View Full Version : FYI Pogie Seining boats in the harbor

Fisherwoman
07-06-2010, 10:29 AM
If you all are interested in using pogies to fish with this season, then you need to participate in keeping he seiners in there own teritorry for pogies. If they are in these area's that they are not allowed in. Get involved. Get the lat & long of where they are at, take pictures of them when they are in there and what date they are there. They arer also not allowed to fish for pogies in the harbor this year on Friday, saturday or sunday.

The only way we will be able to keep them in control and doing things the right way is to get involved not just sit back and complain so please lets all work together. Alot of us went to the Division of marine fisheries last year because of the pogie boats fishing where they were not supposed to be and the division did act. If they keep at it we will have the same problem we had last year. No Bait and No fish. Below are the new restriction on the seiners this year. read it and print it and keep in on your vessel. IF you have any info of them being where they should not be. contact me or Chuck Cassella who is on the fishiers commision board.
Please read the regulations below.

I will also post a map of where the bounderies are in another post.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Division of Marine Fisheries
251 Causeway Street, Suite 400
Boston, Massachusetts 02114
(617)626-1520
fax (617)626-1509

PURSE SEINE CONDITIONS

1) Concentrations of fixed gear shall be avoided (Chapter 130, Section 31)

2) Concentration of sport fishing activity shall be avoided

3) Only species named on the permit may be taken and retained by the permit holder. All other species shall be immediately released alive.

4) The Director may establish buffer zones, restrict areas or otherwise modify the areas authorized in the permit to prevent conflicts.

5) Catch reports may be required by the Director on an annual basis.

6) No dead fish shall be dumped.

7) The Director shall have the power to limit, suspend or revoke this Special Permit if in his judgment, significant damage or disruption to other fisheries is indicated.

8) As a condition of this special permit to purse seine, the permit holder agrees that the Director or his agents shall have the right to board a vessel engaged in the regulated fishery and, in addition, he or his agents shall have the power to immediately suspend fishing operations to protect other fisheries or avoid conflicts between user groups.

9) The Harbormasters of any of the towns or cities bordering the regulated fishing areas listed on the permit shall have the right to board and inspect purse seiners in the listed areas after consultation with the Director, may with his approval, suspend fishing operation if warranted.

10) Operations will be limited to one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

11) The use of spotter planes will be allowed only after 8 A.M. away from residential areas.

12) Beginning in 1992, no seines larger than 600 feet (100 fathoms) may be used.

13) All carrier vessels must obtain a Bait Dealers permit from the Division of Marine Fisheries.

14) There will be no lawful purse seine activities in Boston or Salem harbor on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

15) Restricted Areas – Beginning in 1992

a. Hingham Bay – No vessels will be permitted inside Hull Guy and West Gut unless they fish with a hand hauled net no larger than 400’ x 30’. No spotter planes.

b. Charles River – inside a line drawn from Pier 4 in Charlestown to the easternmost Coast Guard Pier.

c. Mystic River – above a line drawn from the end of the Massport concrete pier to the white storage tanks at the Exxon Terminal. Fishing may only be conducted above the Mystic River Bridge from ½ hour before sunrise to 8A.M. Each purse seine operation is allowed to make one successful set when fishing above the Mystic River Bridge between ½ hour before sunrise until 8A.M.

d. The Chelsea River – shall be fished on a cooperative basis by entering and leaving as a group with approval of the pilot. No more than one set may be made at a time. Participating vessels will have loaded all fish from the first set before a second set is made.

e. Dorchester – inside a line drawn from U Mass to the “Corita” Gas Tank.

f. Neponset River – above the express way.

g. Marina Bay – inside the break water

h. Wier River – above red nun 8.

i. All A designated anchorage areas.

i. Winthrop - Winthrop – Pleasant Yatch Club, Stay to the west of a line drawn from the red n “10” buoy to the west shore of Bell Isle Inlet.
ii. South Boston
iii. Dorchester – Columbia Point inside closure line
iv. Quincy – Wallaston Anchorage inside a line drawn from the spire on Squantum to the end of Fenno Street at Quincy Shore Drive.
v. Quincy – Black Creek, Merrymount
vi. Quincy- Quincy Yacht Club – Hough’s Neck
vii. Hingham – Crow Point, either side of channel
viii. Hingham – Town Pier.

i. Quincy Bay – no vessel will be permitted to fish in the waters west of a line drawn from the point of rocks on the east side of Squantum Neck to the easternmost end of the Merrymount designated "A Anchorage Area" in Quincy, including that anchorage area.

j. Winthrop Harbor – no vessel will be permitted to fish waters north of a line drawn from the number 1 day marker to the southern end of Coughlin Park, Winthrop and East of line drawn from the number 1 day marker to the Cottage Park Yacht Club, Winthrop.

k. Winthrop– the waters to the north of a line drawn from the number "1" day marker south of Snake Island to the easternmost end of the Logan Airport runway 27, and west of a line drawn from the "1" day marker to the Cottage Park Yacht Club, excluding the Winthrop designated "A Anchorage Area shall only be fished from ½ hour before sunrise to 8AM and with nets no larger than 400’ x 30’.

l. All A designated anchorage areas.

i. Winthrop – Pleasant Yatch Club, Stay to the west of a line drawn from the red n “10” buoy to the west shore of Bell Isle Inlet.
ii. South Boston
iii. Dorcester – Columbia Point inside closure line
iv. Quincy – Quincy Yacht Club – Hough’s Neck
v. Hingham – Crow Point, either side of channel
vi. Hingham – Town Pier.

Fisherwoman
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Maybe someone or a moderator could make this a sticky as well as add it to the main forum.
thanks Jules

Swimmer
07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
A phone call to the 24 hour line helps a great deal also. All they have to do is request a flyover from the Mass State police helicopter and bingo, they are caught. I did that with the squid boats a few years ago off south cape and its been pretty good since then. To get a quick response it helps to stand behind the call and leave your name and number.

Fisherwoman
07-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info swimmer, I appreciate it. By the way Bill and I want to wish you a happy retirement!!!