View Full Version : Leader choices "Stripers" in mind...

tjd241
06-12-2010, 08:52 AM
What are people using for leaders?... or maybe not using leaders certain times? I fish in SW Fairfield County (L.I.S.) and have used all manor of leaders (and early season no leader). Just wondering what others use and why. I fish from shore around inlets, on the beach, and jetty type casting. I've caught plenty of Bass on a wire leader, just wonder if I could have caught even more with a more stealthy leader. I really don't want to lose plugs, but I also want to try a less obvious leader. Now that Blues are around, I know the smart money is on staying with a wire leader, otherwise I'll lose a few plugs. Where I usually end up fishing is a pretty Bassy spot, but they are picky, and invading Choppers are always a concern. Any recommendations? thx.... tjd

BigFish
06-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I use 50# Seagar flurocarbon! Might be pricey but it works great for me and I feel comfortable using it!!!

flyvice11787
06-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Unless you're using very small lures, there's no need for wire leaders. Depending on if there's bluefish around and if there's structure ( rocks, mussel beds, etc.), I'll use 25-50 lb. test mono. If I'm fishing really light stuff, I'll use the 25 lb. test. Everyday leader of choice that I use fishing LIS is the 40. If I'm fishing really rocky spots, I'll go up to 50. If you're getting bluefish, just make sure you're checking the leader for nicks and frays after every fish. Just pinch the leader material between your fingers and run it up the leader. If it's damaged, just cut back or just tie on a new leader.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tattoobob
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
50 pound Big Game, I buy a bulk spool and tie my own usually 3 to 4 foot long

I always use a leader due to spinning reels

I have never had a need for a wire leader using 50 pound big game
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Fly Rod
06-12-2010, 12:00 PM
40lb. leader most of the time. When fishing around the wharf pilings I use 50lb..

stripermaineiac
06-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Try using seagar like larry said. i've been using 30 lb for the lighter stuff and 50 to 60 lb eeling and plugging for yrs. Don't think I've been bit off but 3 times in the last 6 yrs at most and I've been into some major blitzes of stripers and blues. You'll get way more hits and probably land more using it. Ron