View Full Version : Say it isn't so!!

clcharette
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Heard the east coast is shutting down August 1 for recs and commercial? Rumors??

Slick Moedee
07-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Absoulte crap. Rumorville. Just spoke with the Feds, both comm and rec will be open.

Raven
07-01-2010, 03:47 PM
on the other site i'd imagine....

clcharette
07-01-2010, 04:49 PM
on the other site i'd imagine....

Local fish market owner was told by one of his suppliers yesterday that 6 or 7 different species are going to be shut down because of the gulf crisis.

I hope its just a rumor.

angler229
07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Rumors I think.

Raven
07-02-2010, 07:04 AM
there's alot of water down there that's oxygen starved
because BP those PRICKS .......... are Sinking the oil

that's what the dispersant s are for.... to hide the oil
not to break it up..........

kill the plankton and you kill the oxygen

the oxygen on this ocean planet we stupidly named earth
comes from the ocean
not the land masses.....

they want this crap to last 15 or more years
to spread out their losses
so they can save MONEY

they should all be SHOT Dead and fed to sharks :realmad:

FISHING_FOOL
07-05-2010, 01:54 PM
More misinformation!

spence
07-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I heard the same thing from my local fishmonger today, and it wouldn't surprise me if it did happen. If things are that bad they'll need all the breeders they can get.

-spence

Sashamy
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I though most of the oxygen we breathe came from trees I guess my biology teacher was wrong....these tuna that we catch do not all breed in the gulf of mexico...they breed in the med actually there has never been a huge population of breeders in the western atlantic...these fish go east north wherever so if our seaon or fishery ever gets closed due to a bit, and I say bit because I am sure that world war two spilled more oil in the Atlantic than this spill ever will it is complete beareaucratic bull%$%$%$%$....

JohnnyD
07-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I though most of the oxygen we breathe came from trees I guess my biology teacher was wrong....these tuna that we catch do not all breed in the gulf of mexico...they breed in the med actually there has never been a huge population of breeders in the western atlantic...these fish go east north wherever so if our seaon or fishery ever gets closed due to a bit, and I say bit because I am sure that world war two spilled more oil in the Atlantic than this spill ever will it is complete beareaucratic bull%$%$%$%$....

Got any links where we can read about this?

This study (and just about every lecture I've seen and report or study that I've read) seems to say otherwise.
Tag-A-Giant Foundation (http://tagagiant.org/Summary_Nature.shtml)

Sashamy
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
tag-a-giant and Block are huge supporters of shutting the fishery down...the two stock theory was created by a guy name Fox...that is why the ICAAT quota for the western atlantic was so low...one a BFT reaches about 90 inches they travel to the Med to breed ect...some stay here but it has always been like a 10th of what spawns in the med, I do not have a study but I have been at this game my whole life and it is common knowledge amongst loing time bft enthusiasts...just look at where some of those pop ups surface...Ireland, Spain Italy...

keeperreaper
07-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Doug you are spot on and really the science is in its juvenile stage. Our fish we see do travel east to spawn based on the current scientific data.

JohnnyD
07-13-2010, 08:22 AM
tag-a-giant and Block are huge supporters of shutting the fishery down...the two stock theory was created by a guy name Fox...that is why the ICAAT quota for the western atlantic was so low...one a BFT reaches about 90 inches they travel to the Med to breed ect...some stay here but it has always been like a 10th of what spawns in the med, I do not have a study but I have been at this game my whole life and it is common knowledge amongst loing time bft enthusiasts...just look at where some of those pop ups surface...Ireland, Spain Italy...

Have any sites at all for us to look at? I'm pretty interested in reading credible reports about the bluefin stocks because it can be such a pressing issue. No offense, but I don't put much stock in "common knowledge", especially when it comes to a species as mobile and mysterious as BFT. Every map that I have seen tracking tags has looked almost exactly the same with only a fraction of the tags heading East while most head to the Gulf.

**Addition**
After talking to the seal huggers at one of the past trade shows, I've experienced how the "experts" spin and demonstrate denial to some blatant observations. That's why I'd be very interested in reading something by an independent source.

Slick Moedee
07-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Dr. Jay Rooker out of TX A & M had some studies on the mixing rates of fish caught along the east coast. I want to say he publishe in Science back in the fall of '08. His work was still rather prelimiary.

http://www.tamug.edu/rooker/pelagic.html#bluefin