View Full Version : That wind is Kickin'

JohnR
12-12-2000, 05:35 PM
Guts to 60mph, power and telco lines down, dogs and cats falling from the sky, it's unnatural... But it sure felt like mid April this morning. Warm, hard south west winds... Then it got cold!!

What's your worst wind related fishing story??

I remember, must have been 93 or 94, fishing the Vineyard the weekend before labor day. We had a late afternoon ferry back to the mainland and decided, nasty weather or not, to get some last fishing in before we left. We loaded up the beer and bucktails and went to Wasque Point. Unfishable!! Wind was gusting to 50 mph from right to left. Cast straight out, reel in to get tension on the line but the bucktail was already dragging in the sand 100 feet down wind. Cast upwind, same story. The wind was blowing the sand so hard that the sand and small rocks along the beach were punching holes in our beer cans unless we put them below the high point of the sand. When we did that, the beer just got sand inside the can :'( ... (I rarely drink while fishing, often takes away from the experience :P )

After realizing what the blowing sand was doing to the beer cans, I went over to the only vehicle parked on the beach (we had our car up at the lot) where the owner was snoozing. I went over to the windward side of his nearly new Explorer and looked at the damage done. The sandblasting literally wore off the clear coat and was working on the regular paint. This nearly new Explorer had a dull finnish now!! He was tweaked when we woke him up and he was even more tweaked when he saw the side of his truck...

Never did get a hit that day...

Got Stripers
12-12-2000, 08:21 PM
Fishing off Cohasset about 2-3 years ago and I could see a front coming, but had no idea how bad it was going to be. I try to keep close tabs on the weather but nobody predicted anything. I think this was late June and I thought, well just a passing shower coming our way no big deal.

Then I looked over towards Hull and the shoreline had disappeared behind a wall of rain and we scrambled to get into our rain gear, knowing full well a downpour was headed our way. The 15 mph winds suddenly went to probably 60-70 and the rain was horizontal and pelting us in the face. A light chop turned into 6 footers in probably less than 15 minutes, it was just too weired to discribe.

We continued to drift eels figuring, no way I wanted to make a run for Scituate in that stuff and actually picked up 4 quick keepers before it became dangerous. We started taking water over the transom and we tucked in behind West Shag to wait it out. I don't think it lasted more than an hour, but man was it wild. I can't imagine how rough it was a couple miles out, because we were in 6 footers and the wind only had that small stretch from Nantasket to Cohasset to build those waves.

Tight lines.

JohnR
12-13-2000, 08:47 AM
Pretty Snotty!! I got stuck in 6 and 7 footers and 40-50 mph gusts off Annapolis about 10 years ago in my 19' bowrider. I had alot of water coming over the bow of the boat and in, even with the front cover snapped in place. Fortunately, the bilge pump had been upgraded for the tiny standard model because it was still working over time to keep up. I had to travel about 4 miles to get to the launch ramp and pull out. But I wasn't fishing that day, just making a liesurely cruise ???

schoolie monster
12-14-2000, 03:39 PM
No real story to tell, except when I was out on a swordboat back in 1991 in 70 footers with that guy from ER and Marky Mark... oh wait... that wasn't me...

Anyway, I was thinkin' about you the other day when that wind came up. Was wondering how it was down by the water and I was wishing I could walk down the street to check out the ocean.

Hope the little dude weathered the storm OK...

JohnR
12-15-2000, 03:01 PM
You were Bugsy, right? Nice pickup lines at the bar BTW... :P

sand_man
12-15-2000, 06:04 PM
I did a lot of canyon fishing off of LI in the 70's and 80's but it was always in a large safe boat. We had hit some very heavy weather but I was never as worried as the day I was in a boston whaler...

For me the worst was a flat calm day in a boston whaler fishing around Block back in 1982/3. It was so nice and the fish were biting...it was great. We broke out the light tackle and headed for a ledge about 12 miles south of the Island. I said I normally don't like going off shore in a whaler but it was like a mill pond warm and sunny, not a cloud or even a breeze. We got out to the spot and hooked into some amazing fish (we were chumming). Had a ball until I looked up after hearing a faint rumble. I then saw the blackest cloud. It had a green/purple tint to it. And it was making a beeline right for us and we could not go around it. I looked at my friend and said. This looks bad, lets get the hell back to Block now! We ran wide open for about 10 minutes and got nailed. The gusts were unreal . Lighting hitting the water all around. Water was pooring over the bow, running the lenght of thq 16 ft boat, slamming into and over the transome . Stuff was washing overboard. I was worried about losing the whole boat and had my life vest on. The waves were so big relitive to the boat that your perspective changes. It was raining so hard and the wind was blowing the seas you could not see a GD thing. We just qrt'ed into it with the boat in the steepest bow up angle and ran slowly like that until it passed. I saw mini twisters and stuff I never saw before. Then it passed. The wind stopped and the seas calmed and the sun came out. We went to our house at Block and spend the next few days on dry land. My wife asked....Gee there was a bad thunder storm here did you guys get wet?..WET? hell no! we avoided that storm and we caugh a hell of a lot of fish! How do you want to cook them?

Never been in a whaler since. Good little boat but don't take it out of the bay.