View Full Version : so how do ya cook fluke?

Nebe
06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
lay it on me.. :love:

johnny ducketts
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Fish tacos
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JackK
06-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Well bled, well iced, let the fillets sit wrapped in plastic wrap for a day or two in the fridge, then sliced thinly and served raw. Amazing...

But cooked? I like to make a seafood stuffing with whatever looks good at the time (crab, scallops, leftover fish, etc) along with breadcrumbs, jalapeno, onion, and other goodies then make fluke rollups, baked in the oven till they flake easily.

Sauce can just be a drizzle of evoo or melted butter... good stuff.

Headhunter
06-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Fresh still twitching, light batter and deep fried, soooooooo good.

fishbones
06-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Simple and delicious. Cover fillet with lemon pepper and either grill or bake.

Nebe
06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
all sounds :drool:

waiting for Spence to weigh in. :rtfm:

RIROCKHOUND
06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Skin side down on the grill wrapped in foil.
butter or evoo
thin sliced lime or lemon on the fillets.
old bay

wrap in foil.
cook 10min skin side down on a hot grill and fillets lift right off skin.

wife prefers cracker crumbs/bread crumbs baked...

fishbones
06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
all sounds :drool:

waiting for Spence to weigh in. :rtfm:

Check over in the Scuppers or Political forums. I don't think Spence knows that there's a fishing forum on this site.

Nebe
06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
:drool:

Nebe
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Check over in the Scuppers or Political forums. I don't think Spence knows that there's a fishing forum on this site.
OH SNAP! :rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

MAKAI
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Google "Daddy Jacks " Fluke Francaise.
Dude is a little rough around the edges but it is a great tasting way to do fluke as is the Picata. Change chicken stock for Pinot grigio or the like. Backbeach can vouch for this.
Obviously you adjust cooking times for the fish.

Nebe
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
interesting.. I do striper piccata all the time. I think I am going to bake it per Rockhound's suggestion.

MAKAI
06-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Just an add on.
Deep fried using rice flour and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning is outstanding for Fluke and Bass chunks. It's like having your seasoned fries built right into the fish.
Little ketchup and tartar, game on.:jump1:

striperman36
06-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Blackened under the broiler

bassballer
06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I like to lightly cover the fillet in breadcrumbs, italian seasoning and drop into a hot oiled pan. lightly pan fry on both sides. serve with lemon.

Nebe
06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
:love:

dredged in flour, pan fried in 50/50 butter evo... seasoned with lemon pepper and a few other seasonings.. then made a piccatta sauce with white wine/ chicken stock/ a pinch of corn starch to thicken it a bit and capers.. NOMNOMNOMNOM:drool:

JohnnyD
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Just an add on.
Deep fried using rice flour and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning is outstanding for Fluke and Bass chunks. It's like having your seasoned fries built right into the fish.
Little ketchup and tartar, game on.:jump1:

That day the gnome made the bass mcnuggets was the first time I actually enjoyed fish and was the turning point for my now broad fish-eating habits.

Striperhound
06-28-2010, 08:41 PM
soak in milk overnight, fire up the grill wrap in tin foil and steam on the grill. EVOO,stick of butter, old bay,fresh herbs, tomatoes sliced thin, a little hot pepper, onions sliced thin. cook about 5 minutes and enjoy.

RipCaster
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm a big fan of a nice piece of fried fluke but if I'm making something light and healthy for the family I go with cevechi. Mix up some lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, garlic, some chili pepper (mild/hot whichever), onions and salt/pepper. Lay out the fish in a single layer and cover with the lime juice mix, let stand for a few hours in the fridge. The lime juice will cook the fish. You can serve it over some lettuce or rice.

ThrowingTimber
06-28-2010, 09:07 PM
stuff it with a lobster/ritz crackers/ butter and hot chili flake. sautee in BUTTAH serve over green salad or pilaf :uhuh:

spence
06-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Yea, cause I'm in Atlanta WORKING...

I'd be inclined to do something similar to what you did. A little flour, pan sear in some oil and butter...make a sauce from wine, capers etc...

It's all about the sear though. A flat fish with a really light but even golden brown pan sear is quite excellent.

-spence

Nebe
06-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Jeff, you gotta come next time. :love:

Saltheart
06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
A really easy way to cook almost any fish is to simply fry it it butter , after turning and cooking the second side , sprinkle italian brad crumbs on it. Let the bread crumbs soak up any extra butter in the pan and then use a spatula to take the fish and all the buttery crumbs out of the frying pan and plate it. Then squeeze lemon juice all over it and eat it before it gets cold. Works for any fish that is not excessively oily and particulary well for the more delicate flavored fish.