View Full Version : World Cup

MarshCappa
06-11-2010, 09:06 PM
OK who's going to watch this football tourney in South Africa called the World Cup? I think the Pats have as good a chance as anybody as long as Brady stays healthy and the D can put some pressure on the opposing QB...........Oh wait a minute it's the "OTHER FOOTBALL"!!!

Seriously though I'll watch some of the matches and will follow the U.S. but I'm not a huge fan. I crack up at all the drama of getting kicked in the shins and rolling around in pain and then 5 minutes later they are running full speed down the field. Some of them even get carried off on stretchers and are back a minute later like nothing happened! :biglaugh: It's a whiners sport in my opinion but I do watch some of the matches from time to time just to stay cultured I guess. So who else is going to admit to watching the foooze ball?

spence
06-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Start watching and you'll get hooked.

Tomorrow is USA vs England...has the potential to be epic for an early match.

-spence

mosholu
06-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Having Irish parents and having lived in England for 11 years I have the same reaction to American football as you do to soccer. They get up and they fall down and the process is repeated over the course of four hours as there are continuing breaks to bring in the guy who only plays when there is a third down and the wind is blowing out of the east.

In any event this US team has a decent chance to make it in to the second round if they can draw to with England tomorrow. The great thing about this world cup is that there is no clear favorite and the competition is really open. Watch some of the games with the quality attacking teams like Brazil, Spain or the Netherlands and you may be surprised about how much you like it.

cableguy
06-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Cant wait to start watching it....I have to work on Sat, so I am going to DVR the US-England match and hope I dont find out about it till I get home...This should be a great World Cup...

Goose
06-12-2010, 06:16 AM
luv it , soccer is the balls

MarshCappa
06-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Having Irish parents and having lived in England for 11 years I have the same reaction to American football as you do to soccer. They get up and they fall down and the process is repeated over the course of four hours as there are continuing breaks to bring in the guy who only plays when there is a third down and the wind is blowing out of the east.

In any event this US team has a decent chance to make it in to the second round if they can draw to with England tomorrow. The great thing about this world cup is that there is no clear favorite and the competition is really open. Watch some of the games with the quality attacking teams like Brazil, Spain or the Netherlands and you may be surprised about how much you like it.

Come on man there's more real collisions on one play in American football than a whole soccer match. And if an American football player is hurt it's real and not some drama. If a stretcher comes out on an NFL field the stadium is silent and it's usually very serious.

Get real man, soccer is big around the world but it's a little on the panzy side for me. LOL:rotf2: Just kidding around a little sorry. Those guys are good athletes with lots of talent obviously.

Clogston29
06-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Keep in mind that there are no stoppages or timeouts. That's part of why they stay down for a while, its kind of an unofficial break. And anyone who watches the NBA has no right to complain about diving. Even the NFL is having issues with receivers diving looking for calls

Argentina game is enteraining right now. Lots of good offensive players. Not completely playing as a unit yet. I really like tevez. Tough bastard.

Really hope John harkes doent ruin all the us games for me. He sucks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

mosholu
06-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Marsh,
Nobody can take away from the fact that they are great athletes and there are some seriously heavy hits. Of course when you are covered in that much padding with a layer of plastic over on top and amped up on god knows what it is easy to throw yourself at people. QBs do not call their own game as the plays are sent in by radio from a guy on the roof and the majority of critical scoring plays are attempted by some failed little soccer player. No wonder the rest of the world can not watch it (canadians aside).
If you had an offensive and defensive team and once you are subbed for you are out of the game you may have a decent sport come out of it after a couple of years. It would kind of be like rugby.

For World Cup fans - Nigeria was really poor and in the second half were more worried about conceding a second goal than trying to get a point.

MarshCappa
06-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Marsh,
Nobody can take away from the fact that they are great athletes and there are some seriously heavy hits. Of course when you are covered in that much padding with a layer of plastic over on top and amped up on god knows what it is easy to throw yourself at people. QBs do not call their own game as the plays are sent in by radio from a guy on the roof and the majority of critical scoring plays are attempted by some failed little soccer player. No wonder the rest of the world can not watch it (canadians aside).
If you had an offensive and defensive team and once you are subbed for you are out of the game you may have a decent sport come out of it after a couple of years. It would kind of be like rugby.

For World Cup fans - Nigeria was really poor and in the second half were more worried about conceding a second goal than trying to get a point.

Dude don't even go there. Some of my friends in high school openly admitted they played soccer because they were afraid of getting hit in football. Completely different game so you can't even say soccer players are tougher than football players. I'll give them the stamina thing cuz the game keeps moving but take a look off the ball and they stand around or jog. They would pee their pants if they had to line up for a play in the NFL or they would do what they do best and fake an injury to stop play.

Enjoy your sport, it's pretty good to watch and I do like the rival countries playing eachother. But don't try and argue the toughness thing, it's not even comparable.

numbskull
06-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I wish the effing color commentators would shut up. The American ones are intolerable, and this british guy is a moron. Clueless. And way too much talking, even from Adrian Healy who ought to know better. Do they think people tune in to hear them? So annoying.

This subliminal FIFA logo everytime they switch a camera shot is sad, as well.

S Korea vs Argentina is looking like it will be a super game.

These horns are killing me already...it must be brutal in the stadiums.

Missed France/Uruguay....heard it was awful. That group will be dull. Mexico looked comically weak in the back. At least the Dos Santos dude was fun to watch.

Hard to think of anyone in the NFL who has anything near the athletic talent of someone like Messi.

numbskull
06-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Dude don't even go there.

Enjoy your sport, it's pretty good to watch and I do like the rival countries playing eachother. But don't try and argue the toughness thing, it's not even comparable.

And Rugby players ridicule how soft the NFL is.

Soccer reflects life, the NFL reflects battle (with a lot of padding, time to rest, and all kinds of rules).

boot man
06-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Love to watch both sports. Never really feel the need to bash what others like, other than criminal behavior or inattentive indifferent parents.

Go USA!

mosholu
06-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Dude don't even go there. Some of my friends in high school openly admitted they played soccer because they were afraid of getting hit in football. Completely different game so you can't even say soccer players are tougher than football players. I'll give them the stamina thing cuz the game keeps moving but take a look off the ball and they stand around or jog. They would pee their pants if they had to line up for a play in the NFL or they would do what they do best and fake an injury to stop play.

Was not trying to argue a toughness point because it is kind of apples and oranges. My point was that I think the human aspect of sport is getting a little lost in football with all the specialization and coaching. The fact that the average NFL career is less than six years says it all about the toughness required and the damage taken. I would be interested to know which you think would be tougher NFL or NHL?
On the rugby point I think any NFL linebacker or DB would be an awesome force on a rugby field and I generally would say you get more speed, skill and size in the LBs and DBs than what you have in international rugby.

Numbskull - I think the commentators have been told to keep talking for the benefit of the US audience on the assumption that they are new to football. I totally agree on the horns if they were sitting around you it would drive you mad.

MarshCappa
06-12-2010, 02:43 PM
The NHL is probably the toughest league or hockey in general could be the toughest sport. To tough to call for me. Rugby is also a madman's gams. I played a little rugby in college club leagues and was really impressed how much toughness and stamina you needed. Rugby players are an insane bunch for sure. I loved the after party's! Keg stands anyone?

1-1 against England at the half. Cheese goal for the U.S. Good match so far. I'm watching and will continue to watch. Sorry if I was a little heavy handed and got carried away on the whole toughness thing. You're right it's apples and oranges. Different game, rules, etc. These guys are world class for sure.

mosholu
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
No offense taken, just having some fun shooting the breeze.
USA was gifted that goal at the end of the first half but in the second I thought did a great job shutting England down and had the better of the play. Dempsey and the fullback no. 6 had great games. If your English you have to be worried about their lack of speed in defense. If your the US everything looks good except maybe the strikers who did not really produce much. I think the US will go through.
I would have to give the edge to the NHL just based upon the number of games they play in a season counting the playoffs that is a lot of punishment.

ProfessorM
06-12-2010, 04:40 PM
those friggin horns make it feel like watching it in a bee hive. Still can't seem to get into it, I tried for a few minutes and I fell asleep but that was what I was trying to do. I'll try again .

numbskull
06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
England looked awful. Their failure to rally around their keeper after that horrible gaffe suggests they lack the team unity to win this thing.
Their lack of a defensive midfield player looked like a major coaching error during our comeback.

The US looked promising when behind, but their decision to sit in and play not to lose in the second half was discouraging. This game was winnable. Our defense was more lucky than good. Some good individual play, but with sloppy organization that left horrific central gaps which England fortunately failed to exploit. Offensively we show a lot of promise. Too bad Davies is gone, and Torres is sitting.

As nice as this tie feels, we will still likely need at least a win and a draw in the remaining games to advance. Not a done deal since we often struggle to beat teams we should crush, and sloppy defense often yields cheap goals that could burn us yet.

Karl F
06-12-2010, 09:53 PM
England looked awful. Their failure to rally around their keeper after that horrible gaffe suggests they lack the team unity to win this thing.
Their lack of a defensive midfield player looked like a major coaching error during our comeback.

The US looked promising when behind, but their decision to sit in and play not to lose in the second half was discouraging. This game was winnable. Our defense was more lucky than good. Some good individual play, but with sloppy organization that left horrific central gaps which England fortunately failed to exploit. Offensively we show a lot of promise. Too bad Davies is gone, and Torres is sitting.

As nice as this tie feels, we will still likely need at least a win and a draw in the remaining games to advance. Not a done deal since we often struggle to beat teams we should crush, and sloppy defense often yields cheap goals that could burn us yet.

spot on analysis... you should be doing the booth work for the games instead of the drivel that ABC fed us. you know the game for certain.

the vuvuzela (fans horns)...is annoying.. but part of soccer worldwide, and is even showing up in US play, I have noticed of late.

Karl F
06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
those friggin horns make it feel like watching it in a bee hive. Still can't seem to get into it, I tried for a few minutes and I fell asleep but that was what I was trying to do. I'll try again .

Paul!!..just imagine what fun that Frank would have with the vuvuzela's...

Clogston29
06-13-2010, 12:05 PM
England just isn't elite. Neither is the us. England has some better players, but neither team is a real contender in this thing. both teams will likely advance and maybe win one elimination game.

I am a fan of England and would like to see them do well. It amazes me that they cannot produce a world class keeper or a compliment to Rooney up front. They win that game easy yesterday if Rooney had someone to work with up front. Kraus has no business in the world cup. If the outside midfielders are gonna play like that, give Joe Cole a shot. It was nice to see write-Phillips get in there.

ProfessorM
06-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Paul!!..just imagine what fun that Frank would have with the vuvuzela's...

LOL. :uhuh:

if am too watch this stuff i am going to have to turn down the sound. That relentless noise is worse than what I hear at work.

PRBuzz
06-13-2010, 01:01 PM

BOSE (or other brand) background noise reducing headphones.....if they can block out a jet engine they should work wonders for the bee hive.

From BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Clogston29
06-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Fifa president is considering banning the horns for rest of cup

Clogston29
06-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Very precise, entertaining play from Germany.

numbskull
06-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Ouch! We don't want to meet Germany in the next round. That was a good team hitting on all cylinders. Scary. We are going to need to score some serious goals and win both of the next games to finish first in our group.

cableguy
06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Germany was excellent today....they are going to be tough if they continue that level of play.....I thought the US could have won that game, a gift of a goal, but I felt they had some decent chances...

The horns have to go....it is killing the feel of world play...I want to hear chants and singing.....not buzzing the whole game

Clogston29
06-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Argentina offense is fun to watch. Messi is really finding is form. Have I mentioned that I love tevez. Defense is a bit shady.

I think Spain will bounce back. They looked better when Torres was subed in. give him a game or two to get back into it - been hurt a while.

Germany Brazil Argentina Spain look to be the class to me. Uruguay could surprise as well. Uruguay. Mexico should be a good one. I don't trust the Dutch.

luds
06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't trust the Dutch.

why....roids again?

Clogston29
06-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Lack of roids. And lack of bergkamp.

MarshCappa
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
US looks great!:wall::yak5:

MarshCappa
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
2-2.....oh and here comes the stretcher and medical team for the slovakian with hurt feelings. I hope he lives.

mosholu
06-18-2010, 03:32 PM
US looked good in the second half but they still need to have more production form their strikers. The defense, especially no. 5 looks very shakey at times but they have shown they have the fight which is a lot more than I can say for England. Absolutely terrible performance! The midfield is again way too high in the other team's zone and looking uncomfortable on the ball. They seem to lack any plan for getting the ball in the box and set plays which should be a strength have found them sorely lacking. They will get hammered in the press which will only add to their pressures. US has a very good chance of going through with a win vs. Algeria who do not really look like they can play like they did this afternoon twice on the trot.

Clogston29
06-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Does anybody still think that a draw with England was a good result?

Loved watching nz draw Italy today. Italy will probably still advance, but it would make the world cup for me if neither France or Italy advance.

mosholu
06-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Yes, because it was the first game of the cup and they were playing the pre-cup favorite from their group. Other than one shot in the second half the US really did not produce much on the offense so to come out of it with a draw by way of a gift goal I would say was a good result.

luds
06-23-2010, 10:40 AM
My stomache is turning following the US vs. Algeria. Tied in the the 77th minute. :(

Tattoo
06-23-2010, 11:15 AM
What a comeback by the US!

Donovan just added a zero to his paycheck with that goal!

Man that was awesome! :happy:

luds
06-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I just tackled a co-worker. Thanks god for ESPN radio. Can't wait to watch the replay tonight.

Too bad we had to listen to JP Delacamero's call of the game.

FishermanTim
06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
No offense, but there are a hundred other things I'd rather be doing than watching soccer.
(It's like watching golf, and we all know watching golf is like watching flies f#*k, as George Carlin once said.)

Give me a good game of Irish football, or even rugby :gh: for that matter.

The only good thing is that most matches are broadcast in the mornings, so if I wasn't working, I'd have something to watch other than Jerry Springer and The Price is Right.:biglaugh:

Seriously, I could get into it, but I don't have the time to watch a full match, and if I can't watch the entire thing, it's pointless to start.

eastendlu
06-23-2010, 11:53 AM
No offense, but there are a hundred other things I'd rather be doing than watching soccer.
(It's like watching golf, and we all know watching golf is like watching flies f#*k, as George Carlin once said.)

The only good thing is that most matches are broadcast in the mornings, so if I wasn't working, I'd have something to watch other than Jerry Springer and The Price is Right.:biglaugh:

Seriously, I could get into it, but I don't have the time to watch a full match, and if I can't watch the entire thing, it's pointless to start.

Who cares if you don't like soccer than why are you posting in here start an Irish football thread:wall:!!!!
US got another bad call in the beginning of the game should of been 2-0.

mosholu
06-23-2010, 12:07 PM

Rugby has its merits but Irish football is football for kids who took the short bus.

luds
06-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks for sharing but the "I love soccer, I hate soccer" thread was a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Clogston29
06-24-2010, 02:48 PM
italy out :bgi:

luds
06-24-2010, 03:56 PM
2010 FIFA World Cup™: Round of 16
Uruguay vs. South Korea - 26 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)
United States vs. Ghana - 26 Jun 8:30pm (South Africa Time)
Germany vs. England - 27 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)
Argentina vs. Mexico - 27 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)
Netherlands vs. Slovakia - 27 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)
Brazil/Portugal vs. (Chile/Spain/Switzerland) runner-up - 27 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)
Paraguay vs. Japan - 27 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)
(Chile/Spain/Switzerland) vs. Brazil/Portugal - 27 Jun 4:00pm (South Africa Time)

cableguy
06-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Germany vs England is going to be a great match...good way to start a Sunday

mosholu
06-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Tough loss for the US after a great effort to get to the second round. Have to question the coach's decision to change a couple of players and also their inability to bring into play any width into the attack. That being said there is a lot to build on for 2014 as the core of the team will still be available. Imagine Jozy and Edu with four more years of experience plus Donovan and Dempsey still at an age where they can be productive if they stay away from injuries.

MarshCappa
06-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Tough loss for the US after a great effort to get to the second round. Have to question the coach's decision to change a couple of players and also their inability to bring into play any width into the attack. That being said there is a lot to build on for 2014 as the core of the team will still be available. Imagine Jozy and Edu with four more years of experience plus Donovan and Dempsey still at an age where they can be productive if they stay away from injuries.

I don't know man this is pretty optimistic. I saw a team with some major issues on D. They need to fix the early goal thing. I'm not impressed with their performance at all and I think this is a setback for progressing the popularity of the sport in the U.S. While the rest of the worlds top teams recharge the U.S. always seems to be trying to find it's international identity. Time for Pats trianing camp talk!

luds
06-28-2010, 06:35 AM
I don't know man this is pretty optimistic. I saw a team with some major issues on D. They need to fix the early goal thing. I'm not impressed with their performance at all and I think this is a setback for progressing the popularity of the sport in the U.S. While the rest of the worlds top teams recharge the U.S. always seems to be trying to find it's international identity. Time for Pats trianing camp talk!

I agree that they were not all that impressive but the last thing this tournament has been is a set back as far as the popularity of US soccer goes. The ratings were great and if you turned on the TV you heard about the US team and how they were doing. They dominated Sports Center. It was really disappointing for the team to lose to Ghana again but at least they didn't take a step backwards.

Raven
06-28-2010, 08:37 AM
when i READ or hear the word "cup" i think of a ladies bra size
or coffee and nothing else

MarshCappa
06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
when i READ or hear the word "cup" i think of a ladies bra size
or coffee and nothing else

Lord Stanley is rolling in his grave!:rotf2:

Raven
06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/stanley.png

mosholu
06-28-2010, 11:12 AM

I read an article which addressed your last point. Basically the theory was that all the great football nations have a national identity when they play. With Italy it is defense, with Brazil they attack, etc. Until the US forms that identity so that youth playing in the junior teams all grow up in the national system they will always be starting from square one as each coach has his own plan. With a German youngster the transition to the national side does not require that much effort because the Under 21s played the same system.

MarshCappa
06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
I read an article which addressed your last point. Basically the theory was that all the great football nations have a national identity when they play. With Italy it is defense, with Brazil they attack, etc. Until the US forms that identity so that youth playing in the junior teams all grow up in the national system they will always be starting from square one as each coach has his own plan. With a German youngster the transition to the national side does not require that much effort because the Under 21s played the same system.

Yea, exactly! I heard one Irish announcer say that we are the most educated team in the world. Meaning that almost all of our players played in the NCAA. He said that as long as the US continues to develop it's young talent that way they will never win. Think about it, they are 22 by the time they play for the US and all are coming from different college teams with different styles. If we had a true junior team or system these kids wouldn't be going to college at all but instead being groomed for the next level with many of the same kids, so by the time they reach world cup level they have been playing their national style for years and years. We'll never win the world cup at this rate with this system or lack there of. I don't consider the US a world class team at all. World class to me is consistency year after year. So far the US is just consistently unknown in their style. They keep switching coach's and tactics and never truly develop a youth program which will keep us in the lower teir. It's kind of ironic that we are the most educated but no one can figure that out. Most of our team this year is over 22 with this being their first national experience. Germany on the flip side is mostly comprised of 22 or under players with many years of national experience. It's interesting, while it may be growing in popularity here we don't have a national strategy on how it should be carried out for the US to ever really be considered a cup threat. If they could keep this group together and add a few pieces to the D maybe they can do better but I honestly don't think they'll do it.

Clogston29
06-30-2010, 08:44 PM
The us's style is basically to play predictable, high school style soccer - just at a higher level. Good hustle and teamwork, but no style or imagination.

It'll be a really hard thing to change. I don't buy into the whole, we just need to attract out best athletes to soccer argument. I think they are fine from an athletic standpoint, not from a soccer standpoint. American players aren't plucked up and put into development programs and youth teams of elite clubs at 14-16years of age like they are in Europe and other parts of the world (kind of like juniors for hockey in canada). because of this, they develop playing with inferior players and coaches, and develop to be only good enough to stand out in that system. just look at the style and level of play in the MLS.

just a few examples. rooney (who was very disappointing in the cup) was with united at 16. giggs (my favorite player as a kid) too. remember when holland was churning out stars like kluivert, van de sar, bergkamp, gullit - they were all coming out of the Ajax youth progam (although in hind sight, steroids may have had a lot to do with it). Spain and Portugal have both built their current teams out of their national development programs from U14 to U21 to olympics to full squad. The African and South American countries have development camps, often sanctioned by european clubs looking to farm talent, where success is a way out of poverty - a level of motivation very few american players have.

i'd love to see the US soccer federation bring in Klinsman either as a coach or a consultant to help develop their program from the ground up. there's no reason that the US, with our population and diversity, cannot become an elite (say, top 5) team in the world.

Raider Ronnie
07-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Anyone else been watching the news lately with the reporter in Framingham because of the huge Brazilian population ?

Bay State Brazilians Primed For World Cup Match - Video - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/24119736/index.html)

I'm watching the reporter and saying to myself,
WHY THE HELL IS THE INS NOT DOING IT'S JOB ???
70% of them in Framingham are ILLEGAL !
(this info assured to by a legal Brazilian I work with)

SurfCaster413
07-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Am sorry call me an ignorant american but one word describes the world cup for me " JOKE "

numbskull
07-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Congrats to Spain. Intriguing team to watch and a very deserved win. (which is a strange thing to say about a team that won by scoring a total of seven goals in 8 games). Iniesta and Xavi are a joy to watch.

Fascinating game today and a very tough test. I thought Holland looked like thugs....but you do what you gotta do and they almost pulled it off.

I was disappointed in the Germans. I think they had the wheels to take it to Spain, but lost their coaching nerve and played too conservatively. Enjoyed their other games, however. That kid Mueller looks like the real deal.

Kudos, too, to Paraguay and Uruguay. Both tactically great teams that put scares into teams full of much better players. Forlon was immense. MVP of the tournament in my eyes. Wipes out those memories of him missing the easiest goal ever while with ManU.

A fun month. Great theater, top class skill, low class acting, plenty of controversy, overall good reffing (a few major gaffes aside), neat venues, HDTV.............. a great show by a great sport.