View Full Version : can I trim my summer squash plants and cucumber plants

milo
07-03-2010, 11:20 AM
the sum. squash plants are growing like wildfire ,the leaves are as big as basketballs....can I cut some of the leaves off ?Iam thinking I can and it would give the squash a boost,cause the leaves won't be s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up their juice ...and the same with the cukes

basswipe
07-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I personally don't cut off leaves unless they're wilted and dying.That's what I was taught anyways...don't know if its right or wrong but my zucs and squash do well.I've been hit or miss with cukes over the years.

Swimmer
07-04-2010, 11:02 AM
NO MILO YOU CAN'T. I grow giant pumpkins when the woodchucks don't eat my %$%$%$%$ing plants and the leaves are one fo the ways that nutrients are delivered to the fuit. You should be spraying the with fish oil once a week, not be thinking of cutting them off.

I know people used to do this with tomato plnts, cutting off the suckers, but that is the only plants they did it with.

spence
07-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I'd wager the leaves also shade the fruit and keep the moisture levels higher.

While you're at it snip some of those flowers, stuff with goat cheese and fry them :drool:

-spence

milo
07-04-2010, 01:37 PM
thanx,I no touch..........spence the leaves or the flowers?

spence
07-04-2010, 03:14 PM
thanx,I no touch..........spence the leaves or the flowers?

Snip the flowers from the zucchini or squash, remove the stamens and fill with cheese and herbs before you pan fry. You can find a real recipe online...

Of course don't remove them all or you won't get much fruit!

-spence

Sea Dangles
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm diggin the blue countertops

Nebe
07-06-2010, 12:41 PM
thats not spence's kitchen. The POS coffee maker is a dead give away. plus thats a sub par kitchen knife, and spence only uses copper bowls.

spence
07-06-2010, 01:23 PM
thats not spence's kitchen. The POS coffee maker is a dead give away. plus thats a sub par kitchen knife, and spence only uses copper bowls.
That coffee maker was sweet, they don't make them any more.

Knife is a regular Wusthof Grand Prix. If you'd like I can take a photo of my vintage French carbon steel Sabatier Jeune.

Copper bowls are for egg whites.

-spence

Raven
07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
cutting them allows the borers
into the stems that are hollow

spence
07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
cutting them allows the borers
into the stems that are hollow

Shouldn't the nasturtiums you always plant with your squash deter those?

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
07-06-2010, 04:32 PM
That coffee maker was sweet, they don't make them any more. -spence

What.....No French Press...:huh:

Raven
07-06-2010, 04:32 PM
or marigolds

spence
07-06-2010, 04:34 PM
What.....No French Press...:huh:

I have one but never use it. Unless you have the right grind the coffee comes out muddy.

The one in the picture is a Kitchen Tools which was made by B&D. We now have a Cuisinart that works fine.

-spence

Nebe
07-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I hope you have updated the counter top. Cobalt blue is so 70's

The Dad Fisherman
07-07-2010, 06:00 AM
I have one but never use it. Unless you have the right grind the coffee comes out muddy. -spence

What....Not coffee grinder either.....I am dissappointed to say the least.

Sea Dangles
07-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Get a burr grinder and a capresso for everyday use.A bodum french press for weekends. Grind and brew is gauche.

spence
07-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Get a burr grinder and a capresso for everyday use.A bodum french press for weekends. Grind and brew is gauche.
I've owned a number of good quality of grinders, even up to a comercial Mazzer Mini when I was into espresso.

The problem with coffee grinders is that even the decent home units still don't work all that well and all make a mess.

We have a roaster down the street and buy all our coffee ground. It's consumed within a week or so and I can't tell any loss of quality in the cup.

-spence