View Full Version : Bike Shop or Bike Help

cableguy
06-13-2010, 08:29 PM
having trouble with the canal bike....cant get the chain tight...its not like my old school bike growing up..its a mountain bike with multiple speeds.....anyone know how to tighten the chain on those things....says in the manual that I need to take links off the chain...any suggestions, or anyone care to help?:huh:

spence
06-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Is it the chain or is your rear derailleur not taking up the slack? If you put it in the big chainring and the bike rear cog, is there much slack or can you pull the chain away?

BigFish
06-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Take it up to Cycleville in Cedarville (Plymouth) right up Rt. 3 from Scussett up by exit 2. See Jimmy the owner and he will fix her up right for you while you wait! Tell him BigFish sent you!!:)

WoodyCT
06-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Probably have the gear combo off. if the chain is on the small front ring it will seem too loose when on the smaller rear cogs.

Put the chain on the middle ring in the front and you can use all the rear cogs.

Small front ring is for the 3 largest rear cogs only. Big front ring is for the 3-4 smallest rear cogs.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

cableguy
06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Spence it might be the derailleu....I have it on the middle gear, but when I try to change gears, the chain comes off....not sure....looks like I am walking tomorrow morning, have to mess with it more when I get home....thanks....if I cant figure it out, I'll have someone look at it

PaulS
06-14-2010, 08:40 AM
search for "bike tutor" to see videos on breaking (shortening) your chain.

Saltheart
06-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Pretty easy to remove a link and test , then another , etc. A lot of times just 1 link makes a world of difference.

It may also have fallen down or gotten bumped and the derailer is not lined up anymore?

NE-Stripes
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM
is it a new chain? if the bike came with it on there it should be the right size. Having been an avid mountain biker for many years a good chain tool is invaluable. If you buy a good bike multi tool they usually come with a chain tool topeak and park make nice multi tools. sounds like an alignment issue to me, derailiers can be a pain esp if the hanger is a little bent.

WoodyCT
06-14-2010, 02:20 PM
There are a million and 1 adjustments that can be done to a mountain bike front and rear deraileur to adjust the chain and shifting.

Problem is, they aren't very obvious to those who haven't spent much time wrenching on a bike. Unless you changed the chain it probably is the right length, although it may have lengthened significantly over the years if it is old. The tolerances between the pins and links enlarge from the grit and tension, and this can screw up the shifting.

I'd suggest saving the hassle and headache and take her to a shop, especially if you want to use it sooner than later.

Good luck..

numbskull
06-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Most likely the the front shifter is pushing or pulling the chain too far.
Have some one grab the seat and hold the rear wheel off the ground while while you pedal and shift between the front chain rings. You will see that a arched chain guide pushes the chain in or out. If it goes too far it will knock the chain off. There is usually a small stop screw that will limit the travel of the shift cage which you can adjust to correct it. At least that is the way it worked 40 years ago when I worked on them.

Pete F.
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Cut the chain so it fits on the middle ring front and back, throw away the deraillers. The canal is flat, you don't need 18 or more speeds. Sort of like taking the bail off a spinning reel so it can't screw up.