View Full Version : Ahhhh, the Pain!

JohnR
06-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Interesting few weeks of twisted ankles, bruised feet, what felt like a broken toe, higher than normal self-hooking ratio, and the coupe de gras, last night I managed to get the loading part of a large breakaway entirely under my thumbnail :wall: . Pulling THAT out was painful and now I understand why it is used in torture circles in coastal asia :fury:.

But I want to ask, is anyone using those gel inserts in wader boots? Does it make a noticeable difference? I feel like I'm bruising my feet a lot lately too :smash:

luds
06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
I have been gellin' in wader boots. They're a little bit more comfortable but those gell soles bunch up pretty easily and tend to move around some.

bart
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
my ankles are all banged up too, Bossman

Raven
06-30-2010, 08:32 AM
the doctor sholls cost more but are worth it

nightfighter
06-30-2010, 08:42 AM
You could go barefoot, and have a lot less pain if you put the boat in the water......

JohnR
06-30-2010, 08:54 AM
You could go barefoot, and have a lot less pain if you put the boat in the water......

Yeh, but i want the fish to count :smash:

Back Beach
06-30-2010, 09:33 AM
I only fish once every two weeks now, so no issues with anything other than dry rot on my monofilament. My golf swing sucks too.

Raven
06-30-2010, 09:39 AM
you're nearly as accident prone as me...
but i think i'm the champ....

nearly broke my own leg last weekend...
doing something stupid..... man it still hurts

and what sucks is.... i cannot cross my legs while sleeping now
because if i do ......... it wakes me right up....

fingers or injuries to the hands make you non motivated
to do anything....there's an old saying...

"you only feel as good as your hands" .

hope ya feel better soon :wave:

late-start
06-30-2010, 04:19 PM
if you're going to try the gel inserts, I would try to rig them inside your booties. Might be a little less prone to bunch/move.

Raven
06-30-2010, 05:15 PM
i finally got the freezer and two long bureaus moved into the cellar
by myself .....and my neck/back is killin me

but i'm glad thats done and over with

ah yes........... i will have another beer

this is the time of year that you freeze your shoes!!!!

Thumper
06-30-2010, 06:21 PM
if you're going to try the gel inserts, I would try to rig them inside your booties. Might be a little less prone to bunch/move.

Beat me to it, I'm gonna give this a try when I get a chance to grab em
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

OLD GOAT
06-30-2010, 07:16 PM
How about felt boot inserts??? Give it a try ,might help.

Jenn
06-30-2010, 08:06 PM
if your not keen on the inserts how about a decent pair of hiking socks?

maddog2020
06-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Are you using boot foot waders, JohnR?

All of my waders are stocking foot waders and I put on seperate wading boots. I've never jammed a toe or felt like my feet were sliding around EVER. Yeah, they take a longer to put on, but they are more comfortable and give you way better ankle support and protection. I've walked pretty far in mine when I am fishing down in southern RI: my fitness is the issue & not my gear, LOL. ;)

I've seen some lace up boot foot waders, but have never tried them.

MarshCappa
06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
This thread should be in the Grumpy old Farts section!:rotf2: Suck it up and fish!:rotf2: Oh my feet hurt, my back hurts, I ruined my pedicure! Come on, Really?!!!! Gel?! What are we talking about?! :rotf2:

:jump1:Just busting chops, sorry couldn't resist!

Seriously my back and neck have been killing me this year. :wall:

MAKAI
06-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Medicate thyself.

Crafty Angler
07-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Hmmm....I dunno, John - sounds to me like you've finally taken the off-ramp to Geezer City...:rotflmao:

Seriously, I put the Dr Scholls in my bootfoots and it makes a huge difference - stockingfoots are an option too but I always hated 'em, I was glad when my last pair blew out

You may also want to consider the Aquaskinz back supporter, which is great - it's too bad Kadir doesn't come out with a neoprene nut bra accessory for the...uhhh....Senior Surfcaster....:hihi:

Hell, I'd buy it...:smokin:

piemma
07-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Interesting few weeks of twisted ankles, bruised feet, what felt like a broken toe, higher than normal self-hooking ratio, and the coupe de gras, last night I managed to get the loading part of a large breakaway entirely under my thumbnail :wall: . Pulling THAT out was painful and now I understand why it is used in torture circles in coastal asia :fury:.

But I want to ask, is anyone using those gel inserts in wader boots? Does it make a noticeable difference? I feel like I'm bruising my feet a lot lately too :smash:

...and the laughed at me when I bought my boat.:rotf2:

Raven
07-01-2010, 05:36 AM
Geezer City.... thats wicked funny Crafty

i was talkin to one the other day.....called the PRES a coon

BUT.....great name for a forum by the way .... :uhuh:

i am officially a GEEZER now....

so many things not workin right.. seems like

still , slowly the fresh produce and labor are improving my health...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
JOHNR ?
do you own a pair of the very smallest vice grips?
they work awesome...

JohnR
07-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Are you using boot foot waders, JohnR?

Oh yeh, only stocking foot / breathables. Will try the foam ones

This thread should be in the Grumpy old Farts section!:rotf2: Suck it up and fish!:rotf2: Oh my feet hurt, my back hurts, I ruined my pedicure! Come on, Really?!!!! Gel?! What are we talking about?! :rotf2:

:jump1:Just busting chops, sorry couldn't resist!

Seriously my back and neck have been killing me this year. :wall:

I believe you are my age, Mr Glass House Man :rotf2:

Hmmm....I dunno, John - sounds to me like you've finally taken the off-ramp to Geezer City...:rotflmao:

Not ready for your club - yet ;)

We gotta go fishing again in your neck of the woods.

Raven
07-01-2010, 07:37 AM
think of those weights

10 pounds on each foot

pushing down

now add gear to that....

feet ain't liking it.... :hs:

i'm in the same BOAT

Crafty Angler
07-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Not ready for your club - yet ;)

We gotta go fishing again in your neck of the woods.

Believe me, NOBODY joins the Rusty Zipper Club of their own volition...:hs:...but it still beats the alternative

Just give me a shout, John - it was a little quiet hereabouts for a while, but it's looking brighter by the day (or night, as the case may be)...:uhuh:

JohnR
07-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Chuck - Hehehe - will do.

My thumb looks like a cat's eye from where the breakaway clip was under the nail :devil2:

Slingah
07-02-2010, 07:29 AM
stocking foot/ wading boots - nothing

bootfoot - SPENCOS

Spenco > Love Your Feet (http://www.spenco.com/)

snake slinger
07-02-2010, 07:36 AM

i cant believe you said that!

The Dad Fisherman
07-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Bad Backs and Gel Inserts.....when do we start the thread listing all the Early Bird Specials in town..

Anybody know what brand of Adult Diapers and Support hose work well when Wet-Suiting?

Aqua-Seal vs Poli-Grip.....Pros and Cons of both.

snake slinger
07-02-2010, 07:45 AM
nothing beats a good early-bird special

Raven
07-02-2010, 09:20 AM
nothing like getting a splinter in your trigger finger
as all work grinds to a halt

but a fish hook is perfect for digging them out...

just wish i was using it for it's intended purpose. :hs:

Saltheart
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
The gel soles bunch up and then thebottom of your feet , especily the ball of your foot and inside the arche feel like they are on fire!

If you try the solid arch support inserts , you want to work your way up in time. Like 30 minutes one day , 45 the next , 60 the next , etc. If you go 6 hours on them the first day , you will regret it and probably never give them a socnd chance. If you work your way up they help but then you may find sudden pains developing in the knees and lower back.

You can exercise and stretch and all the good stuff that work miracles on your muscles but unfortunately, there's no way around your bones and joints getting old.

BassDawg
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
we own the same waders, or
perhaps not. but anyways~~~~

something that my sports chiro told my wife to do for
tender heels. my heels(soles) have been sore lately.

take a golf ball and roll it around, barefooted, under the sore areas.
you are breaking up the capillaries that get "tight". worked wonders for my heel, sole, arch. hope this helps?

i also do the ankle circles, both directions, to keep things loose and flexible almost everyday.
that is more a function of yrs on me feet at work. heal well,,,,,,,,,,or, be well heeled :bl: :bl: :bl:

JohnR
07-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm gelling in my day shoes now and its helping, next will try the wader boots :hihi: