View Full Version : Saturday 6/19 Epic

Typhoon
06-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Saturday morning we left Green Harbor at 5:30. There was big fleet trying to get mackerel at the bell. We got 2 miles past the bell and there were tuna busting on the surface. I’ve never seen tuna this close, this big, this early. We were after bass so we kept on going. I had heard that there were some big feeds going on at Peaked Hill. So we skipped the race and went straight to Peaked hill. We immediately saw a huge feed going on. We followed a school of fish for about 2-3 hours from Peaked Hill to the golf balls.

When I say Saturday was the best bass fishing I’ve ever seen I mean it. Not the biggest fish but the sheer number of 36” bass was staggering. We caught our normal year and a half quota of bass in about 2 hours. We threw everything at them. Those old ranger lures that sit in your tackle box and never get used…it got used. We were catching so many fish so fast, the fluoro leaders were wearing out and losing expensive lures. We eventually found the oldest nastiest lures we could find and threw those at them. The fish would hit lures at the back of the boat. Each time you brought a lure in, it was followed by 5 or 6 big bass. We brought out our super light gear and we started losing fish in the pots, so we put that away.

We were listening to people on the radio complain there were no bass at the race. If they had made a move by a couple of miles they would’ve hit the jackpot.

On the way home we got into some big pods of busting tuna. We had the bow of the boat over the school of fish and someone choked with his cast ended up with a birds nest of braid and they were gone in seconds. Oh well.

Typhoon
06-21-2010, 07:50 AM
second picture is the herring they were feeding on.

Typhoon
06-21-2010, 07:51 AM
last ones

overflowing cooler, surface feeds, doubled up.

MarshCappa
06-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Wow, nice day out there!

Van
06-21-2010, 09:08 AM
SHWEEET.

We had a similar EXPLOSION up here on Friday's charter.
The group got tired of pulling in fish. 3 straight hours...

Great to see.

Our fishfinder was also completely filled with (herring) bait and bass.

saltyric
06-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Fantastic!

ProfessorM
06-21-2010, 12:08 PM
If that holds steady and from what I have been hearing it looks like comm. season up that way is going to be a complete zoo, please send some a little south as i will not venture over there unless I am in Big Jays boat, people get out of the way of his boat , they try to run me over in my 19'er.