View Full Version : Owner to VMC Conversion

luds
07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Is anyone using Owner Trebles for bass? Probably overkill for the most part but I'm going to give them a whirl. Pretty frustrated with how fast my VMC trebles are rusting, even with split rings.

The question i have is what size owner hooks should I be getting to be the equivalent of a VMC 3/0 4x and 4/0 4x? Looking to stay relatively close in hook weight so I don't impact plug action. Based on a quick once over of some Owner 2/o's I could swap out a VMC 4/0 4x with them, add a split ring to the Owner, and I would get the same distance gap between the plug and the hook.

Anyone used these for bass plugs that can help me out. I'm willing to pay a little more if I can avoid changing out the hooks so often. I guess I should also ask how rust resistant the Owners are.

JFigliuolo
07-12-2010, 11:47 AM
If you rinse your plugs after fishing, hooks last infinitely longer. I don't do it, but I know guys that do. Works very well.

luds
07-12-2010, 11:49 AM
If you rinse your plugs after fishing, hooks last infinitely longer. I don't do it, but I know guys that do. Works very well.

Yeah, when it comes down to it I'm just looking for a more expensive solution to allow me to stay a lazy SOB. For what it's worth VMC's rust faster than the used to. I'm convinced of it!

JFigliuolo
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah, when it comes down to it I'm just looking for a more expensive solution to allow me to stay a lazy SOB. For what it's worth VMC's rust faster than the used to. I'm convinced of it!

I'm just as guilty... At the end of the night, I just want to get to bed as I usually have to work in a few hours...

eskimo
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
For what it's worth VMC's rust faster than the used to. I'm convinced of it!

I agree, with or without split rings. Hardly wash plugs unless I'm hosing a dirty bag. Seems a week after tossing a plug with new hooks they are trash.

I have some of the 3/0 owners (I think) and they seem to be the same size as a 4/0 vmc. I would be more bummed to lose hooks then a plug.

Not sure if this is correct but read somewhere that you couldn't cut the owners???

fishbones
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
The VMC's are definitely rusting faster than they used to. I finally started rinsing my plugs this year and I'm noticing much more rust than past years when I didn't rinse them. If you switch to Owners, let us know how it works out. I'm getting tired of rusty hooks.

JackK
07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
FWIW, the Owner stingers I've used on tuna plugs seem to rust much faster than VMCs... significant discoloration after one trip. These were attached by splits, so I dunno how they'd be if you cut them.

I bet they're still just as strong, however. I've straightened more VMCs and splits this year fishing boulder fields than I ever have before, and if it weren't completely cost prohibitive then I'd change all my hooks over to the owners. I only use the owner splits now- don't trust the other ones, wolverine or not. Haven't noticed any rust on those, yet.

Pete_G
07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I've had trouble putting a point back on an Owner once it gets banged up. I have stuck with VMC in the rocks for that reason as much as anything else. Once an Owner goes bad on a boat I typically call it quits on that hook.

I'd invest in a single pack to start. I don't think you'll be too impressed with their rust resistance either. The 2x (which are very strong, don't let the 2x fool you) are also the sharpest hook I've ever seen but they'll rust if you look at them wrong and the 4x aren't anything to brag about either.

Also, 4x Owners are HEAVY duty hooks, and don't grow in a linear fashion. On average though, drop down one size to a comparable 4x VMC 9626PS. 4/0 and 5/0 are giant hooks. You can be almost sure a striper won't straighten them though.

I've never tried to cut a Owner, but the metal they are made of always struck me as "brittle" compared to the VMC. Strong for sure, but it just doesn't feel like it wants to flex. But again I've never tried. I'll be interested to hear how you make out. :)

WoodyCT
07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Luds,
Owner Stingers run a size big. Their 4/0 is enormous. Drop down a size from what you normally use. They are thicker and heavier than VMC 6X also.

In 4/0 size: VMC 6X = 5g, Owner = 7g.

Here are 2 4/0z side by side.

PS- Can't cut Owners.