View Full Version : Wouldya???

tjd241
06-14-2010, 10:12 AM
====== Input was greatly appreciated. With thx.... tjd

JohnnySaxatilis
06-14-2010, 11:19 AM
i have one sitting in my parents basement that i used for schoolies on the cape one season couple years ago. had no problems with it. but i think anything over keeper size would fry the thing. seems too small and too much bendy plastic goin on to hold up to a decent fish. I do have a cabo pt 40 however now and i have no doubts about it. thing is a rock. paired with my 8ft tica dolphin and its in my opinion the perfect small setup for the places i fish on the cape. Good luck!:grins:

JohnR
06-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Great Schoolie reel, undergunned on bigger fish.

WoodyCT
06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
can be murder on the fish. Long fights and multiple runs on light tackle kill fish by exhausting and stressing them.

I'd go with a stout little rod with plenty of ballz, a smaller quality reel and 20lb. Fireline so you can put the boots to them like a big rod does.

I have a 7' Allstar fast action MH that I put a VS 150 on, and it whips fish up to 40" fairly easily.

PS A sharpie I know who owns a shop in CT fishes a 9' Lami with a VS 150 most of the time. More than comfortable to use, and can whip most anything he tangles with.

Bocephus
06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
its nice to have light tackle, so much easier on the body physically. However, you will lose bigger fish, no doubt. If youre just fishing a beach, throw some 30lbs braid on it and you are all set. if youre in rocks or any other situation that you need to control the fish, then all bets are off with light tackle.

numbskull
06-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I spent the first 20 years of my fishing career using a 6.5 ft spinning rod and a mitchell 300 sized reel (actually an Orvis 100ss which had a line roller) with 8 lb test line as my primary saltwater outfit. With good line it will handle bass to 30 lbs and bluefish to 15 lbs pretty easily. I'd think that with braid and higher quality drags a little shaimano would be fine. You will need to use your finger on the spool for extra drag.

Frankiesurf
06-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I agree with Woody on this. If you catch a decent bass it will most probably not be revived. Save the bass, go with the big stuff.

piemma
06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
That's the problem I always had with fly fishing and ultra-light tackle fishing. You fight the poor fish until it is so loaded with lactic acid that no matter what you do.....it dies.

Let's be spotsmen about it and use the right gear for the right size fish.