear you've replaced yer Canal Cruiser, gl with this one!