View Full Version : Wetsuit zipper-major failure

Back Beach
06-24-2010, 08:57 AM
As many of you already know I'm a gentleman and I don't piss myself while wetsuiting :no2:...never have and never will unless its an emergency.

Last night while pulling off the trail to run my bilge the zipper on my wetsuit let go:wall:

I pulled the suit completely off in order to assess the damage and attempt a repair.:think: Bad idea...

Needless to say, every mosquito in the area zoned in on me and proceeded to absolutely destroy me...:gorez:

I had quarter sized blood splats all over me from swatting the %$%$%$%$ers while attempting the repair. I finally got the suit back on and zipped, but it came undone while I was swimming out to a submerged perch. :doh:

Problem now is my wetsuit zipper is missing more teeth than Numbskull's old girlfriend. :tooth:

Checked out the marine zipper repair kits and will likely go that route if its not too bad, but this looks serious....short of buying a new suit, does anyone have any thoughts on this? My back can't take any more puncture wounds.

GattaFish
06-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Problem now is my wetsuit zipper is missing more teeth than Numbskull's old girlfriend. :tooth:

lol,,,, Thats some funny sheet,,,:rotf2::rotf2:

Try getting a thin 3 or 5 mil vest,,, it works to keep the cold water from seeping down your back too,,,, got one for $40 and free shipping,,

ivanputski
06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
replace the zipper... sewing machine.

tattoobob
06-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Take the new zipper and wet suit to a cobbler
I had the one in my town fix at a really low price

FishermanTim
06-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I was thinking along the lines of "There's something about Mary" scene: "Frank and beans! Frank and beans!"

I agree with zipper replacement. It will definitely be less expensive than a new wetsuit.

Pete F.
06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Have them put a relief zipper in also
Straight across right below your belt.
You'll love it
Mines just a nylon zipper and I get a little flushing but I'm not under water much.

numbskull
06-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Ahhhhhh heck..........with the eye makeup you hardly noticed.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/Quissett/exgf.jpg

BigFish
06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Was Redlite with you?? And did he give you a hand????:hidin: Ummm....help you?

The Dad Fisherman
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
All things considered...you should have just pissed in the wetsuit.

BigFish
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Mike it depends on how expensive the suit is?? Is it a $90 bargain or a $200 job??? If you have money in it take it to a dive shop for repair? Otherwise pop for a new suit...a good one! You need to pee in your suit.....thats what guys that dive do...its good enough for them it should be good enough for you! Would have saved you alot of trouble!

luds
06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
I would get it fixed if it's a Henderson. In the meantime get one of these. Great for hot nights, inexpensive, and it will more than get you by. I actually prefer them over the hyperstretch suits.

Henderson 5mm Thermoprene Farmer John A550WV with reviews at scuba.com (http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-42/056644/Henderson-5mm-Thermoprene-Farmer-John.html)

WoodyCT
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd pay way more than $147 for her! :drool:

How do you keep your arms warm in one of those get-ups Luds?

Rockport24
06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
yeah I would take it to a local tailor and just have em' put on a new zipper!

luds
06-24-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd pay way more than $147 for her! :drool:

How do you keep your arms warm in one of those get-ups Luds?

Just an under armour shirt. It's all you need in the summer. Obviously it woud be cold in the cooler months. Surf tops work well with it too but they are not cheap. The nice thing about a farmer john is it wears nicely with a dry top also.

Thumper
06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
whata u guys wearing for booties 3mm?

ivanputski
06-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I wear 3mm booties from cabelas... 14.99 and they have fold down gravel guards too... BUT after walking over 2 miles over a rocky island last night, I have to say the back of my knees were BURNING... suit rash really bad. Anyone else have this happen? remedies? my suit fits very well, but you do get some bunching behind the knees when you walk.

Clogston29
06-24-2010, 02:23 PM
suit rash really bad. Anyone else have this happen? remedies? my suit fits very well, but you do get some bunching behind the knees when you walk.

underarmour, also keeping the suit wet can help

where was the rash? you can always pull to top of the suit down when walking if it was upper body. lower body you can go with either compression shorts or compression pants. they make rash guards for surfers, but they're really the same as underarmour.

Offshore24
06-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Check out BodyGlide cream for anti chafing.

BassDawg
06-24-2010, 02:50 PM
sorry to hear about the wardrobe malfunction~~~

i'd say go with the relief zipppp, if ya want to avoid
a repeat performance of YOU and your back being ground zero.

best of luck, m'man. and when do we get to sea your's
and The Other Mike's FATTIES?? going NShorin', tonite~~~
:drool: :drool: :drool:

chrisjoe13
06-24-2010, 05:17 PM
They have cheap wetsuits in stock at job lot. $50 for a 5/4 and $40 for a 4/3.

Slingah
06-24-2010, 05:44 PM
They have cheap wetsuits in stock at job lot. $50 for a 5/4 and $40 for a 4/3.

they look pretty good for the money...I bought one but had to return it......XXL....more like a L.....
great deal if they will fit

bassballer
06-24-2010, 06:48 PM
underarmour, also keeping the suit wet can help

where was the rash? you can always pull to top of the suit down when walking if it was upper body. lower body you can go with either compression shorts or compression pants. they make rash guards for surfers, but they're really the same as underarmour.

I wear 3mm booties from cabelas... 14.99 and they have fold down gravel guards too... BUT after walking over 2 miles over a rocky island last night, I have to say the back of my knees were BURNING... suit rash really bad. Anyone else have this happen? remedies? my suit fits very well, but you do get some bunching behind the knees when you walk.

i second the underarmour. I wear an underarmour shortsleeve to stop chaffin in the under arms. 2mm boots.

Never had the bunching at knees issue.

Ken_J
06-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I have Under Armor heat gear long sleeve compression top (35$) for rash guard upper body. I am using the UA Cold Gear compression pants (55$?) for the lower half.

Thats one crazy story

Sea Dangles
06-24-2010, 09:46 PM
try wearing it backwards,easier access.

The Dad Fisherman
06-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Grown men having a conversation involving Booties and Wetting themselves.......this might be the wrong website for this conversation

rizzo
06-25-2010, 05:25 AM
I've had it with the one piece rear zip suits. Theyre annoying. 2 piece, especially the ones with the pants, not a full farmer jon are awesome. You can mix and match. There are no zippers and no water gets in those at all.

Clogston29
06-25-2010, 06:39 AM
for summer, you can't beat a farmer john and long sleeve underarmour shirt in my opinion. the farmer john luds posted is great - i've had one for a few years and wear it a ton. if its alittle cooler, go with a 1-1.5 mm pullover surftop (the ones meant to be worn with shorts) over the underarmour. you can were it under the farmer john or over. under is easy to pee, but tougher to swim.

bloocrab
06-25-2010, 06:51 AM
...Last night while pulling off the trail to run my bilge ....
I pulled the suit completely off in order to assess the damage.......

:eek:.....are you NUTZ??!!....those 'trails' have been completely infested with skeeters waiting to ambush, just turn your head around AS YOU walk and they're right there waiting for you to stop...:wall:.....you used to sound like an intelligent dude :fury:

I think when you pulled the suit completely off, you didn't "assess" the damage, you created it. :rotf2:

A tailor will definitely be able to sew a replacement on...:uhuh:, make sure you stress that you never want it to come off..."use plenty of stitch"...

Good Lucky

bassballer
06-25-2010, 07:00 AM
for summer, you can't beat a farmer john and long sleeve underarmour shirt in my opinion. the farmer john luds posted is great - i've had one for a few years and wear it a ton. if its alittle cooler, go with a 1-1.5 mm pullover surftop (the ones meant to be worn with shorts) over the underarmour. you can were it under the farmer john or over. under is easy to pee, but tougher to swim.

Im going to give this a whirl. my 5mm and 3/2 are way to hot to even attempt to wear during the day in the dead of summer. Last night I was dying to do some pencil popping out on a rock that birds have been working every night but couldnt stomach the walk in the wetsuit during that heat yesterday. I think this could be the answer. Thanks

snake slinger
06-25-2010, 07:34 AM
inland dive shop in mass cant remember the name of the town.does custom wet suits on site. iam sure thay could put in a new zipper for you.

Back Beach
06-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered a new 5MM henderson, and will send out my 7mm for zipper repairs locally. Still cheaper than owning a boat....

PaulS
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
will send out my 7mm for zipper repairs locally.

Don't you need to have someone who repairs/makes wetsuits do it? I believe the seams are sealed and having a tailor or cobbler do it may cause problems.

Back Beach
06-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Don't you need to have someone who repairs/makes wetsuits do it? I believe the seams are sealed and having a tailor or cobbler do it may cause problems.

There's an old, toothless hag who does crochet that lives up the street from me...

Pete F.
06-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Try a henderson Playa jacket. 2mm with pockets and a hood. And it does not have fabric on the outside so you don't get the evaporative cooling.
Depending on the temp I do:
Farmer john and underarmor type shirt
Farmerjohn and neoprene shirt
farmerjohn and underarmor and playa jacket
farmer john and neoprene and playa jacket
There is a basic breathable raincoat that fits in there too.
I quit driving 5 hours to fish in the beginning of November so I don't have to deal with really cold weather.
My underarmor is some otherbrand I bought at marshalls or tjmax $7

numbskull
06-25-2010, 11:51 AM
There's an old, toothless hag who does crochet that lives up the street from me...

Whatever she is saying about me is a lie!

Back Beach
06-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Well, I now own two good wet suits, a 5mm and a 7mm. Last night after much comtemplation, I decided to go out on my own and repair the zipper myself.:think:

Got the zipper aligned and soaked it with waterproof zap a gap....then I grabbed my rigged eel needles and sewed the broken section up just like the laces on a football.:uhuh:

Was walking around outside my house with the suit on doing yardwork in the 90 degree heat just to make sure the repair held...wife asked wtf I was doing...she wasn't shocked by the wetsuit, but rather the yardwork taking place.:shocked:

Will give it a real test tomorrow night in Newport..bringing the new one along just in case I need a backup...over and out.

Pray for me.:bath:

redlite
06-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Was walking around outside my house with the suit on doing yardwork in the 90 degree heat just to make sure the repair held...wife asked wtf I was doing...she wasn't shocked by the wetsuit, but rather the yardwork taking place.:shocked:

......And wonderin where you hid your potato.

tattoobob
06-30-2010, 12:24 PM
I just got my new wet suit yesterday it's a Neo-sport 5mm

wish me luck

Back Beach
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I just got my new wet suit yesterday it's a Neo-sport 5mm

wish me luck

FYI, the potato is not included but Numbskull might have an extra one...Redlite doesn't use a potato and thus he looks like a Ken doll....don't be a redlite.

tattoobob
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm going to look like a Ken Doll to because of shrinkage