View Full Version : Help choosing a lamiglas blank

ivanputski
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I am going to have a rod made, but want to be sure I select a black that I am happy with once I actually cast it, and not just hold it in a shop... I want a nice moderate/fast action 10' rod with a quick recovery. something a little faster action than the gsb 1201m

I fish RI, throw eels 70% of the time, plugs the rest of the time. I am looking for a light, fast action rod... I like a sensitive rod... something with some backbone, but not a stiff lifeless meatstick.

Anyone that can help out due to experience, I would GREATLY appreciate it... trying to get this rod before any unexpected bills come in the mail, and I want to get skunked ASAP!!!

tattoobob
06-17-2010, 01:57 PM
GSB 1201 M Is your best all around Lami IMO

You can go to CMS in New Bedford as they usually have rods prewrapped

bart
06-17-2010, 02:15 PM
for factory the 10ft Lami Super Surf rated 2-6oz is an awesome rod

JFigliuolo
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Lami's (except Arra's) are NOT fast action... I'd look at the St Croix legend rods.

Mr. Sandman
06-17-2010, 02:22 PM
The nicest surf rod I have is a custom SEAWOLF (Dave Fontaine) Lamiglas supersurf blank. I just had Dave make my buddy on Nantucket the same rod, really exceptional work. He is over here on his honeymoon right now and dropped it off at my house yesterday, talk about service! I am temped to fish with tonight to "test it out" but I better not.:devil2:

CMS does a nice job for the $, they turn out many of the "custom" rods for local shops now. They usually have several guys making rods every time I go in there. They must do amazing volume. Several shops have given up making rods because CMS can do them faster, better and cheaper than they could. (they now get them from CMS and usually have the local shops name on them)

I think the supersurf blank (the 10' 1 pc MH ) blank has a wide range and can toss just about anything in your bag. More rugged blank than the Arra series .

snake slinger
06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
gsb 1201 m

GattaFish
06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
The nicest surf rod I have is a custom SEAWOLF (Dave Fontaine) Lamiglas

I have a Fontaine rod... UNBELIEVABLE workmanship,,,, Definitely worth the extra money and the wait....:uhuh:

Vogt
06-17-2010, 02:34 PM
hands down gsb1201m
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence
06-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Get a 1201m and be done with it.

/thread

JFigliuolo
06-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Light and fast are NOT 2 words that describe the 1201m. at all...

Thumper
06-17-2010, 03:51 PM
pete next time you come down you are more than welcome to throw my custom gsb1201m that saltheart wraped. i went from a 2 piece tica dolphine that was a fast action. it took some getting used to but i dont think i will ever own another blank especially for eelin. saltheart did an amazing job on the rod, thing casts and fights fish perfectly

AL617
06-17-2010, 04:10 PM
ssu 1201m sounds like it might be a good fit for you, especially if you go custom with small light guides out to the tip, super light, super sensitive. ss101ms is the factory rod on this blank.

I dont know if I would call it fast in the traditional sense, but its faster than some of your other options while still taking a nice parabolic bend down to the butt if that makes any sense.

If the ssu1201m is too light for you, maybe the ssu1201mh would be a better fit, ss101mhs is the factory version of that blank.

also the xs101mhs is a gsb1202m blank, gsb1201m being the one piece version so if you liked the 2 piece definitley check out the 1 piece as well. dont think theres a factory rod made on that one though.

spence
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Look at the context. He want's some backbone in a light package, sensitivity and to throw eels 70% of the time. He doesn't want a meat stick.

That spec fits the 1201m to a tee. Sure it's not a super fast action blank but if you're throwing eels that's an easy compromise. It's not like it's all that slow either...

He's looking for the perfect all around rod, that is the 1201m.

If you're around Tiverton feel free to come throw mine. The water is just down the street.

-spence

numbskull
06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
You might talk to Back Beach. Pretty sure he has fished both blanks and god knows he has thrown enough eels to be considered a lose.......I mean.... to know what he is talking about.

The Dad Fisherman
06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
1201m :kewl:.......

Pete F.
06-17-2010, 04:49 PM
There is a reason the GSB1201m has been around and loved for years. But do you really think that it will be the last rod you ever own? Lot's of guys have been looking for that magic rod. Just like drivers and putters, skiis and boots, horses and women.

bassmaster
06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
gsb 1201 m

and or a 1204 once ya learn the action it is fine but i have both these blanks. the 1204 ya can feel more with but it is a fast action rod so what ya spect:spam:master

i hate fishing its stupid

ivanputski
06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
thanks for all the quick feedback guys... probably going to take a trip to cms and see what they have... will check saltwater edge also since they are pretty close to gansett. Thumper, I'll call you and definitely take you up on that... maybe tomorrow night!

spence
06-17-2010, 05:08 PM
I'd call CMS first unless you're close. They keep a number of rods on the rack but it's usually hit or miss cross section of stuff.

-spence

numbskull
06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
A 1201m set up the way Back Beach builds them and the old standard CMS build (although perhaps they have changed) is like two different rods.

Go slow buying a rod with a 40 or 50 mm collector unless you are very sure that is what you will need (i.e., you'll be using heavy mono on a big spooled reel) and only do so after you have held and cast something built for specifically for braid. The same guide system designed for mono is not the best choice when fishing braid. It may work, but you'll own a rod much tip heavier than it needs to be.

spence
06-17-2010, 05:30 PM
A 1201m set up the way Back Beach builds them and the old standard CMS build (although perhaps they have changed) is like two different rods.

Go slow buying a rod with a 40 or 50 mm collector unless you are very sure that is what you will need (i.e., you'll be using heavy mono on a big spooled reel) and only do so after you have held and cast something built for specifically for braid. The same guide system designed for mono is not the best choice when fishing braid. It may work, but you'll own a rod much tip heavier than it needs to be.

This is very good advice.

All the stock CMS 10' rods will probably be built with a 50mm collector as they are going for versatility. If you fish braid or want to use a smaller diameter spool you may want to go smaller and move the collector up the blank. I'd think the change in guides (and resulting tension on the blank) would alter the balance of the rod quite a bit.

I've always used 20lb mono on a VS250 and find the 50mm to work well...but YMMV.

-spence

pmbrac
06-17-2010, 05:57 PM
CMS built my 1201m this spring. He built it with the 50mm alconite layout.. I like this for this rod because when fishing eels I sometimes use heavy mono. Works awesome for braid as well.. I'm really loving the 1201m.

Mr. Sandman
06-17-2010, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=Pete F.;774465]There is a reason the GSB1201m has been around and loved for years. QUOTE]

Therein lies the problem. It is old technology, and I think it is heavy. The "price point" is what is keeping it around now. Arra is also considered old now IMO.

The big thing now is light and strong. really light. If you can, try before you buy and imagine fishing with it for hours. The new rods don't give you that cramp in your back/shoulder like the heavyweights do.

Take a look at the new technology, even the production stuff by loomis and st Croix and shimano.

PS...get a rod made just for braid... forget this combo stuff

luds
06-17-2010, 06:26 PM
There is really good advice in the this thread. I have two 1201m's and love them and I don't think you would regret buying one but it definitely does not match the description of the rod you want. It might be with the guide set up like numbskull is talking about though. Have to disagree with BM on the 1204. Great rod but good luck finding an old1204 blank which must be what he is referring to. I think I got CMS's last not that there couldn't be another out there or that they couldn't have scraped up more somehow. The arra 1205 is a good option but possibly a litte too heavy. I have no experience with this St. Croix rods but they do look nice. If I were you I would probably go for the SSU although their quite expensive. Maybe check in with Slipknot. I believe he has one.

Slipknot
06-17-2010, 07:08 PM
I'd go with the 120 1M also
you could get it factory if you wanted to, but for about the same money maybe even less why not get custom.

zimmy
06-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I love both the 1201m and the 1205. I just finished a 1205 this spring with small, light guides and it is amazing how different it feels from many other 1205's (along the lines of what the above comments are saying). Either rod should fit the bill. The 1205 is a bit faster action and feels very light, but the 1201 action is perfect for eels.

likwid
06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Has anyone mentioned the 1201M?

:hidin:

JLH
06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Pete - I'd recommend trying as many rods as you can before having one built. I have a gsb 1201m conventional and a gsb 1321l spinner cut to 10 feet. You are welcome to try either we can meeting up in RI or at the next CSA meeting.

Saltheart
06-18-2010, 12:25 AM
The 1201M and the XRA 1205 would be good candidates IMO. The Loomis 12266 is much faster action , you also should consider the new century blanks that are available.

Be very careful about 1 dimenional advice about big guides vs small guides etc. What people will classify as cone of flight vs concept and how one is better for braid is an extremely narrow discussion of what's available to you in a custom rod. The builder needs to know more than just braid or mono. he can also offer many variants of a "concept" build. Perhaps the rod and reel and lure combinations you will want and your casting ability would mean you are a candidate for a Low Rider set up. Poeple throw that around too and a fast action blank may further justify that but do you really want a classic Low Rider. Many buiulders might suggest a modified Low Rider with LC's as gathering guides but switching to MN's at or after the choker. Most don't even know the difference between their gathering guides , reduction guides , chokers and running guides.

Its a complicated business and if you will be spending good money , as you will if you are considering an SSU , you owe it to yourself to discuss it all with a builder , not a guy who is a guide wrapper, a high volume off the shelf dealer or a typical user. There's a place for all those people and a low price that justifies it all but if you will be considering spending a lot of money , talk to a builder.

luds
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Also willing to let you take a few of my rods for a spin if you're in my neck of the woods. I have a 1205, 1201m, and a 1204. Working on an ssu 1201 right now. :) Like someone said......stay away from the factory gsb. You can get a semi custom from cms for nearly the same price and it will have a handle thats long enough and fit for the surf.

Circlehook
06-18-2010, 09:59 AM
You might talk to Back Beach. Pretty sure he has fished both blanks and god knows he has thrown enough eels to be considered a lose.......I mean.... to know what he is talking about.

He also has one of the only custom built 2 piece 10' super surf blanks in existance.

Back Beach
06-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Most don't even know the difference between their gathering guides , reduction guides , chokers and running guides.

That descibes me to a tee...when someone asks what type of setup my rods are, I simply tell them they're Numbskull specials. They work quite well but don't try casting rip rap with them...

JohnR
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
GSB 1201 M Is your best all around Lami IMO

Love mine - best all around rod IMO if you need just 1.

The rest of the advice and having one tailored for you is spot on.

Dave Fontaine - congrats :btu:

Steve K
06-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Agreed.

ivanputski
06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I tried a friends 1201m... it is a very nice rod that I would definitely like to own, it still doesnt have the type of action that I am looking for for my next rod... still a bit "wobbly" after a cast... call me picky, but hell aren't we all? I think I am going to bring both my rods with me as a reference point to a builder and try to find one that matches their action... and maybe a lami isnt what i'm looking for... Thanks for so much feed back you guys!

luds
06-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I tried a friends 1201m... it is a very nice rod that I would definitely like to own, it still doesnt have the type of action that I am looking for for my next rod... still a bit "wobbly" after a cast... call me picky, but hell aren't we all? I think I am going to bring both my rods with me as a reference point to a builder and try to find one that matches their action... and maybe a lami isnt what i'm looking for... Thanks for so much feed back you guys!

If you really like those rods you might want to think about a batson.

Back Beach
06-18-2010, 01:16 PM

If its(120M) wobbly after a cast, I would suggest the NGC type setup which features multiple smaller, lighter guides from the rod's midpoint out to the tip. It lightens and tightens up the rod's feel considerably. I call it the Numbskull setup jokingly because George suggested I try it, but it is a very good layout in all honesty. I build all my spinners this way now, at least until something better pops into Numby's head and he uses me as his rod wrapping guinea pig. Worth investigating. I don't build rods commercially, so I'm not trying to sell you anything besides a good idea I stole from someone else.

ProfessorM has a rod I built this way on a 120M blank as does Texican.

texican
06-18-2010, 01:28 PM
If its(120M) wobbly after a cast, I would suggest the NGC type setup which features multiple smaller, lighter guides from the rod's midpoint out to the tip. It lightens and tightens up the rod's feel considerably. I call it the Numbskull setup jokingly because George suggested I try it, but it is a very good layout in all honesty. I build all my spinners this way now, at least until something better pops into Numby's head and he uses me as his rod wrapping guinea pig. Worth investigating. I don't build rods commercially, so I'm not trying to sell you anything besides a good idea I stole from someone else.

ProfessorM has a rod I built this way on a 120M blank as does Texican.

Yes I do and love it! Good seeing you again at the cookout.

WoodyCT
06-18-2010, 04:30 PM
With Fuji BMNAG Alconites in 30, 25, 16, 12, 10, 10, 10.
I'll give you the spacing if you want it Pete.

Dave Fontaine suggested this set up for a rod I built a couple years ago, AND IT KICKS A$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

In fact, I'll be doing the same thing with a Rainshadow blank I bought from Dave this winter.

numbskull
06-18-2010, 04:59 PM

Reverberation is often caused by heavy guides and supposedly also a poor casting stroke (too tight an upper hand and overpowering the rod after the release, I think).

Supposedly softer action rods help avoid ripping hooks out of eels...not that I would know.

The SSU1201mh is a nice blank and seems a bit "faster" than the 1201m, but not as fast as the 1205. I have one built spinning you can borrow if you get up to the canal area.

AL617
06-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Ssu built ngc would be Right up your alley. With a vs 200 I would go 30 20 16 10 10 10 10 and a tip, that's how I built mine with tHe same reel.

numbskull
06-19-2010, 05:30 AM
What he said. BMNAG guides with those numbers.
At least look at a rod built that way before deciding on something else.

Mike P
06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I think I've fished every 10' surf blank ever made. I still have a small forest of them.

The one I reach for most often is an XRA 1205. More power than a 120 1M IMO. And not overly fast like my All Star 1208, which is my next favorite 10 footer. You can still work a pencil easily on a 1205.

And they aren't at all fragile. Don't listen to the internet hype about how all Arras break.

decksweeper
06-21-2010, 02:20 PM
1201m is a great rod. I must say though..I've been fishing a 1321l with a foot off the butt for a few years now and I have not had much of a reason to go back to the M. It's lighter and throws everything I need it to. Just my .02

Thumper
06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
when you guys cut the blanks, that voids the lifetime warranty correct?

numbskull
06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Pretty hard to break a big GSB lami.

spence
06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
That's what I've been told by more than one person/dealer...

-spence

Surf Caster
06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Do you plan on using this rod more than the other rods you already have (i.e. your "every day" rod). If so, I think the versatility of the GSB 120 1M is a great choice. If you're building this as an eeling stick (realizing you may also throw plugs) then I think it makes sense to consider some of the other suggestions people have made (the super surf, etc.) as they may fit that application a bit better than the 120 1M.

I don't fish eels all that often so I can't opine as to which would be the best blank for the specific application. However, if versatility is what you're aiming for then I think a 120 1M is a pretty safe bet.

Just my $.02

Saltheart
06-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Unfortunately , yes.

ivanputski
06-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Saltheart... saw the rod you built for thumper last night... very nice work!

RIROCKHOUND
06-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Guide reverberation? Wobbly?
you guys are way too picky!

My 1201M is scratched, ugly, needs new cork tape and has had multiple guides rewrapped. IMHO it is the best all around Rhode Island rod. Throws eels, lighter chunking, plugs, and can stand a 25 on her head when needed.

Saltheart
06-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Saltheart... saw the rod you built for thumper last night... very nice work!

Thanks. he tells me he's been catching fish on it too! :)

JeffH
06-22-2010, 02:15 PM

Not necessarily. The two rods I have broken, both Arras, the factory asked for 6" either side of the break.

spence
06-22-2010, 05:28 PM
This coming from a guy who's tolerance for quality is making sure the thru wire comes out somewhere in the front 1/3 of the blank :devil2: :hihi:

-spence

Nebe
06-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Don't listen to the internet hype about how all Arras break.
come down to RI and fish a 1084 for a few weeks off the rocks. Oh SNAP.

Nebe
06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
This coming from a guy who's tolerance for quality is making sure the thru wire comes out somewhere in the front 1/3 of the blank :devil2: :hihi:

-spence

HAHAHAHA....

likwid
06-22-2010, 06:07 PM

My 1201M is scratched, ugly, needs new cork tape and has had multiple guides rewrapped. IMHO it is the best all around Rhode Island rod. Throws eels, lighter chunking, plugs, and can stand a 25 on her head when needed.

The one I got from Nebe was scratched, ugly, just put XWrap on it because the cork was a pile of steaming poo (thanks Saltheart for the advice, it came out great) gets hit by the ceiling fan at least once every couple weeks and still stops fish dead in their tracks out here at MTK.

RIROCKHOUND
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM

-spence

Yuck it up Spence.
At least I have seen a bass I didn't buy at a fishmarket this season (or last)

You two nebe.... :smash:

rizzo
06-23-2010, 05:53 AM
batson or allstar 1208s are pretty fast - very different than a 1201m. I have a 1205 arra and its fine. If cut down a 1201l can work too but the l's and m's will still feel wobbly to you. I have a 1201m too and its awesome. Give what you said, I think you need to pick between a 1208 and 1205.

Either way, if 95% of the guys here are recommending a 1201m, it may end up fitting your bill in the long run. This blank is stilll very sensitive and provides the needed cushion on bigger fish and braid. Also is forgiving with eels.

SeaWolf
06-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Its a complicated business and if you will be spending good money , as you will if you are considering an SSU , you owe it to yourself to discuss it all with a builder , not a guy who is a guide wrapper, a high volume off the shelf dealer or a typical user. There's a place for all those people and a low price that justifies it all but if you will be considering spending a lot of money , talk to a builder.

Putski, this is about as solid advice as you can get. Coming from another rod builder, many can wrap a rod, but not can build a rod.

You received a lot of great advice. It seems that you tried a GSB1201M, but didn't like the "wobble". I don't know how the rod was built for guides and layout, but in general the GSB1201M is a softer, slower graphite blank. The bigger the guides used, the more it wobbles or slower it recovers. When throwing eels, I prefer a rod that bends deeper to add in casting, since eels are not the most aerodynamic things to throw. This blank would be my choice for throwing live eels in a 10' blank. A second choice may be the SSU1201M, which is similar to the GSB, but a little lighter, faster, and tighter in feeling, plus it's a bit more expensive. I do not like fast action rods for throwing live eels, so a 1205 would not be my first choice. However, it would make a nice rigged-eel rod and it a perfect plugging/jigging rod. As others have said, ignor some of the bad rap on the internet for the Arras. I have customers that put their Arra's thru hell and they are still at it. Sure, they had a couple lines that went out w/ defects, which is most of what you read about. The others are production rods built incorrectly. One more thing about the GSB-series, it's about the most durable graphite blank out there, which is huge to me for dependability.

If you do fish braid, do yourself a favor and check out a rod built on the NGC. You will get a light and responsive rod.