View Full Version : BLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFISH ><><>

Clammer
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Should I even post this ;;

I have seen that the last 3 years / well it seems to me anyway .......... that there are far less bluefish ..exception being the fall run outside the bay has been good ;;
I had no play in this reduction/ last year I think I caught 6 -8 & all where while either snagging bait or fishing for another species . this year I have caught none . less some chops while snagging .
This year there are a ton on 1# blues walking on top in the bay ;

Anyway .. The RIDEM has recently changed the rec. daily limit from 10 per day to 15 per day A 50% increase ;
I.m always amazed on where the biolgist . both state & federal get their information .
To me , much of what they have addressed/ changed .. in many species ......... are way the %$%$%$%$ off ><><>

JUST IMO ><><>MIKE:fishin::confused::wall:

Raven
07-01-2010, 05:05 PM
you may not be fishing in as large an AREA
that they are obtaining their sampling from though :huh:

Clammer
07-01-2010, 05:49 PM
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& how big is RI ?????

& the price is up & now they have come up with two sizes ............. select & large & pay more for the 2-6 pounders .................. new market somewhere in the world ;;...................
4 years ago ..#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& & myself went out for a few hours to get some to cover the gas to pick up bass checks ... we had 128 pounds ...... I never thought about getting the check til sometime in November . I was around PJ so I stopped in & got it . threw it on the seat & went home . later i opened it .. 12.80 .WTF .a mistake .I called my dealer .no mistake >.10 P/P :devil2::wall:

Rob Rockcrawler
07-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I think i know the reason. Im going to think like a fisheries manager for a bit now. So maybe they are increasing the take on bluefish since they eat so many pogies and damn near anything else that swims in the ocean. It makes everyone happy. The pogies will rebound in no time and they wont need to take any drastic actions towards rebuilding that stock or the herring. And the squid will bounce back huge. And we all know how useful a 15 a day limit on bluefish is. Man every time i go fishing i hope to bring back 15 blues. They would never go to waste would they...I have yet to catch my first blue of the season and last year i caught 3. Even places that i use to go to catch the evening blue blitz's were barren of them. I really dont know what the hell people are thinking sometimes.

tlapinski
07-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Definately noticed a drop in numbers the last 2 seasons in SoCo. Still plenty of ten to fifteen pound blues staying inside LI sound for the CT guys, but they seem to be almost scarce at times in RI. I am currently re-reading The Fisherman's Ocean. Last night I was reading a seciton on cycles in abundance which specifically references bluefish and how they, out of nowhere, drop off in numbers. I was then confronted by one of the attorneys in my office about the fact that he hasn't seen any bluefish yet this year. They seem to be on the mind of everyone.

Stewie
07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I miss them. You have to love a fish that comes out of the water looking for a fight, looks you in the eye and tries to remove a finger or two.:bl:

JamesJet
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I agree with the lack of bluefish. Where I usually fish with friends off Monomoy. A few years back we couldn't stay away from them. All cycles I guess. I always loved bluefish blowing up bait and birds going crazy - often times a trip saver not to mention just a fun time. I caught a couple nice mean chompers in the 8 -10lb range last weekend but otherwise compared to the classic 3-5 lb fish that are used to be constant by now its been, well, slow?? The cookie cutter 32-36inch bass have been fairly consistent however so I not necessarily complaining.

likwid
07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Tons of gator blues at M.

Pete_G
07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Pull some spreader bars around SE of Block a little ways out.

You'll find 'em. :mad:

Big schools of them roaming around out there on some days, in addition to the random violent assault on the spread from the deep. Probably quite content munching on the sandeels and hanging out with the abundant dogfish. Maybe this year's batch just haven't been motivated to make it to RI just yet.

I agree though, overall, they seem kind of scarce.

stcroixman
07-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Pete G is right. Went out on a clients boat tuesday to BI, Jigging produced 5 blues of 14-15 lbs with some big stripers, but I didn't see many in upper bay this spring or last fall.

I miss them in a way, they always were there to avoid a skunking.

Crafty Angler
07-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Be careful what you wish for, Mike

I was saying that last year...and I changed my tune later in the season...:mad:

They have been a little thin inshore it seems, though so far

fishpoopoo
07-02-2010, 07:02 AM
WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!

WE'RE GONNA BE HEARING A LOT MORE OF

"!@#$ING BLOOFISH" :fury: ON DA BAY.

(HEY MIKEY :rotf2: )

Clammer
07-02-2010, 07:17 AM
CRAFTY,

I NEVER said I miss them or would miss them ..just that the state increased the creel limit ;;;

BENNIE ><><><>:buds:

tysdad115
07-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I agree, I only have one Blue to my credit this year. Normally quite a few more. I'm not ready to complain about lack of blues, but the "sure thing" of catching something has been removed. I've got more skunks than ever before.

Raven
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
:banano: finally some quality Television

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/peewee.png

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I caught 1 this year.

clambelly
07-02-2010, 11:36 AM
CCB has virtually none. Canal, 1 blue so far this year. Mid-cape SS, one day where i saw DECENT fishing. nothing like the last few years where evening blitzes were the norm down there. snapper blues have invaded the harbors, i thought they were pogies until i hooked one.

Clammer
07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
didn,t think id see the day /night >>when I went slinging eels & not once chop the whole trip ..S W E E T ;;;:jump1:

I bet the guys tossing plastic /especially the expensive ones don,t mind either ;;;;:uhuh:

Slipknot
07-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Shhhhhhhh
you'll jinx it
I hope you knocked on wood

I caught none all last year, this year I had one in the canal in May.

I guess the seals are doing a job on them too.:smash:

piemma
07-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Funny you guys bring up the bluefish. I was on the Bay early yesterday and there were schools of SMALL bluefish from the mouth of EG bay all the way to Quonset. I capped the SMALL because I have never seen acres of 1 pound Bluefish. At first, I almost got a woody because I thought they were pogies. Then I caught one and it was a Bluefish about 1 pound.

Clammer and I talked a couple of years ago about livelining bluefish for bass but Mike said they swim too fast for the bass to chase. I tried it and he was right.:wall:

MotoXcowboy
07-03-2010, 12:58 PM
yup. not one blue yet. I'm not complaining either but it does seem odd.

MotoXcowboy
07-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Clammer and I talked a couple of years ago about livelining bluefish for bass but Mike said they swim too fast for the bass to chase. I tried it and he was right.:wall:

what if you did a little trimming with scissors and/or wack it a few times like an eel

Clammer
07-03-2010, 02:11 PM
put the hook in its ass & it will chase the bass /bite it & hold on ;;:fishin:

fishpoopoo
07-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Pffft. Chloroform and a little vodka ought to help slow them down.

Saltheart
07-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Funny you guys bring up the bluefish. I was on the Bay early yesterday and there were schools of SMALL bluefish from the mouth of EG bay all the way to Quonset. I capped the SMALL because I have never seen acres of 1 pound Bluefish. At first, I almost got a woody because I thought they were pogies. Then I caught one and it was a Bluefish about 1 pound.

Not just south to Quonsett. Yesterday they were down as far as Beavertail and Narragansett.

Almost got a woody cause you thought they were pogies. :) My guess is 1 pound blues will work as good as Pogies if you rig them the same way. :)

MotoXcowboy
07-03-2010, 04:32 PM
An old timer I know taught me this trick for poisoning eels. Take a cig or two and empty the tobacco out into the bucket they're squirming in. A few minutes later they're totally stoned off the nicotine. :sleeps:

This way you knock em out but dont damage the meat wackin em' just grab one, sever the spine, and proceed to skin the rest. The chunks get breaded and cooked within a few mins and the links are so fresh they twitch on the frying pan for a minute or two. :jump:

This same cig technique should work on bloos. Put the tobacco on their head it'll absorb through the skin or just make a cigarette sleeptank with a few cigs into a 5gal bucket w/ water...

Drug the toothy bastages into submission :sleeps:

-edit on second thought the bloos will probably just float around if ya got em to stoned...but eventually they might wake up a little...LOL

justplugit
07-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Should I even post this ;;

I had no play in this reduction/ last year I think I caught 6 -8 & all where while either snagging bait or fishing for another species . this year I have caught none . ><><>MIKE:fishin::confused::wall:

Ahh, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Clammah worrying about and champinoing the Bloofish. :huh: :D

StriperZ
07-04-2010, 08:53 AM
The boat has caught five large blues (30+", 12-15 lbs) so far while targeting Striped Bass. They are a good fight. I am not allowed to tell you where I was, but I was on the water in a boat. I was using lures that I believe target bass, both sinking and surface lures. Any more specific and it might be some kind of burning. Seems about the same number of blues as I normally get. They tear the crap out of tackle. I fish on Shimano reels 4000 series of spheros, sahara, and saragossa, with medium/light duty poles. I use 20 lb braid and a 50 lb mono leader. Blues really tear the leaders up.

Blues are around and catchable. They make good tuna bait. I like them smoked.

We took some guys out June 5th and got this pic. Pat's arm got sore from fighting it on LT. I threw back 2 big ones with no pics, and my brother threw back one.

http://www.fletcherfishing.org/wp-content/uploads/PatsBlue-Afternoon.jpg

Here is the one my brother kept.

http://www.fletcherfishing.org/wp-content/uploads/bigblue.jpg

Sweetwater
07-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Pulled into Pamet Harbor yesterday. Guy had a 35" bluefish. Monster thing.