View Full Version : Hooking Up and Hanging Out flea market--July 31

Mike P
07-09-2010, 01:13 PM
The Stan Gibbs Cape Cod Canal Fisherman's Classic is sponsoring a fund raising flea market in the town park, next to the RRB in Buzzards Bay, on July 31. It starts at 8 AM and runs to 6 PM. Admission is free. Food and cold drinks will be available at a modest charge. vendors will be selling used/new tackle. I'm told there are still tables available--they are $30. Vendors can share a table and split the cost. After that, whatever is made off sales belongs to the vendor

Rumor has it that there may even be entertainment. :rotf2:

The $30 table fee goes to a fund for the erection of a statue honoring all Canal fishermen, past, present and future, that hopefully will be erected somewhere in the park.

JohnR
07-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Will go if in town.

tysdad115
07-09-2010, 03:21 PM
A 7:26AM slack tide and a flea market? See you there!

ProfessorM
07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
darn that is same day as the antique plug thing up in NH I am going to. Crap.

all fisherman? , did they can the stan gibbs statue idea Mike?

Tagger
07-09-2010, 03:58 PM
darn that is same day as the antique plug thing up in NH I am going to.

need a driver ?

ProfessorM
07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Capesams is driving, but I am sure you could tag along if he has room. I think Tobias might be going too. We could play Zappa tunes all the way up, I am sure Steve would luv that. Want me to ask him? Let me know. I will put the call in

SurfCaster413
07-10-2010, 12:08 AM
I will be there for sure cash in hand too!

Mike P
07-10-2010, 07:50 AM
darn that is same day as the antique plug thing up in NH I am going to. Crap.

all fisherman? , did they can the stan gibbs statue idea Mike?

It was never going to be a memorial to or otherwise honor Stan. The idea was to erect a statue honoring all Canal fishermen, to give the walking/biking tourists--and not incidently, the town--the importance of Canal fishermen to the local economy. They selected an image of Stan for the person on the statue, but 98% of the people who see it will have no idea who it is. I was told at the spring BBQ that the name of the Stan Gibbs Cape Cod Canal Fishermen's Classic won't even appear on the pedestal.

ProfessorM
07-10-2010, 10:48 AM
sounds like a nice idea. thanks for the explanation, specifics. Hope you guys raise a lot of $$$$$. P.

Rob Rockcrawler
07-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I stopped in at the flea market last year. A lot of good deals to be had and a couple sausages for the road.

capesams
07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Capesams is driving, but I am sure you could tag along if he has room. I think Tobias might be going too. We could play Zappa tunes all the way up, I am sure Steve would luv that. Want me to ask him? Let me know. I will put the call in

I have ear plugs..custom made from cherry w/gold gromets an spiners.

tagger only needs to get to pauls if u want a free ride.

FishFighter
07-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I'll Be There!

Mike P
07-30-2010, 03:41 PM
So will I. I'll be sharing a table with Rick Hern. Rick has a lot of stuff, so I'll only have the edge of a table. :grins:

Driftwood1
07-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Was planning to go but instead my son talked me into taking him on the Frances Fleet PJ. for some fluke and sea bass.

Would have liked meeting up with you again Mike perhaps some night on the canal. Its going to be a very nice day not to hot. Enjoy

JohnnySaxatilis
07-31-2010, 12:33 PM
fished with jay (westportmafia) early this morning from 2 to 6am, he's also got a table in the flea mrket with a bunch of stuff im guna try to get my hands on. Im guna bolt early from work if my boss leaves and try to make it down there before 6. Hope to see some of u there!

Mike P
08-01-2010, 12:36 PM
It was a fun time yesterday, and I made a little bit of money, too.

Thanks to Rick for letting me share his space, and to Sea Dangles for the Langley Spinator he gave me.

Fewer vendors and smaller crowds than last year---the parking lot closure and the horrible Cape traffic had a lot to do with the latter part--but it was a fun time.

PNG
08-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Fewer vendors and smaller crowds than last year---the parking lot closure and the horrible Cape traffic had a lot to do with the latter part--but it was a fun time.

Tried to get over the bridge before 8am...looking for cheap sebiles:bl:...traffic was twoblocked...fought my way round the rotary back home. Traffic has been an absolute bear this year:whackin:

ProfessorM
08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
you got that right. If I work during the day I have to go the back road just to get to the friggin Bourne Bridge. Thursdays have been worse for me than Fridays. Got some good deals last year sorry i had to miss it this year.

Slipknot
08-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I have also noticed this years traffic has been a nightmare and i wonder what the heck the reason is:huh:
what is different from last year? Is everyone traveling at the same times and hitting the bridges all at once or what? 495 Friday night was backed up way past rt 24 all the way past 138 and beyond.
Sat. changeover day gets bad earlier than it ever did, I don't get it.

Mike P
08-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Yesterday was a bad changeover day because a lot of people take the last two weeks of July for vacation. The last Saturday in July is almost always the worst traffic day of the year

From what my wife told me when she dropped by the flea market, in the early afternoon, Scenic Highway was backed up from the Belmont Circle rotary all the way onto Meetinghouse Road in Sagamore Beach.

Swimmer
08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I pulled in but did not bother to park. Had two fish to clean and freeze when I arrived home, so my conscience got the better of me.

JohnR
08-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Mike - had hoped to make it over there but couldn't :smash:

afterhours
08-03-2010, 07:15 AM
i stopped by after making a delivery to redtop. lots of great deals to be had! saw alot of sb'ers selling and buying.

FishFighter
08-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Had a great time wandering around! I got great deal on a sebile and lots of advice on how to use it. Rich Hern was unbelievable and walked me through switching out the split rings and hooks for me right there!

There was some great freshwater stuff too, took them up to Maine for my week off and caught a nice 4lb 10oz large mouth! No striper, but still a great fight on light line!

JohnR
08-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Fishfighter - what fort is in your picture?

Thanks,

John

good2hook
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Ricks table(s) were insane, He had some great stuff. Good to see the gang, good to just be out of the house.

macojoe
08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I went but did not buy much, a lot of guys way out of wack with there prices!! I could buy lots for less New.
I did get a new set of binoculars, but the lens covers no fit??

Since I live here was pretty easy in and out, nice way to spend some time out!

FishFighter
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
It's Castle Island in South Boston.

rickhern
08-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Had a great time wandering around! I got great deal on a sebile and lots of advice on how to use it. Rich Hern was unbelievable and walked me through switching out the split rings and hooks for me right there!

There was some great freshwater stuff too, took them up to Maine for my week off and caught a nice 4lb 10oz large mouth! No striper, but still a great fight on light line!

FishFighter, good to meet you. Good score you got on the sebile, report back when you get tight with it.