View Full Version : 60.85 Lber wieghed for the Cup!

CowHunter
07-05-2010, 02:48 PM
For Team Reel Deal!

Congrats to Frankie "The Winch" Noto out of Staten Island!

He Catcha tha fish this morning on a liva bunker!

bart
07-05-2010, 02:55 PM
damn. congrats to the angler....

numbskull
07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
That's one helluva gut. The fish is pretty fat, too.

late-start
07-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer
07-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I see that fish every night in my dreams.:drool:

stripermaineiac
07-05-2010, 06:15 PM
sweet

PRBuzz
07-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Hopefully they are still headed NORTH! Damn nice fish.

ProfessorM
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
that's a beast

robc22
07-05-2010, 06:37 PM
great fish.....good for him!!.......

Bronko
07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Supah cow. Wow.

Thumper
07-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow whata fish congrats to the angler on a fish of a lifetime!!!

Nebe
07-05-2010, 08:16 PM
biggun!

Rob Rockcrawler
07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Great fish, any idea on he length?

ruhroh
07-05-2010, 08:38 PM
52.5" I believe.

Sea Dangles
07-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Now there is a man who can make a fish look really large!!

Notfishinenuf
07-05-2010, 09:05 PM
congrats! What a fish.

Vic

MarshCappa
07-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Holy Cow! Impressive!

SurfCaster413
07-05-2010, 09:31 PM
What a cow congrats to him.

GattaFish
07-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Nice, fish...

JohnR
07-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Damn Big Fish

redlite
07-06-2010, 08:00 AM
now ThaT's a bOat fIsh tHat cOunTs.

bassballer
07-06-2010, 08:26 AM
wow. congrats

BassDawg
07-06-2010, 08:29 AM
WOW!!! that is ONE impressive BEEEOTCH!!
:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:

Well done, Team Reel Deal!

youse guys are putting together an excellent bid for this year's Cup!!
us guys have our work cut out for us!! they bangin' these off of MTK??

hyefisherman2
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Someday
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sweetwater
07-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Looks good...for a dead fish.

CowHunter
07-06-2010, 01:07 PM

:bc::bc::bc::bc::bc::bc::bc:

MarshCappa
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Hopefully they are still headed NORTH! Damn nice fish.

That one won't be heading up North! Take a look at the leader board posted in the window. At bunch of fifty's won't be making their way here either!

I don't consider myself a tree hugger by any means but the more I look at that beast I think of a few things.

1. How old is a fish of that size?
2. Depending on it's age if released how long could it expect to live?
3. If he doesn't have it mounted and eats it how good or bad does that meat taste compared to a smaller size fish?

bart
07-06-2010, 01:58 PM

:rollem:

CowHunter
07-06-2010, 02:33 PM
That one won't be heading up North! Take a look at the leader board posted in the window. At bunch of fifty's won't be making their way here either!

I don't consider myself a tree hugger by any means but the more I look at that beast I think of a few things.

1. How old is a fish of that size?
2. Depending on it's age if released how long could it expect to live?
3. If he doesn't have it mounted and eats it how good or bad does that meat taste compared to a smaller size fish?

Well, I can tell you guys that there are alot of 50's that wont make it up youre way this year and they wont even make it to Montauk. Yes, many were killed this year off NJ and NY, but it is a matter of common sense... Those big bodies of fish need a sustainable food supply and will stay close to it... That body, like it does every year will stay near the miles of pogie schools and wont go past Shinnecock, LI... You new england boys need to stop bitchin about killing bass and fix your disaster of a bait problem you have! Only in New england do you have the commercial Netting of pogies in harbors and bays... NY and NJ did their part and thats why the boys are enjoying awesome fishing here even still and its almost mid July and have for the last 4-5 years. Those fish arent heading north period... There have been dozens of 50's killed hear this year, give the guy a break, he got a fish of a lifetime and he killed it.... Im suprised it took this long for somebody to start ragging, sorry the big fish arent stacked for you... You know you do have to kind of work for em?????

nightfighter
07-06-2010, 03:35 PM

For the record, I would have "killed" it too, had I the opportunity to have hard work pay off in a catch like that...... It's not like they just fall off the truck..... nor do forties or fifties. Comes from putting in the work, the time accumulating the knowledge from all your previous experiences pursuing striped bass. Damn nice fish.

MarshCappa
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm not really ragging on the guy or anybody else who kills a fish like that. I won't go as far to say that I can even come close to figuring out what our problem is up here and don't find fault in what is happening in waters south of here. I'm just curious as to how old a fish like that is and what the guy is going to do with it after the pics are taken. It's a major accomplishment to land that fish and my hat is off to him.

tattoobob
07-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Awesome Fish congrats to the angler

cableguy
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Thats a big ass fish.....Good Job!!

I would have kept that fish in a second.....wouldnt even have thought otherwise.

tattoobob
07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Thats a big ass fish.....Good Job!!

I would have kept that fish in a second.....wouldnt even have thought otherwise.

Me to

BassDawg
07-06-2010, 09:17 PM
me THREEEE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on another note,

that Supa COW only adds 15 pts to their totals.
since they have 10 feesh entered all ready,,,,,,,,,

drop the bottom fish and the difference between the 2
is only 15.85. nice accomplishment at any rate!!!

Notaro
07-06-2010, 09:40 PM
congrats =)

CowHunter
07-06-2010, 10:51 PM
me THREEEE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on another note,

that Supa COW only adds 15 pts to their totals.
since they have 10 feesh entered all ready,,,,,,,,,

drop the bottom fish and the difference between the 2
is only 15.85. nice accomplishment at any rate!!!

There will be more than 15.85lbs upgrade.... See the updates tommorow ;-) That wasnt the only fish wieghed in the last few days!

BassDawg
07-06-2010, 11:51 PM
There will be more than 15.85lbs upgrade.... See the updates tommorow ;-) That wasnt the only fish wieghed in the last few days!

am well aware that you have others to be added!
my comment was referring to THAT specific feesh, bro!

you guys are having an amazing run of BOAT caught stripers,
and are no doubt the Team to BEAT,,,,,,,,,,and BEAT you, we WILL!!

only time and tides and screamin' drags and tightened lines will tell~~~

bloocrab
07-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Kenny, some people will never get it....:smash:

That's an awesome catch!! ...good for him.

If some people had half a clue as to how much time and effort is put in by some,,,,...they'd learn to keep their mouth shut and learn to be silently jealous, ...I for one, am loudly ENVIOUS!...slight difference. :drool:

Not sure about the guy in the pic, but very few on here could follow YOU around for a week,,,,....cases of RedBull would still not be enough,,, still waiting for a pic of a 70 caught by your hands :uhuh:

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~....has been seen on this board somewhere...LOL

BassDawg
07-07-2010, 06:52 AM
i am not jealous, and have given Kenny and
his team mates HUGE props for every Cow caught.

but within the spirit of this thread, and his other one about
"such and such ###age weighed in for The Cup,,,,,,,,,,,blah,blah,blah, TEAM REEL DEAL" <<<<that is ALL GOOD!!!

it is still okay for me to speak about the numbers with respect to how these magnificent beetches impact their board vs ours!!!
and i mean no disrespect to either angler~~~ just stating the FACTS and determining how steep the mountain may, or may not, be!!

and i TOTALLY AGREE, 1,000%, ad infinitum!!!
~~FIX the POGIES~~ ~~1 @ 36"~~

carry on, gents~~~ :grins: :grins: :grins:

RIJIMMY
07-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Kenny, some people will never get it....:smash:

Thats true, if people did get it, we wouldnt have so many beuatoful breeding fish killed for a stupid contest. We'd be practicing catch and release and preserving the fish so we can catch them again. Not to worry, soon, you'll get it.

CowHunter
07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Thats true, if people did get it, we wouldnt have so many beuatoful breeding fish killed for a stupid contest. We'd be practicing catch and release and preserving the fish so we can catch them again. Not to worry, soon, you'll get it.

I can asure you, That fish would of been DEAD weather it was in a stupid contest or not... How many people do you honestlty think would of released that fish??? I wish I had caught that fish but Good for Frankie, hope he wins the month and wins 10K with it!! All my buddies know I do my best to promote catch and release and get tired at me bitchin' at them, I even get a little carried away scolding my clients when they want to kill everything. My boats released a 51 and numerouse 40's this year... Yeah, so many of us like a little competition, it keeps us young at heart.. To each their own..

What happened to all the Bass when the pogies disapeared in Narragansett bay this year?????

Sea Dangles
07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Jimmy,you're full of crap,stop ragging on a guy who caught the fish of a lifetime and give some props to the old codger.That would be hanging on 98% of our walls,end of story.
There was good fishing outside the bay for a good amount of time,lots of big ones caught by those who know how to fish for large.

BigFish
07-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Seems like most who bitch about people keeping such fish....have never been so fortunate??!!!! I would bet they would sing a different tune if they caught it!!!! BANK ON IT!!!:uhuh:

CowHunter
07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Jimmy,you're full of crap,stop ragging on a guy who caught the fish of a lifetime and give some props to the old codger.That would be hanging on 98% of our walls,end of story.
There was good fishing outside the bay for a good amount of time,lots of big ones caught by those who know how to fish for large.

Agreed that there was quite a bit of large caught right outside the bay, but what happened to all the fish inside, the ones that consisted most of the Rhode island Spring Com Quota the last few Years???

CowHunter
07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Seems like most who bitch about people keeping such fish....have never been so fortunate??!!!! I would bet they would sing a different tune if they caught it!!!! BANK ON IT!!!:uhuh:

This is 100 Percent correct!!! Or have they even come remotely close....

JohnnyD
07-07-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm surprised no "bait is easy" posts yet.

RIJIMMY
07-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I never ragged on anyone, just blucrab. And trust me, Im not full of crap. I practice what I preach. I've gone back to the slip on many occasions when I forgot my camera. Just in case I did catch the fish of a lifetime. I guess I'm that 2%.
A week after you catch a fish like that you're left with a memory and a picture. Thats it. So why keep it? The end result is the same. Hey look at my trophy fish - I have some fillets in the freezer! A pic is all that matters. Dont mean to derail the thread. Its a great fish and an accomplishment. IMHO its a greater accomplishment to let it go.

Sea Dangles
07-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't think the bait was the same as the last few years and I heard the bay fishing reflected such.That's why Jimmy has his panties in a bunch.

RIJIMMY
07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Huh? What does my fishing have to do with this? I released all the fish I caught in previous years.
And for your info, there where PLENTY of bunker in the bay this year. They never disappeared, but come mid-June they are mostly way up in the rivers, sometimes they are in a few harbors. This year was the same as previous years bait wise. Stripers are a different story.

Sea Dangles
07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Jimmy,why keep it?
$10,000.00 reasons to keep it
or at least a $1,000.00 in prizes for a monthly.
If you choose not to participate,good for you. I'm sure the fish rest easier knowing you abstain.

BigFish
07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Why is it when someone keeps a trophy fish...which they are legally entitled to.....and they make the choice to do so as they earned it, some people have to piss all over the place???!!!!! Why can't people keep their personal negative opinions out of a positive thread????

RIJIMMY
07-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I rest easier knowing I dont contribute to the decline of a gamefish. We all have to answer to ourselves in the end. I dont hold anything against anyone in the striper cup, commercial fisherman or anyone who keeps their limit. i get pissed when people with an opinion against the majority get jumped on and called jealous or other things, which is foolish. From my view, some guys out here just want to plan their lips firmly on the a$$ of great fisherman, they dont have the balls to speak their minds. If you dont want an opinion, dont post.

BigFish
07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
The only logical way you can keep from contributing to the decline of striped bass is to not fish for them at all! Again though....why do people have to piss all over a thread to voice their own little agendas???

CowHunter
07-07-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm surprised no "bait is easy" posts yet.

You guys have a serious Problem with the bait and it WILL Keep getting worse... In NJ this year we had the Pogie boats, Arc Bait and Several boats from NC in our waters... What does that say? New England is getting wiped out and so is the south.... The Boats were kicked out a few years ago to limit them .6 miles offshore. Wish that was enough because this year they made it up this way and wiped out all the bait that was normally hanging .6 toa few miles out. It got really ugly here. just look at all the threads "Bunker wars" on some of the other boards. Well I can say, although the damage was done with pogies and pitch forking dead bass, rest assured those boats will not be allowed in state waters next year.... All the Charter Boats and rec guys banded together and did something about it! The sit back, watch, do nothing but bitch about it attitude did alot of damage up in new england, first herring and now pogies.... It will get worse, along with the fishing, most impacted will be the surf guys since those pogies gravitate to harbors, rivers. When they pour in and pour out what is waiting? Just look at the surf catches of NJ and Long Island the last few years... In the late 90's early 2000's it was horrible, now look at it... Fix The bait!!

RIJIMMY
07-07-2010, 01:03 PM
The only logical way you can keep from contributing to the decline of striped bass is to not fish for them at all! Again though....why do people have to piss all over a thread to voice their own little agendas???

Im not pissin on the guys fish, Im aiming at those who attacked the previous posts. read the thread.

BigFish
07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I have read it! The thread was posted to congratulate a fellow angler on a great accomplishment!! If you can't stay in line with the purpose of the thread then you are "off topic" and should start your own thread about catch and release!

RIJIMMY
07-07-2010, 01:08 PM
point taken, I will graciously bow out.

Sea Dangles
07-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I rest easier knowing I dont contribute to the decline of a gamefish. We all have to answer to ourselves in the end. I dont hold anything against anyone in the striper cup, commercial fisherman or anyone who keeps their limit. i get pissed when people with an opinion against the majority get jumped on and called jealous or other things, which is foolish. From my view, some guys out here just want to plan their lips firmly on the a$$ of great fisherman, they dont have the balls to speak their minds. If you dont want an opinion, dont post.

Striped bass are NOT a gamefish Jimmy. Maybe that is a good place to start.
I don't know the angler and have never heard of him either,he could just be lucky for all I know. In my opinion that fish deserved an attaboy. I don't plan on"planning" my lips anywhere near him.I must admit Bloo was smooching up to Ken a little too much though.Ken, please send Bloo an autographed picture for the headboard.

InTheHole
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Congrats to the angler, that is an awesome fish ( and I would have that fish in the box in a heart-beat ).....
It also appears that this was not so random ( lucky).... Mr. Noto is on the board in the window in the 2nd picture with a 50+ fish already weighed in.

Plum Crazy
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM
AWESOME FISH! Congrats to the guy. It's a beauty. :):buds:

RIJIMMY
07-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Striped bass are NOT a gamefish .

really? defeats the whole purpose of this website.

Definition:
gamefish - A fish prized for the sport involved in catching it.

a little more info if you want Wiki - specifically mentions SB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_fish

AND - holy crap, the IGFA (the GF stands for Game Fish) actually has a world record for Striped Bass!

bloocrab
07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
...Ken, please send Bloo an autographed picture for the headboard...

Sea Dangler, that would be for the ceiling, not the head board....and show me your spots, and I'll smooch with you too :love:..don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Jimmy...my comments were meant for SweetWater's (stupid post), uncalled for....if you took it personally or felt impelled to defend somebody....oh well I could care less....you keep releasing em, I'll keep eatin' em. Same debate all the time on here.....this site's turned into a bunch of drama-queens.,,,

Hi CowHunter,,, I LOVE YOU, can you take me fishing??? pleeeease!!!!
I better stop before it gets ugly.

Nebe
07-07-2010, 04:11 PM
boatfish dont count

:hidin:

luds
07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Sea Dangler, that would be for the ceiling, not the head board....and show me your spots, and I'll smooch with you too :love:..don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Jimmy...my comments were meant for SweetWater's (stupid post), uncalled for....if you took it personally or felt impelled to defend somebody....oh well I could care less....you keep releasing em, I'll keep eatin' em. Same debate all the time on here.....this site's turned into a bunch of drama-queens.,,,

Hi CowHunter,,, I LOVE YOU, can you take me fishing??? pleeeease!!!!
I better stop before it gets ugly.

Queens.......haven't heard that one in a while.

Green Light
07-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Impressive.

Kudos to the angler.

Driftwood1
07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Holy shhh_ tt did you guys take a good look at that GUT......... He must be a beer drinker. Oh nice fish too! Bet he toasted a few after that one...congratulations

numbskull
07-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Ask yourself just what makes it impressive.

Its size? Well obviously, but the fisherman had nothing to do with that.

The technique? Uh.....no. Nothing too special about live-lining large baits for bass. Takes work, and some skill, but hey that is what these fish eat so it hardly qualifies as special.

The tackle. Doubtful. Good bet he had a serious reel, stout rod, and heavy line. And a boat.

The knowledge, dedication, and time he put in to get it? Well that is commendable, but hardly impressive.....loads of guys do the same.

Its value? Yeah, winning a 1000 bucks with a fish I guess can be impressive.

What I think really impresses us is his luck. And before you go ballistic, I don't doubt he is a good and deserving fisherman. But so are thousands of other guys who never get this lucky. It is the fact that it can and does happen, so therefore it can and may happen to us that really impresses us. It is more about the fish itself and ourselves than the guy in the picture.

Now if he had released it.....THAT would say something impressive about him. He didn't (which is OK) and so he'll remain a very good fisherman who got lucky and got his reward and deserves congratulations.......but it is the fish, not him, who was impressive. Too bad it is gone now.

TheSpecialist
07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
:cheers:Well, I can tell you guys that there are alot of 50's that wont make it up youre way this year and they wont even make it to Montauk. Yes, many were killed this year off NJ and NY, but it is a matter of common sense... Those big bodies of fish need a sustainable food supply and will stay close to it... That body, like it does every year will stay near the miles of pogie schools and wont go past Shinnecock, LI... You new england boys need to stop bitchin about killing bass and fix your disaster of a bait problem you have! Only in New england do you have the commercial Netting of pogies in harbors and bays... NY and NJ did their part and thats why the boys are enjoying awesome fishing here even still and its almost mid July and have for the last 4-5 years. Those fish arent heading north period... There have been dozens of 50's killed hear this year, give the guy a break, he got a fish of a lifetime and he killed it.... Im suprised it took this long for somebody to start ragging, sorry the big fish arent stacked for you... You know you do have to kind of work for em?????

Mr. Sandman
07-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Isn't this stiper cup fun??? whoohoo!

:rumble:

bloocrab
07-08-2010, 06:24 AM

.........if he had released it.....THAT would say something impressive about him. He didn't (which is OK)........

If he released a dozen fish between 20 & 30 pounds that day but kept 2 for himself, ...would that IMPRESS YOU???....or are you just mad that HIS 60 will not make it to the end of your line? What really bothers you about this particular angler keeping a fish of a lifetime????....Perhaps you've caught many 60# fish????? Can I fish with you too,,,, PLEEEASE!!!! :love:

RIROCKHOUND
07-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Can I fish with you too,,,, PLEEEASE!!!! :love:

You are such a whore :buds:

CowHunter
07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
By the way... Heard a 64 was killed of Block last night!

It was from an extremely lucky angler, he has been very lucky this year and as a matter of fact has had incredible luck the last few years. I mean, who gets lucky enought to get a 53.10, and 51.50 wieghed in for athe cup this year and tops it off with a 64??? MAybe his luck ran out and he wont catch and kill anymore hogs? All those Sterile Breeders at the end of their life which are all dead now???

JohnR
07-08-2010, 08:04 AM
OK, folks, lets lighten the mood a bit.

Thanks...

CowHunter
07-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Its size? Well obviously, but the fisherman had nothing to do with that.

The technique? Uh.....no. Nothing too special about live-lining large baits for bass. Takes work, and some skill, but hey that is what these fish eat so it hardly qualifies as special.

The tackle. Doubtful. Good bet he had a serious reel, stout rod, and heavy line. And a boat.

The knowledge, dedication, and time he put in to get it? Well that is commendable, but hardly impressive.....loads of guys do the same.

Its value? Yeah, winning a 1000 bucks with a fish I guess can be impressive.

What I think really impresses us is his luck. And before you go ballistic, I don't doubt he is a good and deserving fisherman. But so are thousands of other guys who never get this lucky. It is the fact that it can and does happen, so therefore it can and may happen to us that really impresses us. It is more about the fish itself and ourselves than the guy in the picture.

Now if he had released it.....THAT would say something impressive about him. He didn't (which is OK) and so he'll remain a very good fisherman who got lucky and got his reward and deserves congratulations.......but it is the fish, not him, who was impressive. Too bad it is gone now.

I know... Anybody can do it... He does get lucky all the time... Since May he had a 50, wieghed in a 40 every week and released many others...His 59 and other 50's off the SURF are easily accomplished. I mean its as easy as livelining bunker, no special tricks or anything and anybody can find a pod where the big fish are on... Its just soooo easy!

BigFish
07-08-2010, 08:06 AM
I can hear the singing of Kumbayah!!!!:gh::gh:

CowHunter
07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Isn't this stiper cup fun??? whoohoo!

:rumble:

Its the usual handful of Hardcore catch and release "stripers4ever" gamefish guys that arent even fishing the cup, just waiting on the beach waiting for the fish to come to them.... (But they are putting in alot of time- Just havent been LUCKY Yet).
The same guys are always crying when somebody kills a 40, 50, or 60.... Its funny, I have yet to see a single majestic pic of even a schoolie being released from some of those guys...

Dont worry, Maybe if everybody stops killing these big fish, you to can get Lucky because then it will be easy!?!?!? JUST TEASING! The same guys will continue to get lucky and kill 40's,50's, and 60's every year....

STRIPER CUP!!!!!!!

RIJIMMY
07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Its the usual handful of Hardcore catch and release "stripers4ever" gamefish guys that arent even fishing the cup, just waiting on the beach waiting for the fish to come to them.... (But they are putting in alot of time- Just havent been LUCKY Yet).
The same guys are always crying when somebody kills a 40, 50, or 60.... Its funny, I have yet to see a single majestic pic of even a schoolie being released from some of those guys...

Dont worry, Maybe if everybody stops killing these big fish, you to can get Lucky because then it will be easy!?!?!? JUST TEASING! The same guys will continue to get lucky and kill 40's,50's, and 60's every year....

STRIPER CUP!!!!!!!

Its funny you have to insult people to try and make a point. I've barely posted on catch and release and am far from a hardcore tree hugger. I get riled up when people, like you, need to insult others because the have different opions. I'm not one of them, but there are a lot of guys on this board that are very good fisherman, who catch cows and release them . I respect them more than those that kill for glory. And thats the point, its not for food, its for glory. I have no problem with commercial guys, they're making $. Its a job. People eat bass and they supply it.
I'll share one last thing, take it for what you will - many guys know I've went on and on about my Dad. Its 5yrs now that he is gone, he is one of the best fisherman I've ever know- never caught a striper from a boat, never went to Block, Cutty, never wore a wetsuit. He fished So County RI and Stratford/Bridgeport Ct. Mostly eels onley He has a bunch of 40s and 50s, alone, no buddies, no fishing clubs, just him. When he was in bed dying of cancer at 65, he said Jim, "I caught a lot of fish, a lot of big fish. I wish I never killed those 50s, what a waste" 100% true story. Everytime we looked at pics, my Mom would say, your dad always regretted keeping those fish. So to each his own, I've got something I need to carry on and someones legacy I need to preserve. Someday all that will matter is that you caught them.

numbskull
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I figured you'd go ballistic and so I tried to make it clear the guy deserves what he catches and that specialized large bait fishing for large fish is a skill just like other skills in fishing.

If you don't feel luck is involved as well, then we disagree.

CowHunter
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Its funny you have to insult people to try and make a point. I've barely posted on catch and release and am far from a hardcore tree hugger. I get riled up when people, like you, need to insult others because the have different opions. I'm not one of them, but there are a lot of guys on this board that are very good fisherman, who catch cows and release them . I respect them more than those that kill for glory. And thats the point, its not for food, its for glory. I have no problem with commercial guys, they're making $. Its a job. People eat bass and they supply it.
I'll share one last thing, take it for what you will - many guys know I've went on and on about my Dad. Its 5yrs now that he is gone, he is one of the best fisherman I've ever know- never caught a striper from a boat, never went to Block, Cutty, never wore a wetsuit. He fished So County RI and Stratford/Bridgeport Ct. Mostly eels onley He has a bunch of 40s and 50s, alone, no buddies, no fishing clubs, just him. When he was in bed dying of cancer at 65, he said Jim, "I caught a lot of fish, a lot of big fish. I wish I never killed those 50s, what a waste" 100% true story. Everytime we looked at pics, my Mom would say, your dad always regretted keeping those fish. So to each his own, I've got something I need to carry on and someones legacy I need to preserve. Someday all that will matter is that you caught them.

Understandable, thats good for him, but he still killed em and just because he regrets it doesnt mean others should not kill a trophy.... Question? How long did it take for smart remarks and insults to be made at that guy for killing the fish???? Its the same people everytime...

CowHunter
07-08-2010, 08:55 AM
I figured you'd go ballistic and so I tried to make it clear the guy deserves what he catches and that specialized large bait fishing for large fish is a skill just like other skills in fishing.

If you don't feel luck is involved as well, then we disagree.

Of Course there is some Luck, Always is! But there is a reason you see the same guys off the surf and off the boat consistantly catching slobs....

I cant help myself for going Ballistic!

numbskull
07-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Dont worry, Maybe if everybody stops killing these big fish, you to can get Lucky because then it will be easy!?!?!? JUST TEASING!

This is not teasing, it is fact. I fish inefficently, and nowhere near as hard as many. I need a lot more big fish around and a lot more luck to land a 40lb fish, nevermind a 60. No way I "deserve" a 60, and certainly this guy (and you as well) probably do.

How I fish, is my choice and I accept the consequences. Excuse me, however, if large boat fish taken on bait do not impress me as much as they impress you. To each their own.

CowHunter
07-08-2010, 09:16 AM
This is not teasing, it is fact. I fish inefficently, and nowhere near as hard as many. I need a lot more big fish around and a lot more luck to land a 40lb fish, nevermind a 60. No way I "deserve" a 60, and certainly this guy (and you as well) probably do.

How I fish, is my choice and I accept the consequences. Excuse me, however, if large boat fish taken on bait do not impress me as much as they impress you. To each their own.

I understand that completely... Wish I could fish more myself the way I want but I cant.. I did 60 trips on the water this year and only fish 5 days so imagine what thats like. The time I have left for me has to count!
I put alot of time off the surf over the years and yes, it is more challenging and rewarding to land a slob of SE Light Block Island and I would take a 60 that way Anyday, heck the way Ive been tossed around out there swimming to the outer rocks.... But what a rush I must say, 2-30-300am on a commerial day, 25-30 knots out of the SW, 5 boats attempted to make it out of the harbor got slammed by waves in the dark breaking over the bow turned around and came back in saying its impossible... What a challenge, running in the dark, walls of water, wind howling, running through quicks, wind against tide, huge wave breaks into the boat, turned side ways, bailing water, 1000's lbs water in the boat, giving throttle, wont budge... Barely make it through, continue on, now through Gay Head... Vineyard sound, what a mess! Sun Cracks, Not a boat in site, on the fishing grounds and what a bite!! 800lbs on the deck, and boy do they Count!

I get in my rambles, point is Boat and surf is as challenging as we make it.... Take the surf guy that fishes a frozen bunker head on a flat calm high noon day, dead sticked, sipping margharitas in a lawn chair.... Guess a 60 caught by him is more well deserved because its off the surf...

Starting Monday its 24 days straight... Enjoying the little break I have!

Back Beach
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Anybody wanna borrow my son's lullaby cd?

RIJIMMY
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Anybody wanna borrow my son's lullaby cd?

nah, a few beers and bong hits and I get in the same condition

Bronko
07-08-2010, 09:39 AM
By the way... Heard a 64 was killed of Block last night!

It was from an extremely lucky angler, he has been very lucky this year and as a matter of fact has had incredible luck the last few years. I mean, who gets lucky enought to get a 53.10, and 51.50 wieghed in for athe cup this year and tops it off with a 64??? MAybe his luck ran out and he wont catch and kill anymore hogs? All those Sterile Breeders at the end of their life which are all dead now???

OTW on facebook says it was Mike Lanni and the fish weighed 64lbs. Wow.

good2hook
07-08-2010, 09:39 AM
fish of a lifetime. Congrats to the guy who caught it.
boo hiss to the guys who are busting his balls over it.
Not this site too.:hs:

CowHunter
07-08-2010, 09:49 AM
OTW on facebook says it was Mike Lanni and the fish weighed 64lbs. Wow.

Yup

ProfessorM
07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
enjoyed the banter guys, nutin wrong with people who have passion in what they believe, even if they are on opposite sides of the subject. It's healthy to get each perspective and adds to the site IMO, no matter how many times it comes up.

ecduzitgood
07-08-2010, 11:29 AM
enjoyed the banter guys, nutin wrong with people who have passion in what they believe, even if they are on opposite sides of the subject. It's healthy to get each perspective and adds to the site IMO, no matter how many times it comes up.
:claps:well said!
What a nice catch, I guess I can put the rod away now because there couldn't be any other big fish left;)

Jim in CT
07-08-2010, 11:39 AM

As a disclaimer, I caught a 59 pounder once that I knew was the biggest striper in the Fisherman magazine's annual dream boat contest, and so I kept the fish (and alas, didn't win the 24 foot Triton, even though I was contacting marinas to reserve a slip). I felt, and still feel, awful about it. I did eat all the fillets (which tasted just like a 29" fish), but I did feel guilty about killing what was at least a 25 year-old fish.

That being said, I don't think he "pissed" all over the thread (not if you take the time to read what he actually wrote). And if his agenda is the health of the stock, I wouldn't trivialize it as his "own little agenda", because that's my agenda, and yours, too.

I don't begrudge anyone else keeping a trophy. If I had thousands of dollars to gain in a contest, money that could go in my kids' 529 plans, I'd probably keep another. I wouldn't do it just for a keepsake though, but that's just my $0.02.

And I don't see the relevence of suggesting you can't preach release unless you have caught one that big. Using that logic, I could say no one can support that guy unless you caught one that big, and few of us have.

sokinwet
07-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Hey Ken - Tell Frankie congrat's on the "60" from the "northern contingent" of Team RD!! I'll bet the little guy is feeling pretty tall right about now!! I was out at Stellwagen chasing tuna and shaking off bass when I got your text/pic...amazing numbers of big fish out there but Frankies fish is truly a once in a lifetime fish for most guys. PS Every time I look at the board the guys have upped the anti to make the top ten....I'm humbled (almost) by you Jersey guys.

JohnnyD
07-08-2010, 12:21 PM
There's so much love and cheer in here that I feel like I'm going to get diabetes.

Saltheart
07-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Nice Fish! Congrats on fullfilling a dream.

I read all the posts. Its pretty surprising when the thread started to blow up. I didn't see anything way out of line or at a Peta level.

As much as people are entitled to catch , keep , take a picture and display that picture (all OK to me), receive congrats and words of envy at the luck and /or skill to have caught the fish , people are entitled to post a lament for a truly great fish's end.

I didn't see anything like "He's a murderer or "that fish was in pain when it died" , or other radical Peta type posts. I saw some people sharing the thrill of the catch , some enjoying seeing the pics , some disinterested and some thinking it should have been released. I honestly don't care whether people release any particular fish. They catch it , its their right to decide what to do with it.

Its too bad these threads flare up. IMO the Catch and Keep are way to combative about the opinions of the Catch and Release Types and the Catch and Release types are inconsiderate about posting their opinions in the threads that are started to show a fishermans success.

There is no need to encourage the Catch and Keeps to post pictures. many many large fish pictures are posted by the Angler or the business interest involved in the catch (Charter Boats or Commercial Fisherman). Its natural to want to show your success. I think the Catch and Release buys could learn something from them. I think the Catch and Release guys, who care so much as to always comment on the killing of a fish in a big fish picture, should post more pics of the big fish they catch and the act of releasing the same. To me they would recruit more people to the cause by such positive in nature pics than to only use dead fish pics posts as launch pads to promote catch and release.

Now just for the purpose of full disclosure , everyone I fish with knows I'm a Catch and release fisherman with few exceptions. The few exceptions relate to specific requests for some fish to eat by neighbors and friends. I do not look for people to eat the fish I catch but people know I fish and some on there own ask if I could bring them some fillets to eat. So I do. Some years I catch several hundred fish and keep zero. Some years I'm lucky to get a 100 and might keep 3 or 4. So anyway , just so people know my own practices relative to Catch and Release when they read what's posted above.

lastly , the issue of skill vs luck in catching a big fish also comes up all the time and people also overreact to these things. No matter what the accomplishment , people will be divided on how they respond. Some of your best friends may be busting your nuts saying "Lucky" while some of the most envious may post the classiest formal "Congratulations on your impressive catch". Then everything erupts between people who have no idea whether the initial posts were said in jest or with affection or with "curses of bad luck forever" on the fisherman.

Me personally , I am not impressed by the catch of any fish taken by anyone associated with a commercial venture. These fish are caught by or with the help of a professional fisherman. Just as an engineer is supposed to be good at his job , professional fisherman are supposed to be good at their job. I don't hear anyone praising a grocery store cashier for ringing a register a whole week without a single mistake. No stories and praise about a guy who got to the airport on time because a paid limo service drove him there. So that's how I feel about professionally caught fish and in my opinion , anyone on a Charter is part of the activity of catching a "professionally caught fish". Now I have nothing against that activity. I like to take a cod trip now and then. I hope to do a tuna trip sometime.etc. It's almost certain I will never have a boat equiped for going after Giant Bluefin tuna or ever small BFT so if I ever hope to catch one , I know I will pay a guy to make it happen. I will have no illusions that I am a great tuna fisherman if I catch a big one. I will feel lucky to have been on a boat with a captain who knew what he was doing and I'll be glad I spent the money to do it.

Now I know I've said lots of things people will agree with and lots that people will disagree with. Who cares. Its an honest expression of my thinking on fishing. It's is a personal matter as to how and why I do it. I like being able to go ( someday I won't be able to do it anymore), I like going with friends (peoples lives change and people die , enjoy your friends and fishing with them while you can) and I always hope to catch at least one every trip (Despite catching thousands of fish in my life , I still get a thrill when something suddenly pulls back).

If you have the desire to stick your nose into other peoples fishing , you should do so in a positive manner. Respect that its their experience , not yours so you should keep out of someone elses fishing experience unless you will contribute to it in a positve manner. Start your own thread(s) and promote whatever you want. I think you'll recruit many more to your side being positive (whichever side you are on) than by doing in situations where its almost certainly going to turn negative.

BassDawg
07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
where's that friggin' popcorn icon???

:love: LOVE THIS THREAD :love:

points well made, points well taken, and

no shots below the belt, relatively speaking.

ain't this what America is ALL about??
thanks Bossman for providing the venue!!!

WHOOOOOP there it IIIIIIIIS, WHOOOOOOP WHOOOOP!!

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk: THERE IT IIIIIIS :lurk: :lurk: :lurk:

JohnR
07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Nice Fish! Congrats on fullfilling a dream.

I read all the posts. Its pretty surprising when the thread started to blow up. I didn't see anything way out of line or at a Peta level.

As much as people are entitled to catch , keep , take a picture and display that picture (all OK to me), receive congrats and words of envy at the luck and /or skill to have caught the fish , people are entitled to post a lament for a truly great fish's end.

I didn't see anything like "He's a murderer or "that fish was in pain when it died" , or other radical Peta type posts. I saw some people sharing the thrill of the catch , some enjoying seeing the pics , some disinterested and some thinking it should have been released. I honestly don't care whether people release any particular fish. They catch it , its their right to decide what to do with it.

Its too bad these threads flare up. IMO the Catch and Keep are way to combative about the opinions of the Catch and Release Types and the Catch and Release types are inconsiderate about posting their opinions in the threads that are started to show a fishermans success.

There is no need to encourage the Catch and Keeps to post pictures. many many large fish pictures are posted by the Angler or the business interest involved in the catch (Charter Boats or Commercial Fisherman). Its natural to want to show your success. I think the Catch and Release buys could learn something from them. I think the Catch and Release guys, who care so much as to always comment on the killing of a fish in a big fish picture, should post more pics of the big fish they catch and the act of releasing the same. To me they would recruit more people to the cause by such positive in nature pics than to only use dead fish pics posts as launch pads to promote catch and release.

Now just for the purpose of full disclosure , everyone I fish with knows I'm a Catch and release fisherman with few exceptions. The few exceptions relate to specific requests for some fish to eat by neighbors and friends. I do not look for people to eat the fish I catch but people know I fish and some on there own ask if I could bring them some fillets to eat. So I do. Some years I catch several hundred fish and keep zero. Some years I'm lucky to get a 100 and might keep 3 or 4. So anyway , just so people know my own practices relative to Catch and Release when they read what's posted above.

lastly , the issue of skill vs luck in catching a big fish also comes up all the time and people also overreact to these things. No matter what the accomplishment , people will be divided on how they respond. Some of your best friends may be busting your nuts saying "Lucky" while some of the most envious may post the classiest formal "Congratulations on your impressive catch". Then everything erupts between people who have no idea whether the initial posts were said in jest or with affection or with "curses of bad luck forever" on the fisherman.

Me personally , I am not impressed by the catch of any fish taken by anyone associated with a commercial venture. These fish are caught by or with the help of a professional fisherman. Just as an engineer is supposed to be good at his job , professional fisherman are supposed to be good at their job. I don't hear anyone praising a grocery store cashier for ringing a register a whole week without a single mistake. No stories and praise about a guy who got to the airport on time because a paid limo service drove him there. So that's how I feel about professionally caught fish and in my opinion , anyone on a Charter is part of the activity of catching a "professionally caught fish". Now I have nothing against that activity. I like to take a cod trip now and then. I hope to do a tuna trip sometime.etc. It's almost certain I will never have a boat equiped for going after Giant Bluefin tuna or ever small BFT so if I ever hope to catch one , I know I will pay a guy to make it happen. I will have no illusions that I am a great tuna fisherman if I catch a big one. I will feel lucky to have been on a boat with a captain who knew what he was doing and I'll be glad I spent the money to do it.

Now I know I've said lots of things people will agree with and lots that people will disagree with. Who cares. Its an honest expression of my thinking on fishing. It's is a personal matter as to how and why I do it. I like being able to go ( someday I won't be able to do it anymore), I like going with friends (peoples lives change and people die , enjoy your friends and fishing with them while you can) and I always hope to catch at least one every trip (Despite catching thousands of fish in my life , I still get a thrill when something suddenly pulls back).

If you have the desire to stick your nose into other peoples fishing , you should do so in a positive manner. Respect that its their experience , not yours so you should keep out of someone elses fishing experience unless you will contribute to it in a positve manner. Start your own thread(s) and promote whatever you want. I think you'll recruit many more to your side being positive (whichever side you are on) than by doing in situations where its almost certainly going to turn negative.

Wish I could state things that well.

One thing I don't believe - sometimes at the expense of this forum - is over censoring what is being said. So please, discuss and post your points but please do so in a manner that is not malicious or simply mean. Arguing your case in a little more respectful manner will pay dividends.

Sweetwater
07-08-2010, 05:03 PM
boatfish dont count

:hidin:
Both Tony Stetzko and Charlie Cinto have 73 lb'ers to their credit. Cinto's was from a boat and Stetzko's from the beach. I've never once heard anyone diminish Cinto's fish from Sow and Pigs vs. Stetzko's from Nauset Beach (or there abouts). Beach or boat, and 73 lb'er is a fish of a lifetime.

Boatfish count.

chathamblue30
07-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Fish of a lifetime Ken is right the fellow deserves a huge pat on the back for the achievement and should be able to do what he wants with his catch. I think all of us know how many 40 plus pound bass are sold every yr in the commercial fisheries for a few dollars per pound,none of these fish are ever put back to be caught another day,maybe a slot limit there might help a tad more than these few trophy fish caught every yr by hard core recreational anglers. Take a drive sometime to the docks in New Bedford to see the numerous 40 plus pound bass sold every day during the commercial season and all of us will respect this fellows decision about his trophy fish. Ken you are 100% right about the bait as well,look at the additional 73+ inch tuna landed last yr in mass vs yrs past due to the herring restrictions,if we put limits on the pogeys here these fish would also be sitting in vinyard sound and cuttyhunk again like they were in years past.

CowHunter
07-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Both Tony Stetzko and Charlie Cinto have 73 lb'ers to their credit. Cinto's was from a boat and Stetzko's from the beach. I've never once heard anyone diminish Cinto's fish from Sow and Pigs vs. Stetzko's from Nauset Beach (or there abouts). Beach or boat, and 73 lb'er is a fish of a lifetime.

Boatfish count.

It is what it is at the scale... period.

Shame on those that belittle others catches, they dont ever, ever deserve better...

RIJIMMY
07-08-2010, 07:31 PM
It is what it is at the scale... period.

Shame on those that belittle others catches, they dont ever, ever deserve better...

nebe was bustin balls guys

JohnnyD
07-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Boatfish count.

Boatfish count. I guess bait from shore counts... but there's no way bait from a boat counts. :devil2:

MAKAI
07-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Wait till you start live lining macs.:uhuh:

JohnR
07-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Wait till you start live lining macs.:uhuh:

That is SO FUN.

Boatfish count, obviously. I do believe (and zero disrespect to boaters) that a 50# from surf beats a 50# from boat, in that it is usually harder to attain.

While we sometimes get lost in the boat -v- surf comparison, to exceed at either takes the application of skill to achieve.

The Dad Fisherman
07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
nebe was bustin balls guys

Really....that's so unlike him.....

BassDawg
07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
WITHOUT stirring it ALL up~~~~

for reels,,,,,,,,,,,,Boat fish DO NOT count!!

they never have and they never will,,,,,,,,,,,

<<<and here is where you should pay close attention>>>

from the perspective of devoted surfcasters,
SURFcasters i say, isay isay, SURFcasting that is!!

WITHOUT going into the oblivion of the obvious,
it is simply NOT the same game and the only common denominator is
that there is a Striped Bass at the end of the line or on the scale.

and here's another wrinkle to throw at ya'll. a Ditch Feesh beats a surf fish, all day long!!

at the Ditch a 20 feels like a 30, 30 like a 40, a 40 ~you get the idea. factor in current, structure, accessability, bait presence, migrational path, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we could even get supra technical and separate boulder caught from beach caught, bait caught from AYC caught, breachway caught from canal caught within the surf catching genre. the point being that surfcasting, by its nature, has its own and unique difficulties that make IT surfcasting.

it does not diminish either accomplishment; but, to equate them, imho,
is quite ludicrous and ignores the inherent DIFFERENCES between the two disciplines.
difference is okay, difference is reality.

This world is trying it's damndest to universalize EVERYTHING. The gross homogenization of the planet, so that nothing/no one is superior and all things/everyone is mediocre is a slippery slope that has become a landslide. The celebration of mediocraty is killing GREATNESS, true greatness, in its purest and essential form. We have been lowering our higher standards and elevating the bottom to the point that all we will have left is a mild, milk-toast, middle that ALL can acheive. And in doing so, the acknowledgement of absolutes has become marginalized, or ignored at worst, even though their very existence has not diminished. Whatever happened to Go for it!!? IT being the 'creme da la creme'. See our schools, the job place, health care, and even fishing(25#'ers considered LAHHHHGE). I want to aspire to supreme excellence(IGFA world records) and enjoy the many and varied crests, precipices, valleys, narrow paths, and rolling meadows that that particular journey entails,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Even if I DON'T get there, at the bare minimum, I have aimed for the mountain top and its rarified air.

Sadly WE the people,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,has been usurped by ME the people.

One needs only look to the plight of the Atlantic Coast Menhaden to understand how the "few" are holding hostage the common wealth of the "many". Further, the current state of our oceans and estuaries, while improved, bemoan a more proactive approach to their rescue and conservation NOW ~strictly from a resource management perspective~ not later, and seems remotely imminent at best. Where is the priority? Whose going to speak to the providence of their fortunes, or are they just expendable victims to be wasted by the whims of the almighty dollar? Which generation will cease and desist the status quo to do what is prudent and RIGHT for us all; that is to say planet, species, and peoples?

By accepting all things as good, embracing everything under the rainbow, and by widening the road to Heaven we are exactly where those that would have us to believe that light is dark and dark is light want us to be. When we ~at long last~ have replaced Biblical Correctness with political correctness, then we will have succeeded with the undoing of America. For truly, my dear friends and countrymen, Political Correctness is the scourge of nations and the battle cry of cowards!! This GREAT Land of ours was founded on principles and doctrines that are nothing more than mere shadows of their former selves.

Change has been thrust upon our doorstep!! This is OUR time, and WE are the ones being chosen to take formative action to recreate a "more perfect Union". Will our legacy arise, or will we remain sheep fit for the ensuing slaughter? For how much longer will we choose to look the other way, choose to seek the paths of least resistence, or choose to ignore that still small voice within that yearns to be HEARD? Action requires courage, revolution is paved by the blood of the innocent, and the complacency of luxury is wrought from the immeasurable expense of a bludgeoned and apathetic Nation.

SO, i ask you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do boat fish reeeely count?
~~Fix the FORAGE~~ ~~1 @ 36"~~ ~~ By the People, FOR the People, PEEPLES!! ~~

The Dad Fisherman
07-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Ya Know a "Wow, Nice fish" would have worked too....

BassDawg
07-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Ya Know a "Wow, Nice fish" would have worked too....

already said THAT :bl: :bl: :bl:

and i meant it, definitely a Fish of a Lifetime!!!
excellent work by angler and boat and electronics and GPS and live bait well and fish finder and,,,,,,,,,,,,
:rotf2: :rotf2: :rotf2: :rotf2:

Goose
07-09-2010, 02:28 PM
PM me the #'ers where fish was caught:D...and if I catch a bigger one I'll release it.:laugha:

MAKAI
07-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Of course boat fish count.
Would you turn down an invite to fish in a boat by people who could put you onto some quality fish ?
My fav is a howling onshore wind with big big surf and heavy tin. But just get out, any way, how or where.
We never get to fish enough.

numbskull
07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Cinto's fish was taken on a charter with one of the best striped bass boat fishermen ever, Frank Sabatowski. No question Cinto "deserved" his fish. He fished hard and worked hard to hire the guy who put him on it. Yet Sabatowski found that fish and dragged the plug in front of it. Something very similar happened recently with another hard fishing, dedicated fisherman and former poster who took a well deserved 60 while learning to fish chunks with his charter captain friend.

If I charter Cowhunter and he takes me in his boat, picks the spot, time, and tide, sets up the tackle, obtains the bait, tells me what to do and then I catch a world record.....who (after the bunker, of course ;)) really deserves the credit?

My point is that the accomplishment of any catch is often better measured by something other than the size of the fish.

MAKAI
07-10-2010, 08:40 AM
It's nothing more than an intersection of fates.
The more time you put in at favorable locations and conditions the more apt you are to be in the right place at the right time.

Doublerunner
07-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Saltheart.....great post. A classic and one that should be made a sticky for all to read.

RIJIMMY too bad so many people mis-interpretted your words. People hear what they want to hear. I give you credit for standing your ground while being bashed by people who were way out of line

Regarding luck. In most cases the people who are the "luckiest" are also the people who work the hardest

Congrats to Mr. Noto on his great catch. I am sure it was a great thrill

As many of you may remember I am against tournaments unless they are 100% catch and release. Killing fish for ego and $$$ is, in my opinion, wrong. At what point do we put aside our selfishness and do what is right? Some never will. Some will later in life. And some always will. We're all different

This thread's deterioration and how people have treated each other is a prime example of how we are all different. For those who have made their points without insulting others or the use of caps and many exclamation points I commend you.

The way I look at it...had this been a C&R tournament then there surely were other people on the boat who could have taken a pic of that fish and measured it and then released the fish alive. Then it's a win/win. The angler still gets credit and the fish lives on with the hopeful possibility of giving birth to thousands more stripers for us and future generations to enjoy

I've learned a lot getting to know some of the people here. There's no doubt the large majority here on this site are all about catching and killing the largest fish possible without any regard to the stock's sustainability because it's all about the ego and the $$$ and right now and screw the future. I will avoid all shows and vendors who support that mentality. If our beloved stripers were more abundant perhaps I would not detest those who kill them for ego or $$$

There is no doubt that Mr Noto and others like him work hard to be able to catch fish like that. I would be more impressed if there was a picture of that fish swimming away rather than hanging from a meat hook

JohnR
07-10-2010, 05:39 PM
OK folks, perhaps this thread has (over)run its course.

A lot of us come from different perspectives which often clash. What may be OK with one doesn't jive with another. Happens.

I'm also willing to guess that some people's positions won't budge.

Kudos to the angler that got the fish, helluva fish. Seriously.