View Full Version : Father's Day with the kid(s)

JohnR
06-21-2010, 08:13 AM
I've gotta say this was one of the best Dad's days I've had. Cub Scout camping with the kids - first real tent camping. Bonfire, whittling, kids making their own first breakfast, fishing, etc... great weekend. And when the "camping' was over, one of the other adults and I took our boys fishing and the kids were catching smallies, perch, for a truly memorable day.

I hope many of you were able to have such a great day or reflect fondly on those days in the past when you could. It was priceless.

The Dad Fisherman
06-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Nice :kewl:

I did the same thing this weekend. We camped out Friday through Sunday up at the Salisbury Beach State Reservation. Got the boys up at 4:00 AM on Saturday to throw a few lines in the water. We lugged the stoves down to the beach and after we got all the lines in the water they cooked up a breakfast of Blueberry Pancakes and Sausages on the Beach. Unfortunately the fish didn't cooperate and we through the skunk.

Later they did a Service project and picked up trash all along the river side.....they seemed to enjoy it a little too much....maybe it had something to do with the abundance of bikinis since it was 90 out.

Later for supper the Dads threw some money together and we had a clambake for supper, Lobsters, Steamers, Corn on the Cob, Baked Potatoes, Burgers and Dogs.....w/ some water melon for dessert.

Finished the night w/ a campfire where we held a Court of Honor (awards Presentation) and then Elections for the new youth leaders for the upcoming season.

All in All a great weekend.

Rockport24
06-21-2010, 12:18 PM
sounds like a great time gents. That is what it's all about!

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
I got a sweet cookie monster t-shirt.

spence
06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Interesting...

We left our youngest with her oldest and went off alone to the Red Sox game :hihi:

-spence

FishermanTim
06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
One of my nephews's Cub Scout troop had a fishing derby at Horn Pond in Woburn. My sister asked if I'd like to come along as her "expert" fisherman :biglaugh:.
We did manage to catch a few fish, and see a couple of decent ones pulled in by others. They had a cookout with burgers and dogs with chips and watermelon.
They gave each scout a patch for participating and they all got a small prize.
They had one scout that was visiting from Florida. (They had opened the derby up to any troop that wanted to come down.)

They all had a great time as well.

Dad 818
06-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Took the kids swimming at my brothers house and then to a cookout at a friends house on Saturday. Sunday did some sweetwater fishing and the sunnies and LMB were very cooperative. Got a sweet pair of Patriots shorts to go with my "New England's Best Dad" T-shirt from last year. The ex was cool with me keeping them overnight Sunday night so we made S'mores Sunday night.

Great Father's Day!

fishbones
06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Got my son out on the boat for his first saltwater fishing trip with dad and gramps yesterday. Wind was miserable and it was too rough to get where we wanted to fish, but we had a blast anyways. My son wasn't bothered by conditions that would have made a lot of people seasick or kept them home. We only saw one other boat out in the time we were on the water. By the end of the day, my son got a sea robin, a fluke and a decent size scup that he's gonna have for dinner tonight. He said it was the best day ever. The best part is that now he wants to go out more with us. I can't wait to get him on his first bluefish or striper.

Clogston29
06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
wife asked what i wanted to do.

i said nothing. hang out at home. maybe catch up on some stuff.

she says that we have to do something since its my first father's day.

so we end up going over her aunt's house and hang out with her family.

marriage is awsome.

luds
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Hit Michael's Harborside in Newburyport with my father. Tossed back a few and hit the seafood pretty hard. Good time.

BassDawg
06-21-2010, 03:18 PM
my BEST ever started out by fishing my BIGGS producer
in the wee hours of Sunday,,,,,,,,,,coupla ratz and a beauty dawn.

next, my girls and i loaded up and headed for Good Harbor Beach
and Low. first time for my girls to see the Twin Lights!!

we C&R crabs, splish-splashed along the winding tidal river, chased a schoolie in and out of the rox, built sand castles, waded out to Salt Island, lunched on the beach, chased lobster frye, frisbeed, i slept, B dug holes, found her a "private" swimming hole, jumped some waves, drove up the coast for scenic reconn, had dinner at the Fish Shack, walked around the Neck afterwards, went back to see High at the beach, i slept some more, dug toes in the sand, played wave tag, and then home for my straw/black/blue berries compote over warm buttermilk biscuits with a medley of the same berries and some fresh whipped cream for dessert.

it was AWESOME just having a lazy day at the beach~~~

with no agenda, no place to be, and hanging out with
the two people in this world that i LOVE the most!!!

THANKS to my gurls and God,,,,,,,,,,,for i am, TRULY, a Blessed Dad!!
:claps: :claps: :bl: :bl: :bl: :claps: :claps:

jredfly
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Wife asked me what I would like to do. I knew the kids wanted to go to the beach so that was exactly what I wanted to do. Nothing brings more joy than knowing my kids are having fun. What a great day! :)

tattoobob
06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Just another day in the life for me, I just hung out by the pool all day. Last Thursday I took my dad to a nice dinner at longhorns stakehouse he had a great time
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tysdad115
06-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Golf in the morning, then a cookout specializing in fresh caught fish! Cleaned out the freezer oh the latest catch with friends and family. Great day.

Raven
06-21-2010, 06:23 PM
can't beat Longhorns for tasty Beef :hs:

i was snaking a bathroom sink drain
turns out there was a large plastic shaver top in there
and a year 2000 dime blocking it up.

transplanted red peppers into huge pots
for safe keeping .........