View Full Version : Got boarded today.

Mr. Sandman
06-11-2010, 05:40 PM
While #^&#^&#^&#^&ing with my autopilot trying to get the boat to run true I put it into a learn mode and it took control of my boat for a couple minutes while it figures out a few parameters. It turns and recovers and turns and recovers. I was zigging and zagging all over Nantucket sound today. The orange USCG (out of woods hole)flew by me circled around turned on the lue flashing light and approched me...and asked if I was ever boared...No, I replied. "Permission to come aboard" they said... Permission granted, come aboard." Do you have any guns, ammo, explosives, weapons on board." No, I said. Any illegal drugs. No, I said.
We would like to do a safety inspection...
go right ahead I said.

15-20 mins later after showing them what they asked for (they asked for everything and looked closely at it, Dates on flares, fire extinguishers, raft, epirbs, pfd's, placards, ID's, registration, looked in the engine compartment (which I keep spotless and when they asked me to open it one of the guys said..." that looks good"!

In all they said everything looked great and if I every get approached by the CG again to show them this (a yellow form they filled out) and for me to keep this with my records.

My wife was on board and she said...you didn't seem worried that they boarded you..that is because I knew exactly what they want to see and where they want to see it. (Thanks in a big way to SMAC who set me straight last winter...thanks Scott!)

Back to zigging and zagging.

numbskull
06-11-2010, 06:13 PM
So how do you like the boat. Have you fished it yet?

MarshCappa
06-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Did they give you the bill for the inspection. I mean that would be fair seeing you dragged them out to your location because of your eratic manuvers that only you were aware of! LMAO!:rotf2: Just busting your chops from the Abby thread dude!

Nebe
06-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Did they give you the bill for the inspection. I mean that would be fair seeing you dragged them out to your location because of your eratic manuvers that only you were aware of! LMAO!:rotf2: Just busting your chops from the Abby thread dude!

:rotfl: i was going to post the same thing.. :hihi:

Slipknot
06-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Safety first :)

Mr. Sandman
06-12-2010, 06:16 AM
That USCG RIB boat they can make it to OB from woods hole in about 5 min. (that is a cool boat with the heavy duty Aluminum pilothouse and Kevlar wrapped (looks bulletproof) air chambers...I like the gun mount on the front too) Actually, I asked them what they were doing here. They said they hang out at Oak Bluffs because it is a "target rich" environment this time of year with all the bars/nightlife right on the harbor. You get a mix of alcohol and boating and they patrol near the OB ferry and look for odd behavior. (according the the folks at west marine, they said they are selling a ton of safety gear as the CG is boarding a lot of boats and writing a lot of tickets. He said someone had a ticket for lack of safety gear for $1100 !) There are a lot of folks out here that have so little safety gear or gear in such poor shape that it is worthless. I am glad to see the CG boarding boats. I don't expect to get hassled after they see me a few times and recognize me, I have a fairly unique look.

As far as the boat goes...yeah its real nice. It is nice to be dry all the time now, I feel spoiled but miss the wind in my face on a nice day.( have to walk outside to feel the wind now) I am still working out a few kinks but I am making good progress. I need to change impellers and thermostats this AM and hope to make a another shakedown run to cutty today and if all goes well will load the boat with fishing gear on Monday and will hit crab ledge late next week if the weather is halfway decent in search of Charlie. In the mean time I have been surf casting in the evenings (which BTW has been great this past week!)

Van
06-12-2010, 07:44 AM
"Permission to come aboard" Do you have any guns, ammo, explosives, weapons on board." Any illegal drugs?

I've always joked about answearing....

WHY,,,WHAT DO YOU NEED ???

Probably wouldn't go over well though :biglaugh::biglaugh:

FishermanTim
06-14-2010, 11:07 AM
I've always joked about answearing....

WHY,,,WHAT DO YOU NEED ???

Probably wouldn't go over well though :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Or "Why, do you have any?"

Then that would just open up a can of worms......

Kind of like a friend of mine, back in the early 90's, was going through airport security checkpoint, and when asked if he would show them his camera gear (he had good gear) he says, and I kid you not, "Why, do you think I've got a bomb in here or something?"
Me and our other friends just stood there in shock as the officer smartly informed my friend that they could easily take him away and lock him up for that kind of comment (pre-9-11).
He was let through, but we gave him the 3rd degree stating that if they arrested him, he was on his own as we were going to Florida with or without him.

That's why I will "bite my tongue" when I have a smart-a$$es comment, so I don't open my mouth and put my foot in it!

JohnnyD
06-14-2010, 12:15 PM
That's why I will "bite my tongue" when I have a smart-a$$es comment, so I don't open my mouth and put my foot in it!

From me, it's nothing but "Yes sir" "No sir" and polite, considerate questions and answers to any person that could easily screw up my day, wallet or freedom if they wanted to.

Fish On
06-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Glad to hear it all went well Jim. I was boarded outside the Merrimack River in 2006. I was just drifting with my girlfriend and a fishing rod. Sounds like the exact same official approach and request to board. They dropped off two inspectors and the boat circled around for a few minues while they did their inspection. It was yes sir, no sir while they checked absolutely everything. One comment they gave was that I had kept my expired flares along with the new ones that I had bought. I told them I figured it was better to keep them than to throw them away and they agreed and it was no problem as long as I had "Current" flares on board. They complimented me on having backup radio, backup horn, and a fully equiped ditch bag. They especially liked my laminated, single page, emergency procedures list. It was nice to get their seal of approval. They were pretty nice about the whole things and ended the boarding with the same instructions on the yellow card about having been boarded.

Typhoon
06-15-2010, 07:08 AM
I get boarded at least twice a year. They boat sits off Green Harbor.

They are always very professional.

Saltheart
06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Had my boat 23 years and was never boarded. Go figure? Boat was always in compliance with safety gear above the minumum requirements. But anyway , never approached or boarded , not even when they were sitting at harbor entrances just grabbing people. I guess the boat looked ship shape and had all the exterior type gear. They probably do a lot more simply random stuff now after 911.

RIJIMMY
06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
gentlemen - I "think" I have everything but is there an offical list of required gear?

fishbones
06-16-2010, 11:54 AM
gentlemen - I "think" I have everything but is there an offical list of required gear?

We keep a list of required gear in the console. I'm not sure where my dad got it from, though.

The federal list is here: FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL BOATS (http://nyss.com/federal.html)

You also should check RI to see if there are any state requirements that differ from the federal ones. I last had my boat in RI 6 years ago.

RIJIMMY
06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I know I dont have this!

FCC Regulations
The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) requires a Ship Station License for all vessels equipped with marine VHF radios )Not CB), EPIRB, Radar, single sideband radios, plus some other telecommunication equipment. Coast Guard boarding officers, in cooperation with the FCC, will issue citations if the station license is not on board the vessel.
A license application (Form 506) can be obtained from any office of the FCC. There is a fee for the license.

A Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit may by required if you intend to visit foreign ports or communicate

beamie
06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
That list looks a little old.....the FCC license is no longer required for the ship station vhf radio. Also there is no longer the $5000 limit on the oil pollution, now there is no limit. Ask BP.

RIJIMMY
06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
this may be more current

Deprecated Browser Error (http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/federal_regulations.aspx)

Fish On
06-16-2010, 10:20 PM
This is a single page, two sided, laminated safety list that I review with anyone on my boat for the first time. Those that know me know I'm a bit anal, but it makes me feel better. I usually explain that I want them to understand the information in case I get hit in the head by a high flyer or something and get knocked unconscious. Anyway, hope you find it beneficial.

Emergency Procedures, Equipment List and Safety Information

Attention:
If you cannot swim you must wear a life jacket at all times while on board.

Fire:
Fire extinguisher located on driver’s side in compartment beneath throttle-Expiration Date:

Emergency (grave/imminent danger threatens life or property, immediate help required):
Using Fixed mount VHF Radio send Mayday Distress Call:
1) Turn power knob all the way to the right.
2) Adjust to emergency channel 16.
3) Press “mark” on GPS unit to display latitude and longitude of current position.
4) Press button on microphone and speak slowly and clearly:
A) Mayday…Mayday…Mayday
B) This is fishing vessel Current Plans…Current Plans…Current Plans
C) Mayday Current Plans Position is xx.xx North Latitude by xx.xx West Longitude
D) We (nature of emergency)
E) We require (type of assistance)
F) On board are (number of adults and number of children)
G) Current Plans is a 22 foot walk-around cuddy with a white hull and hard top.
H) I will be listening on Channel 16
I) This is Current Plans…over
J) Repeat Until Heard

Abandoning Ship:
1) Put on Life Preserver if not already on.
2) Send Mayday Transmission
3) Grab ditch bag and take with you. (located in cuddy center compartment with life raft)
4) Inflate life raft, pump on board vessel if time (electric pump in starboard storage locker in cuddy), manually inflate in water if required.

Ditch Bag Contents:
1) Hand-held VHF radio (with manual)
2) Flare Gun and 10 Flares
3) 3 Hand Held Flares
4) 3 Emergency Beacons (attach to life preserver, turn cap to right)
5) Air Horn
6) Signaling Mirror
7) Signaling Whistle
8) Inflatable Emergency SOS Flag
9) Waterproof Flashlight
10) Fresh water (3-24 oz bottles)
11) First aid Kit
12) Duct Tape
13) Spare AA Batteries (16) (fit all electronic devices included)
14) 5 ziplock bags

(over)
Non-Life Threatening Emergency or Other Assistance Required:
Boat US Assistance:
Member number-xxxxxxxx
Radio- CH 16 hail boat US (if no response hail coast guard as liaison)
Telephone- 1 (800) 391-4869
Request assistance, ask cost before confirming a particular source, normal is $150/hour

Notify Boat US or Coast Guard when experiencing a situation even if not serious, before it turns into an emergency.

Other Safety Equipment:
-(3) Type I Life Preservers (walls of cuddy)
-(5) Type II Life Preservers (walls of cuddy)
-(1) Type IV Throwable Life Preserver (walls of cuddy)
-Safety Tether (in cuddy chest)
-(2) Automatic Bilge Pumps
-Manual Bilge Pump (starboard storage locker in cuddy)
-wooden plugs for through hull fittings (starboard storage locker in cuddy)
-(2) 100 foot coils of spare rope (starboard storage locker in cuddy)
-Sea Anchor (starboard storage locker in cuddy)

Cautions On Board:
-Using walk around to bow-always have at least one hand holding onto the boat.
-In rough conditions keep center of gravity low and grasp hand holds when moving anywhere about the boat. “One hand for yourself and one for the Boat”
-All shoes must have non-skid soles

Assistance/Contacts:

Boat US:
Member # xxxxxxxx
Membership Expires xxxxxx
$50 emergency service coverage
(800) 391-4869 Liberty Mutual Coverage:
$400 emergency service coverage with $50 deductable
Physical damage boat and/or trailer $250 deductable
Liability $300 K Liberty Mutual Coverage (cont):
While towing $100-$300 liability coverage from Chevy Avalanche

Coast Guard Merrimack Station
978 465 0731
Hail Ch 16 Newburyport Harbormaster:
Monitors channel 12
978 462 3746
Hail dockmaster to check dock availability Vineyard Shipyard
(508) 693-0400
VHF 73
Edgartown Office (in season only) (508) 627-3889
Hydra-Sports Sarasota, Florida
941 751 7831
941 753 7811 #^&#^&#^&#^&’s Bait and Tackle Oak Bluffs
508 693 7669 East Chop Harborfront Appts
Johnson Outboards
847 689 7090 Champlin’s Block Island
401 466 7777 Payne’s Dock Block Island
401 466 5572
Fay’s Boat Yard
Gilford NH
603 293 8000 Humminbird
334 687 0503
Oak Bluffs Harbor
508 693 4355

beamie
06-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Fish On,

Yeah, just a bit anal.....

Seriously though, I think its great that you took the time to print that and laminate it. Esp. if someting ever happened to YOU. Nice job.

Safety contious I am, but I don't think I'd ever have the will for that.

Mr. Sandman
06-23-2010, 09:20 AM
FishOn,

Nice list, and well thought out procedures. Most Rec boaters are way too casual. Anal is OK with me. (When I go on others boats, I take my own bag and in it is my own personal kit and PFD. I just don't want to rely on someone else to save my life.)

The truth is the CG does not mandate everything you really need. You have to assemble your own safety list based on what you do on the water. The CG has a minimum list but they would like to see a lot more. For example, you don't need a first aid kit...is it wise to keep an appropriate size first aid kit on board? You don't have to have an epirb. But for a cost of 300 is is worth it to put a personal epirb on your boat? you-betcha. They require a type III pfd but if you were going in the water would you rather have a type I on? (I would)

Typhoon
06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
there is a license for having an EPIRB?

Mr. Sandman
06-23-2010, 09:53 AM
no. You must register it and check it every two years. This can be done online and is aimed at keeping the info on there current. (as it comes up on their screen should the eprib go off, (name, boat, contact info, etc)

Swimmer
06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
A few years ago I was coming into the inner harbor on my brother-in-laws Parker. A CG skiff that has the rubber floaties around the gunnel came along side. This hollywood type with the aviators on was hanging off of the skiff staring at my sister-in-law and her friend. The grabbed a couple of towels and covered up the suits they had on. The staring lasted for a good five minutes. I finally leaned over and stared back at the guy. I asked him if their was a problem. He doesn't say anything and they veer off and went back to the outer harbor. It was extremely rude. I figure they were weekenders and not full-time coasties. My sister-in-law is very attractive but what occurred was unacceptable. My brother-in-law couldn't believe I said anything to Mr. Hollywood.